RPSGT in/around Maryland

Moderator: labman2

RPSGT in/around Maryland

Postby Joshibee » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:02 pm

I'm part of a small group of recent CAAHEP sleep program graduates out of the Baltimore area. With only the RPSGT credential (and RST in some cases) and no experience outside of the program itself (13 months of classwork with 120 hours of hands-on clinical proficiencies) what might we expect to be making as starting wages?

We understand it may differ depending on hospital vs agency vs private practice and also with scoring duties vs non-scoring techs. Any knowledgeable estimates are appreciated!
Joshibee

Postby SleepMGR » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:21 pm

I saw no one replied to you yet - this is general, but might gve you a ballpark at least. Note the small n tho.

http://www.sleepreviewmag.com/issues/ar ... -10_02.asp
SleepMGR

Postby Joshibee » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:06 pm

Thanks for your reply, the link was most interesting. That 55k average estimate hasn't quite lined up with the offers and yearly incomes I've been hearing about, telling me that maybe: 1. Maryland is a lower income section of the region, 2. the money isn't coming from a high hourly wage but from overtime hours and/or incentive related bonuses, or 3. most experienced techs in Maryland are already on the high end of the pay scale and the increase in inexperienced techs like myself introduced into the field will be putting the state on a downward trend. I certainly don't have enough information to draw the right conclusions, but it's interesting nonetheless.

But since the point of making this thread was to find appropriate starting wages, I can only report that right now I've heard between $19-22/hour for RPSGTs with no other sleep experience, but if you've heard better (or worse), do share!
Joshibee

Postby cybclimb » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:07 am

MD, DC region has one of the highest concentration of sleep labs and sleep tech in the US, as I was told by the Resmed regional sales manager years back. In 2006 as a newly minted RPSGT with 3 years experience, pay was like 22-23/hr with 2 pts acquisition/no scoring. I earned my RN, BSN and moved to ICU nursing in 2009. Pay and work hours are better, plus I want to be a nurse anesthetist. I continue to moonlight to a private lab nowadays with 2 pts and scoring on the fly with finished reports at the end of shift. No way Im going to be paid a measly 22/hr! I make closer to 30/hr but that is still lower than what I get as nurse. I just do it twice a month so that i could still be a practicing RPSGT. But I think pay now in the region is around 24-25/hr
cybclimb

Return to Salary Issues