RST vs RPSGT pay

Moderator: labman2

Postby Rocklandish » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:09 pm

MrBig wrote:Either way, it shows drive/commitment which is worth something.

How does putting effort into a credential that has yet to be recognized by any other body than it's creators show anything? I believe you guys are searching for validity over a bad decision at this point. I will not give it to you. The only way the RST gets off the ground is if the RPSGT supports it.
Rocklandish

Postby somnonaut » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:22 pm

HAHAHA,
Rock, you funny.

The RPSGT was only "authoritative" in the beginning BECAUSE some people held its ability to allow those with the credential to...(wait for it) Be able to step into any lab and with a minimum of orientation produce a PSG. That was the true end point of why the credential had a practical portion and multiple person to person investigatory screenings.

The RST will be able to create its authority through the ABSM's history of bringing authority to the field via the Sleep doc credentialing. You do know that the reasoning behind the ABIM taking over the sleep doc exam was to cut out the PhDs who could take the ABSM exam. The field needed to move into mainstream medicine and taking it out of the field and giving it to mainstream medicine to test was toward that goal. This meant that PhDs would no longer be able to diagnose and treat OSA or the other medical sciences, that the sleep field was trying to tell the world were important. (See how that goes around?)
The RST will be the same.
Sleep teching will no longer be a boutique credential, the BRPT missed the boat.
somnonaut

Postby Rocklandish » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:36 pm

I disagree
Rocklandish

Postby somnonaut » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:18 pm

Disagree with which statements.
The ABSM will be able to give authority?
Historical context of ABIM taking over ABSM sleep doc exam?
Whether the train has left the station without the BRPT aboard?
somnonaut

ugh

Postby TexasSleepguy » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:28 pm

OK never mind my last post.. last minute I did apply for the RST. Like our government the Sleep field is uncertain so why risk it.
TexasSleepguy

Postby LadyCandy » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:49 am

Rocklandish wrote:
MrBig wrote:Either way, it shows drive/commitment which is worth something.

How does putting effort into a credential that has yet to be recognized by any other body than it's creators show anything? I believe you guys are searching for validity over a bad decision at this point. I will not give it to you. The only way the RST gets off the ground is if the RPSGT supports it.

Someone studied. Someone took a test with questions which a sleep technologist should know, theoretically.

Even if you want to be as pessimistic as humanly possible about the "quality" of the RST (in which case you should suspect all sleep doctors certified before 2007 must suck...based on the logic that the ABSM can't certify properly), there is no less dedication displayed by taking and passing the RST than there is taking and passing the CPSGT.

I don't care what exam, certificate program, or online program someone takes to further their education and prove themselves within the field...their actions still clearly speak of drive/commitment.

To diminish that effort is unfair, thoughtless, and rude.
LadyCandy

Postby TFM1980 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:57 am

Until it is recognized by Medicare....its still pointless. There are VERY few people that have the RST behind their name that actually took the test. I have it behind my RPSGT because I paid the $25 to get it. That was not alot of effort on my part. Now, be that as it may.....where I am from we will not be getting too many of the ones that actually went and took the test, as it is too far to test for. I believe in the future it will mean alot. Just not right now. If someone applied with me and chose to take the RST instead of the RPSGT exam....than I don't want them....just yet. They should have had enough sense to go for the one that is going to let them actually monitor Medicare patients.
TFM1980

Postby LadyCandy » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:15 am

TFM1980 wrote:Until it is recognized by Medicare....its still pointless. There are VERY few people that have the RST behind their name that actually took the test. I have it behind my RPSGT because I paid the $25 to get it. That was not alot of effort on my part. Now, be that as it may.....where I am from we will not be getting too many of the ones that actually went and took the test, as it is too far to test for. I believe in the future it will mean alot. Just not right now. If someone applied with me and chose to take the RST instead of the RPSGT exam....than I don't want them....just yet. They should have had enough sense to go for the one that is going to let them actually monitor Medicare patients.

A large percentage of us credentialed sleep professionals still can't understand medicare guidelines and requirements without an interpreter, and you expect some poor bright-eyed soul, eager to jump into sleep medicine to just know they need a credential specifically ordained by CMS in order to run CMS patients? You, ma'am or sir, are demanding. :)
LadyCandy

Postby TFM1980 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:28 am

No, not demanding....not by any means. I just believe that before you sit for any board, you probably have had some type of formal training or have been working for a bit of time. As a techinician you should know the Medicare quidelines.....and if you don't you should ask someone....than ask for documentation :wink:
TFM1980

Postby somnonaut » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:17 pm

TFM,
I do not understand Medicare, so why should I mandate my techs? It is up to the manager of a lab to understand the environment they are running the lab in and have policies and procedures in place to reflect those exigencies. It should definately not be up to individual tech's "understanding" of CMS guidelines, expect where they wish to bring to the manager's attention points of conflict of the two. The tech needs to follow the rules of the lab, let the lab define their rules.
Heck, for all we know, it could be a cash lab, and no need to follow CMS at all. Just sayin.
somnonaut

Postby respbarb » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:47 pm

I just gave my techs a powerpoint on CMS guidelines and HST, we do want them to know as much as they can- they are tested, but they are not subject to anything if they can't understand.
We offer them knowledge and they pick up as much as they can. It's a process :)
respbarb

Previous

Return to Salary Issues