RST vs RPSGT pay

Moderator: labman2

RST vs RPSGT pay

Postby #42dreamweaver » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:19 pm

One of my per diems, a perennial all-star picked up on waivers by me, recently proposed a good question. He is a holder of the RST and RPSGT credential and asked what the pay would be if he just had the RST. I asked my counterparts at sister hospitals and they didn't consider the RST on par with the RPSGT. I then asked human resources the same question. I submitted what the RST entailed as well as the RPSGT and they said they will look into it and get back to me. Any other lab managers come across this issue? I'm curious as to what other facilities are paying the RST only credential.
#42dreamweaver

Re: RST vs RPSGT pay

Postby labman2 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:54 pm

#42dreamweaver wrote:One of my per diems, a perennial all-star picked up on waivers by me, recently proposed a good question. He is a holder of the RST and RPSGT credential and asked what the pay would be if he just had the RST. I asked my counterparts at sister hospitals and they didn't consider the RST on par with the RPSGT. I then asked human resources the same question. I submitted what the RST entailed as well as the RPSGT and they said they will look into it and get back to me. Any other lab managers come across this issue? I'm curious as to what other facilities are paying the RST only credential.

:roll: :roll: Well, I believe one of your sister hospitals said that "at this time" they were not equal as we have no data and as we need to give it some time to start up. :wink: That does not indicate that in a year or so, once the track record is established, that the RST will not be the same or perhaps better. :wink: \

Perhaps if they are relinqusihing the RPSGT, and only holding the RST, it could work. But... what about those that never attempt the RPSGT and only get the RST? How do we "know what they know" as the test is still a new undertaking? I would not feel comfortable with the "only RST-never took the RPSGT" person for now until I get more info and feedback as to what the test and training looks like out in real time.

I do believe they will be at least equal certs- if not better, as we go forward. But, we need a few minutes to get started .

Cheers!

Labman2
labman2

Postby skeepy » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:36 am

I also have a question about this new RST credential. Does anyone know if, for example, you can earn 1 CEC and apply it towards both the RPSGT and the RST? Do you think it would be worth it for me to become duel credentialed since all I'd have to do is submit the $25 application fee? I guess I'm paranoid that this new credential might outweigh the RPSGT in the future, but by having both would be a good investment for job security.
skeepy

Postby tiredjohnny1 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:38 am

skeepy wrote:I also have a question about this new RST credential. Does anyone know if, for example, you can earn 1 CEC and apply it towards both the RPSGT and the RST? Do you think it would be worth it for me to become duel credentialed since all I'd have to do is submit the $25 application fee? I guess I'm paranoid that this new credential might outweigh the RPSGT in the future, but by having both would be a good investment for job security.

One CEC can apply to both but the course needs to be AAST approved. The ABSM will not accept BRPT or respiratory credits.
tiredjohnny1

Postby tiredjohnny1 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:46 am

labman2 wrote:
#42dreamweaver wrote:One of my per diems, a perennial all-star picked up on waivers by me, recently proposed a good question. He is a holder of the RST and RPSGT credential and asked what the pay would be if he just had the RST. I asked my counterparts at sister hospitals and they didn't consider the RST on par with the RPSGT. I then asked human resources the same question. I submitted what the RST entailed as well as the RPSGT and they said they will look into it and get back to me. Any other lab managers come across this issue? I'm curious as to what other facilities are paying the RST only credential.

:roll: :roll: Well, I believe one of your sister hospitals said that "at this time" they were not equal as we have no data and as we need to give it some time to start up. :wink: That does not indicate that in a year or so, once the track record is established, that the RST will not be the same or perhaps better. :wink: \

Perhaps if they are relinqusihing the RPSGT, and only holding the RST, it could work. But... what about those that never attempt the RPSGT and only get the RST? How do we "know what they know" as the test is still a new undertaking? I would not feel comfortable with the "only RST-never took the RPSGT" person for now until I get more info and feedback as to what the test and training looks like out in real time.

I do believe they will be at least equal certs- if not better, as we go forward. But, we need a few minutes to get started .

Cheers!

Labman2

Actually if you filled out the application and paid the $25 fee, you applied for 'equivalency status' based on your RPSGT credential. So all RPSGTs that applied in effect signed a written endorsement that the RST is equivalent to the RPSGT credential. Sneaky huh? Especially since the ABSM stated that the justification for creating the RST credential was that the RPSGT is deficient. So I guess all of us who got the RST agreed that both credentials are deficient? I can't figure it out! :roll:
tiredjohnny1

Postby K-sey Complex » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:40 pm

At our lab RST earns you a pat on the back and a reminder that you need to get registered or certified by the BRPT by the end of your probationary period.
K-sey Complex

Postby labman2 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:22 pm

tiredjohnny1 wrote:
labman2 wrote:

Cheers!

Labman2

Actually if you filled out the application and paid the $25 fee, you applied for 'equivalency status' based on your RPSGT credential. So all RPSGTs that applied in effect signed a written endorsement that the RST is equivalent to the RPSGT credential. Sneaky huh? Especially since the ABSM stated that the justification for creating the RST credential was that the RPSGT is deficient. So I guess all of us who got the RST agreed that both credentials are deficient? I can't figure it out! :roll:

and I believe it WILL be equal or better - but, just as the BRPT failed us (in my opinion) then it is possible that the new RST folks may not live up to their word/committments/agreements also! :wink: -so. once bitten, twice shy!

Labman2
labman2

Postby Sleepy in the South » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:49 am

I didn't realize that there were techs out there with only the RST credentials. I was assuming sometime next year there might be some techs who just couldn't pass the BRPT exam and settled for the RST exam. In that case, then yes, the RPSGT should get paid more than the RST. RST = CPSGT? I think so.
Sleepy in the South

Postby TFM1980 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:43 am

To me...it means nothing except more letters behind your name....at this point. Until Medicare recognizes it.....it means nothing to a lab manager. I can't put you on a medicare pt in an IDTF if you are not RPSGT. Medicare does not recognize the CPSGT or RST....yet! So, no extra pay!!
TFM1980

Postby somnonaut » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:44 pm

WHich might be superceeded by local sleep tech legislation, which if does recognize RST, then takes precedence.
somnonaut

Postby MrBig » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:05 am

Either way, it shows drive/commitment which is worth something.
MrBig

Postby bduce » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:12 am

Big
You've hit the nail on the head. The fact that they have shown the initiative to do the study and sit an exam means a lot.

You don't know if they just received differing advice and decided on the RST rather than the RPSGT. I could easily see that happening for people in your neck of the woods. If your peak professional bodies (AASM and AAST) are advocating the RST, any newbie would think that was the way to go.
bduce

Postby somnonaut » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:23 am

Actually....it could be said that they have MORE drive to sit for the RST being that they had to travel to Illinois to sit for the exam, and not take it at the local Pearson REvue center.

Just saying.
somnonaut

Postby bduce » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:48 pm

Bada boom. Nice pun
bduce

Postby TexasSleepguy » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:24 pm

K-sey Complex wrote:At our lab RST earns you a pat on the back and a reminder that you need to get registered or certified by the BRPT by the end of your probationary period.

I did not opt for the RST,
When talking with out AASM Physician he said he is only interested in RPSGT and not warm bodies.
TexasSleepguy

Next

Return to Salary Issues