An inflammatory topic...

Nearly everything else 'sleep' related not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: labman2, SCNVsleep

An inflammatory topic...

Postby Alfred E. Neuman » Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:12 pm

We wanted to re-decorate our sleep rooms, and I thought we could just go to Nordstrom's and get some nice curtains and bedspreads. My purchasing people reminded me that any bedding in the facility has to meet certain standards for flammability, which greatly limited our selection.

I did some research on the subject and came across some good information, including a .pdf which has some great comparisons of the burn rate of mattresses and comforters.

http://www.bhfti.ca.gov/burn_comparison.pdf

Apparently beginning in 2005 all mattresses and bedding products sold in CA will have to meet flammability standards.

I realize that the possibility of a fire in a sleep lab room is very small, but wondered if anyone else has considered these issues when selecting bedding for your facility.
Alfred E. Neuman

Postby RPSGT88 » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:16 pm

If the lab is using collodion then there is a substantial risk of fire...and bedspreads would be the least of my concerns. Collodion is highly flammable wet or dry. If a pt. is hooked up with collodion and then attempts to sneak a smoke in his private bathroom a fire could result. I have never witnessed this but surmise that it could kill the patient.

Occasionally we have an obstinate patient who demands a cigarette after being hooked up with collodion. Even though we explain the risks of fire, the pt. still insists on smoking or terminating the sleep study. We then cover the pt's head with a hat and accompany him/her outside the building with a fire extinguisher in hand.

No fires yet...I hope we never have one.
RPSGT88

Postby hs » Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:21 am

if you use collodian and after hook up the patient demands a smoke or pt will leave...why not stick to doing the right thing and un-hooking the fool!! The person whom receives the burns,may be one of the staff.the patient would still hold the lab liable I RT 20 years I have seen 2 smokers bunr them selves up one at home one lit up in the er not pretty very fast and nothing you could do about it.safety isnt about being polite no means no(thats what my dates always say)
hs

Re: An inflammatory topic...

Postby RPSGT2000something » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:36 am

Some sleep labs are still using Collodian? I see this is an old topic so hopefully not.
RPSGT2000something

Re: An inflammatory topic...

Postby somnonaut » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:36 pm

Collodian is big in EEG too. Even on preemies in NICU. I can't believe it. I get these tiny heads the next day after VEEG studies to put my PSG electrodes on and the parents are so hesitant about putting electrodes back on. They are relieved when I say I use a water soluble gentle application process and not the same process as last night. Baby looks like a beet.
somnonaut

Return to Miscellaneous Sleep Topics