bed bugs

Nearly everything else 'sleep' related not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: SCNVsleep, labman2

bed bugs

Postby mlt1959 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:27 am

We had a patient who reported to scheduling she had a bed bug infestation at home.
The exterminators came yesterday to spray her house, so the infestation is still active.
Our infection control person was consulted and just had us bag and seal her clothes
upon arrival. We also bagged and sealed her linen after wards. We were told to sanitize the bed
as usual and to go ahead and make the bed as usual. Housekeeping is to come in today
and inspect for bed bugs. Just wondering what other labs policies are if they are informed
by a patient that they have a bed bug infestation?
mlt1959

Re: bed bugs

Postby Vix » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:01 am

Fairly similar, but we also have bed-bug sniffing dogs to check the rooms at some locations...
Vix

Postby Faith Los » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:00 am

Vix wrote:Fairly similar, but we also have bed-bug sniffing dogs to check the rooms at some locations...

What kind / breed of dogs do you use? Never heard of this approach - interesting !
Faith Los

Postby Vix » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:28 pm

I've met some of the dogs, but I don't recall the breeds, and I'm not trained enough in dogs to know if they were purebreds or mutts or what. I believe most pest control companies who deal with bedbugs can provide bed bug sniffing dogs. One of the companies gave me an example once, and showed me what their dog does when finding bed bugs (in that case they had a bag with them containing bedbugs for demonstration). The dog sat next to it and came to attention when he smelled it. It was pretty cool....
Vix

Postby somnonaut » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:45 pm

Vix wrote:The dog sat next to it and came to attention when he smelled it. It was pretty cool....

Or....was the dog just trained to come to attention when ANY bag of black things it is presented to sniff? Hmm, its a conspiracy I tell you, a conspiracy. ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug7Af_ZBnrs
somnonaut

Postby rottiemama2003 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:03 am

Our lab send them home and they treat it like an isolation room on the floor. They take the bed apart and shampoo carpets with some special stuff.. we don't play with bed bugs or head lice. We don't use dogs due to cross contamination.
rottiemama2003

Postby Bedal6 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:37 am

Quite helpful information on bed bugs and their treatment. Couple of weeks ago, I came to know about different services providing information on how to treat bed bug bites. Took help of a reputed company and got great suggestions!
Bedal6

Return to Miscellaneous Sleep Topics