Allergic reaction to masks

Nearly everything else 'sleep' related not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: labman2, SCNVsleep

Allergic reaction to masks

Postby Sunshine Sketches » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:33 pm

Hello: Anyone experience patients having an allergic reaction to a CPAP mask? We had a couple of patients have reactions to the Pilairo and Eson. By reaction, I mean red, itchy, inflammed skin around area of contact. If so, what type of mask, or patient condition? Any collaborative info is helpful!
Sunshine Sketches

Re: Allergic reaction to masks

Postby linuxgeek » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:27 pm

Was it a fresh mask out of the package? There is often times a smell with a new mask, which means lots of stuff that could produce a reaction.
If it's new, I suggest cleaning it really well with warm soap and water.

Masks are made out of silicone, which is usually pretty benign. But it could also just be applied pressure to the skin that causes a reaction.
linuxgeek

Postby bduce » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:44 am

Like LinuxGeek has stated: true silicone allergies in medical equipment are very rare. Industrial grade silicone is more likely to cause allergies but medical grade is usually benign. That being said we have had some patients with a true allergy - we sent them off to the immunologist for testing - but they are so rare.

Often an "allergy" has been attributed to poor cleaning of the mask, mild pressure injury, eczema worsened by the mask.
bduce

Postby stars » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:05 pm

a if mask new from only now open bag need to be wash complectly before place tp patient face
2.if mask go cleaning inside lab not central hospital sterilization center,need compectly wash with clean water after cleaning solution
I never had compliningallergy reaction for mask ,but with my experience some patient who had blood disorder /Factor5 & 6/
may be complaining about pressure mark from mask
stars

Return to Miscellaneous Sleep Topics