Working the night shift

Nearly everything else 'sleep' related not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: labman2, SCNVsleep

Working the night shift

Postby Mandy » Sat May 31, 2003 7:00 am

How does everyone feel about working nights? Do you prefer it? Do you work nights because you can't find a day shift position? Is it for the extra money (night shift differential) etc.... :?:

I've only met one sleep tech in the past eight years who somehow never had to work nights. :shock:

If you're a night tech now, would you go to day shift if you had the opportunity? If you're a day tech now, are you happy working days? Do you miss nights? I currently work full-time nights but have worked day shift in the past and was quite surprised at how different it is. It's like comparing night and day! :lol: (to all the night techs who have never worked days: it's not as easy as you might think) and... to all the day techs who have forgotten what it's like to work nights... shame on you! :wink:
Mandy
Friend of binarysleep

Postby SCNVsleep » Sat May 31, 2003 5:02 pm

I started working nights out of necessity. Had a newborn preemie daughter who was considered "special needs" until she was a year old. Also lost my job while she was still in the NICU. Worked nights for a year and a half, and jumped at the opportunity to have my own lab and a day shift. I still work nights occasionally to cover vacations, sick time, etc.

I am much more happy now that I am working days, as my marriage was on the verge of falling apart when I was on nights. BUT...I do sometimes miss being a brave...being the chief is a "PITA" sometimes... :lol:
SCNVsleep

Night Shift

Postby respbarb » Sun Jun 01, 2003 2:03 pm

I have worked primarily nights throughout my 20 years as a resp. therapist.
In my sleep job, we work both. We do a four week, (3n/week) rotation and then 2 weeks of days, where we can work 4 tens or 5 tens. We get lots of built in overtime.
We have a two bed lab, there are four of us, only three of us do acquisitions.
This way we stay proficient at both scoring and acquisitions. :D
respbarb

nights

Postby TexasSleepguy » Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:12 am

I prefer the nights. I enjoy the actual study and the patients. The money is much better and with 2 kids in college nights is where I will stay for a while.

been doind some day work...OH GOSH! the blasted phone drives me nuts!
scoring a simple apnea study takes me about 2 hours with reports. During the day it can take as long as 4 to 6 hours running here and there answering phones taking supplies to EEG techs.
TexasSleepguy

Postby Tami » Sun Jul 20, 2003 4:04 pm

I prefer nights, better money, patient interaction....BUT I don't sleep worth a darn. I get my second wind after running around the lab unhooking patient's making beds cleaning equip., staging my study etc..

I have worked some day's and find it boring, but only because it has mainly involved scoring and answering phones....if I were offered an opportunity to manage a lab I would be all over it if the location/money/lab were right.
Tami

Working Nights

Postby BillA » Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:10 am

I enjoyed working the 5:30 a.m. shift. I still had cross over to the night techs, was able to work with the patients, and score a study. Of course, those were the days that everything was done on paper. Scoring one study a day was considered good performance, scoring two a day was exceptional, and scoring three a day was innaccurate.... :lol:
BillA

Postby resp513 » Thu Jul 24, 2003 1:30 am

I just came off of day shift after 7 months...THANK GOODNESS! I feel much better working nights. It is nice to get 7-9 hrs of uninterrupted sleep during the day. On day shift I worked 5am - 3pm. I was going to better between 7:30 and 8p, getting up at 3:30am. My weekend consisted of SLEEPING. Don't get me wrong, some nights, especially the slow ones, I do get tired, but not often. I like the extra money, and the patient contact. Being an RRT first, then RPSGT, my patient contact really comes out. I am LOVING SLEEP!
resp513

Postby fanofcart » Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:42 pm

I also prefer the night shift. With kids' responsibilities and a working spouse, I can be home when the kids get home from school, picking them up at school if necessary. I take for granted some of the errands I do during the day (dental appointments, getting the oil changed, etc.) that is probably more of a hassle for the day workers.

Sure night shift is tiring, and I don't sleep more than five hours during the day, and I could maybe have gotten into management by now if that was my goal, but the pro's outweigh the cons. (Having access to a television/VCR at night helps to relieve much of the social isolation that I have felt when I worked at Sleep Labs without this.)

Hey "resp", welcome to this site. How in the world are you able to sleep so many hours during the day--what is your secret?? (Do you meditate or something??)
fanofcart

Postby Tami » Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:04 pm

Fanofcart, I agree, night shift does allow more time to do the running around. Even when I worked RT I worked nights and it was because my husband worked a swing shift and nights adapted more easily around his schedule leaving at least one of us to always be with our kids. I read my earlier post and I realize how stupid it sounded, it was sort of meant in jest....I really like my "no frills" position of being a night tech, I can virtually remain free of the politics that tend to come with mngt. and I work 2 12's a week which allows more time for my #1 job of being a Mom and wife.

Tami
Tami

Postby Rahkit » Wed Jul 30, 2003 3:36 pm

I worked nights for 13 years....I paid my dues lol. I am on almost all days now. One shift a week at night till i get a PRN replacement, for that night. Been a serious wierd transition. Still not used to it yet. But I am diggin being alive and about when the rest of the world is. Nights has always been an attractive shift to me, especially working in the hospital. Nobody in the way, when you're trying to get to your patient.
But now not being in the hospital, days is where it's at :wink:
Wouldnt trade it for anything :!:
Rahkit

Return to Miscellaneous Sleep Topics