sleep politics

Nearly everything else 'sleep' related not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: labman2, SCNVsleep

sleep politics

Postby NYsleepyhead » Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:44 am

A few of the folks still posting over at sleepnet got censored again, they may never learn. I'd like to start posting all of the censored posts from over there in this forum if they are worth hearing so people can see them, and come over to the good side... I found this thread intriguing before it got blasted into sleepland.

Posting #1

I hold both the RT and RPSGT credentials. This is a big debate in our lab. Some of our techs are the so called " Joe Blows " off the street. The constantly give us RT'S greef because we can do some things that the RPSGT's can't. Quite frankly we ( RT'S ) have far more knowledge than that of the RPSGT. A high school kid can graduate and spend a year to 15 months training and then sit for the RPSGT exam. Some labs don't even get that much training. Do you think that kid is knowledgeable enough to handle a criticle or tough sleep patient? I don't think he/she is. I see it everyday. I have techs where I work think they can do anything and talk Respiratory Care. When in fact they don't know the first thing and sound very stupid trying to do so. I hope the AARC tries to take some control over this. The other thing that bothers me is that a high school kid can pass the RPSGT exam and Make the wages that an RT makes. I love sleep medicine and I love Respiratory care, but I think that for the patients sake and good quality patient care the Tech should know what they are doing. IN DETAIL!

Response to Post #1
We're seeing the result of many years of inaction and complacency.
1.There needs to be a way to get these 1 or 2 week wonder schools to become part of a local community college program. Gosh I would think that a CC would love to offer a "HOT" program to prospective students.
2.The registry needs to have a scoring and an oral component, and require those who passed only a written exam for their boards retake a full board exam within a period of time.
3. AAS degree minimum for entry into the field. High school grads can only be prep techs.
4. Board exam must be taken and passed for continued employment in the field.
Either we do things like this now, uncomfortable as they may be, or we face the consequences later.

Response #2
I think it is funny to see all of the people involved in this field jab and poke fun of eachothers credentials. Quite hillarious actually.
The RRTs and CRTTs I've worked with look down at the others because they can't recite the finer points of respiratory physiology. Most REEGTs couldn't tell you the difference between an oxyhemoglobin dissociation curve and a curveball right?

The REEGTs I've worked with laugh at the RRTs and CRTTs because they don't know the finer points of neurophysiology. Most RRTs don't know the difference between sharp waves and sharpie markers and think POSTS are things we leave for eachother on this internet forum right?
The cardiology techs I've worked with can't believe how little the RRTs and REEGTs know about the ekg. Most can't tell a bundle branch block from a juniper branch right?
And the nurses I've worked with in sleep... you don't want to know what they think trust me.
I've worked with everybody (RRT, CRTT, REEGT, RN) and I've known idiots with every single possible credential that should not be responsible for caring for patients in a sleep lab. CRTTs that bombed the RRT exam are particularly plentiful in sleep. So are people who repeatedly fail the EEG boards. What it boils down to is this: there are no minimum standards for caring for sleep patients except those imposed by individual lab directors and a real "sleep tech" should be able to accurately interpret each set of parameters he/she is recording (that includes the eeg AND the cardiac AND the pulmonary monitoring) "IN DETAIL" as J. RCP/RPSGT put it.
It is not the job of the AARC to step in and define practice parameters for a field it has no legitimate hold on. The AARC does not train polysomnographers, it trains respiratory therapists who moonlight in sleep. Neither does ASET train polysomnographers, it trains electroneurodiagnosticians who moonlight in sleep. Neither does the APT, they don't train anybody yet, although it sounds like are trying to work something out, the jury is still out on exactly what they are going to train, as of yet their standards are still way too low! Their test is nowhere near comprehensive enough yet.
The people who need to step in are the folks at the AASM. Where are they weighing in on this issue? Ultimately it is the responsibility of the MDs running these sleep centers to step up and define standards for who they are willing to allow to run these studies right?
Check out the AASM website, look for their position paper titled "Role and Qualifications of Technologists Performing Polysomnography" you might find it interesting. The AASM states that... "The training of other related technical personnel, such as respiratory care practicioners and electroencephalographic technologists, is not equivalent to that of a polysomnographic technologist, although there may be some overlap. Therefore other technical personel (read: RRT, REEGT) are not qualified to perform the functions of a polysomnographic technologist." This was almost 5 years ago. Perhaps they need to clarify this point of view again for the neysayers in the RCP community although it seems pretty clear where your doctors are standing on the issue.
NYsleepyhead

Postby Showmesleep » Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:59 am

I think I've visited sleepnet for the last time! Whoever is running that place is censor happy. They must enjoy the frustration that erupts with every valid point that is deleted.

I am supportive of RPSGT's working with RT's, EEGT's, EKGT's, & RN's to better understand the different parameters of polysomnography. But the field ultimately belongs to the RPSGT's. Whatever background they came from.

And when it comes down to $$$, why shouldn't RPSGT's (no matter if he's "Joe Blow" from the street or REEGT or RRT or any other letters) make the MOST money in the field of Polysomnography? An RRT or an REEGT does not a polysomnographic technologist make. Should an RRT or an REEGT make more money running EKG's than someone else just because they hold credentials to another field?

:-({|=

Just a thought.
Showmesleep

Postby sleepadmin » Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:03 am

Sleepnet tried blocking my IP long ago.... ahhh I love proxy's :)
sleepadmin
Admin

confooozed

Postby Mandy » Fri Jun 06, 2003 11:12 am

I really don't understand why that topic was censored on sleepnet. :? :roll: It sure seems relevant to me. Many thanks to NYsleepyhead for copying it before they removed it :)

Ok sleepadmin. For those of us who aren't as computer savvy as you, what is an IP and a proxy? :wink:
Mandy
Friend of binarysleep

Postby sleepadmin » Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:28 pm

An IP, aka "IP address," is a number unique to your computer, such as 172.16.0.1. Lets say you want to visit a web site on the web. You type in the website you want to go to in your browser. After your local ISP finds the address (DNS) it sends a request to the computer hosting the website. In that request is your IP address (afterall it has to know where to send the web site info).

If you have a high speed connection you "usually" have a static IP, meaning your address does not change (it may change once every few months). If you use dial up, your IP is different each time you dial in. If someone has a static IP, it's fairly easy to block it. In this case, sleepnet'zi has singled out my home IP address and prevented me from posting. :cry: Or they can block a whole range of IP addresses, such as everything with 172.16.*.*. That is unless you use a proxy... :wink:

A proxy is simply a computer that you connect to (via the net) that masks your true IP. Now when you visit a site, they think you are from the proxy's IP address, not your true address. If I was to do something against the law (using the proxy), the computer acting as a proxy would likley have a log of my IP address.

I've tried starting a dialog with sleepnet'zi moderator/administrator. I'd like to know what exactly they do not like about certain posts. They have never replied to any of my emails, and other than blocking my IP, have expressed no sort of interest in communicating with me. This really puzzles me because , afterall, they did give this site an excellent head start by posting the addresss while they were down. :-s
sleepadmin
Admin

Postby fanofcart » Sat Jun 07, 2003 10:34 am

It really really stinks that sleepnet.com not only censors like mad, but that they will not communicate with you about why your IP is blocked.
fanofcart

Return to Miscellaneous Sleep Topics