Clinical Sleep Educator exam

Nearly everything else 'sleep' related not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: SCNVsleep, labman2

Clinical Sleep Educator exam

Postby MrBig » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:30 am

How many of you have taken the CSE exam? Did you pass on the first or second try, or fail both times?

Thanks.
MrBig

Re: Clinical Sleep Educator exam

Postby MrBig » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:14 pm

Also, anyone that's taken the CCSH exam, are the exam questions similar to the CSE exam?

Thanks!
MrBig

Postby somnonaut » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:48 pm

BRPT really has gone off the deep end.
somnonaut

Postby rottiemama2003 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:22 am

Why do you say that
rottiemama2003

Postby #42dreamweaver » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:26 pm

I can not see any reason to pursue this certification. Has anyone made a penny from having this certification?
#42dreamweaver

Postby somnonaut » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:28 pm

rottiemama2003 wrote:Why do you say that

In my opinion, the BRPT has lost sight of what we do. They are searching for money making ventures instead of focusing on the nuances to polysomnographic technology that the "T" in BRPT stands for. They should be developing structure and testing to help US develop our careers as TECHNOLOGISTS, not "educators." The CSE is really a poor attempt to develop something for those OUTSIDE the BRPT domain, and that is namely PA's and NP's, who currently have no credentialing in sleep. The BRPT rolled this CSE thing out as if the techs should get this credential, but in reality there is no room in the medical reimbursement landscape for remuneration non-licensed providers providing this level of education. Is this what the BRPT should be doing? This is more appropriate for the ABSM to take up. Who knows, maybe they are. I expect new TECHNOLOGIST credentials from the BRPT showing competence in the various flavors of our technology. Pediatrics, Therapies, etc, etc. I see nothing in the CSE that we are expected to already possess as RPSGTs.
somnonaut

Postby MrBig » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:45 am

somnonaut wrote:I see nothing in the CSE that we are expected to already possess as RPSGTs.

This is exactly why it is good and needed. Have you taken it? I've only spoke to a few RPSGTs that have taken the CSE and not one has been able to pass it. I passed on the second try, barely, and actually leared a lot.

Now, if we can get some jobs opening up......
MrBig

Postby somnonaut » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:38 am

Ha, I missed that ommission of mine. THanks

"I see nothing in the CSE that we are expected to already possess as RPSGTs."

Should read:
I see nothing in the CSE that we are NOT expected to already possess as RPSGTs.
somnonaut

Postby somnonaut » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:38 am

I know people that have taken and passed it, and they also say there is not really anything new.
somnonaut

Postby rottiemama2003 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:14 pm

Point well taken. At how much does that cost? And there is no market?
rottiemama2003

Postby Sleepy in the South » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:48 am

I have taken the CSE online course in July and found it to be totally useless in the clinical setting. There is nothing new learned that a RPSGT should already know. I thought it would cover the art of titration, improvements for CPAP compliance, goals and outcomes for patients etc. But no, it mostly covers insurance statistics per state and other useless info. The exam is open book or in this case, open notes. You can even go back and view the video clips during the test. There are many questions on the exam that wasn't event covered in the course. Useless questions like which state has this certain criteria for insurance coverage blah, blah blah.....

The only reason I took it is because my company pays for it so what the heck.....I hear the CCHS exam is much harder and plan to take it soon.

The only other credential the BRPT should have made was a pediatric credential. Peds and adults are so different.

As for now, the CSE certificate goes into the bottom desk drawer next to my other useless certificate, the RST.
Sleepy in the South

Postby MrBig » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:35 pm

Sleepy in the South wrote:I have taken the CSE online course in July and found it to be totally useless in the clinical setting.

In the lab, yes, in a clinic, no. The whole point is to get us from the lab to the clinic. I agree that the CSE is pretty much a waste of time and effort if one doesn't plan to leave the lab setting.

Time for a paradigm shift.
MrBig

Postby somnonaut » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:17 pm

I still do not see daylight between the two.

A Clinical Sleep Educator communicates with patients, families, and the community to educate individuals on sleep disorders, good sleep hygiene, ways to optimize treatment, methods to improve and monitor compliance with prescribed treatment, and in general assists patients in eliminating barriers to care in order to maximize their quality of life.

Clinical Sleep Health Examination
An advanced credentialing examination for healthcare providers who work directly with sleep medicine patients, families and practitioners to coordinate and manage patient care, improve outcomes, educate patients and the community, and advocate for the importance of good sleep.
somnonaut

Postby dream police » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:01 pm

Try thinking of it this way:

The CPSGT is the entry level credential
The RPSGT, RST and (RT)-SDS are the registry level credentials
The CCSH is the only advanced credential. You take the test, pass it and get letters behind your name.

If you're not eligible for the CCSH exam via a BS degree and 1,000 hrs clinical experience - OR - an AAS degree and approved healthcare credential, then you can (temporarily) become eligible via the CSE course. You can also take the CSE course without taking the CCSH exam or take it to help prep for the CCSH exam if you're already eligible.

The CSE's function is like the A-STEP or STAR program. It's not necessary to do the CSE to sit for the CCSH exam and taking the CSE course/passing the CSE exam doesn't give you any letters behind your name - it's like getting a BCLS card.

Clear as mud?

P.S. I did both the CSE course and took (and passed) the CCSH exam. I'm in a rural sleep center and we wear MANY hats. Sleep medicine is moving from diagnostics to disease management (and I hear some insurances are beginning to base their reimbursement on outcomes). The AASM is promoting sleep medicine as disease management. In Feb 2014, the AAST released job descriptions for Sleep Care Manager and Patient Coordinator. Diabetes educators and Asthma educators have shown the value in healthcare educators.

Things may not be shifting in your neck of the woods, but it is where I am. If you don't see a reason for taking either the CSE course or CCSH exam, then don't. It's not required for performing studies.
dream police

Postby somnonaut » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:54 pm

Actually, CSE and CCSH are NOT required for any job. Not sure how these new credentials will be able to be shoehorned into existing state licensure legislative wording on the books? http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/polysom/

A polysomnographic technologist collects, analyzes, scores, monitors and records physiologic data during sleep and wakefulness to assist the supervising physician in the clinical assessment and diagnosis of sleep/wake disorders and other disorders, syndromes and dysfunctions that either are sleep related, manifest during sleep or disrupt normal sleep/wake cycles and activities. Polysomnographic technology includes the non-invasive monitoring, diagnostic testing, and initiation and delivery of treatments to determine therapeutic levels of inspiratory and expiratory pressures for individuals suffering from any sleep disorder.

Polysomnographic technologists perform these services under the direction and supervision of a licensed physician who is available for consultation at all times during the provision of polysomnographic technology services.

In treating sleep disorders, polysomnographic technologists may:

apply electrodes, devices and apparatus necessary to monitor and evaluate sleep disturbances;
implement physiologic non-invasive monitoring applicable to polysomnography, including monitoring the therapeutic and diagnostic use on non-ventilated patients of oxygen, continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP), and bi-level positive airway pressure (BiPAP);
implement cardiopulmonary resuscitation and maintenance of a patient's airway (which does not include endotracheal intubation);
transcribe and implement physician orders pertaining to the practice of polysomnographic technology; and
implement non-invasive treatment changes and testing techniques, applicable to polysomnography, under the direction and supervision of a licensed physician.

Polysomnographic technologists also help patients and their families by providing consumer education about:

procedures and treatments used during polysomnographic technology; and
equipment or procedures used for the treatment of sleep disorders.

The things listed in those new job descriptions are way overreach into other established clinical realms, namely NP and PA. There will never be money to pay for these new positions. The wording of the new jobs puts the clinical burden of therapy initiation and compliance on this non-licensed practitioner who would be freewheeling in offices.

It is all covered by RPSGT, or i should say HAD Been BEFORE the APT/ASST manglement company(ies) started slicing and dicing the field into revenue generating entities for themselves.
somnonaut

Next

Return to Miscellaneous Sleep Topics