Leaving sleep....

Nearly everything else 'sleep' related not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: labman2, SCNVsleep

Leaving sleep....

Postby MrBig » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:07 pm

Anyone else considering leaving? I fought it on/off the last few years and decided it's time.

I recently started a coding program. It only takes one year to complete and in the long run the pay is like $5 hr more where I work AND they can work from home. Not to mention all of the contract/remote jobs out there.

I like sleep and have learned a ton but am looking to not work clinically, not work nights, and am generally disappointed by the field in the last few years.
MrBig

Re: Leaving sleep....

Postby somnonaut » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:20 pm

"Coding" as in computer programming or coding as in medical billing?
somnonaut

Postby jerzey devil » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:58 am

Yes...it is time to leave...the pie is getting smaller and we are fighting harder and harder for fewer slices
jerzey devil

Postby somnonaut » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:52 pm

So you do not see any opportunity in sleep with CCSH credential?
somnonaut

Postby MrBig » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:05 am

somnonaut wrote:"Coding" as in computer programming or coding as in medical billing?

As in medical coding. Billing is a completely different gig.
MrBig

Postby MrBig » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:06 am

somnonaut wrote:So you do not see any opportunity in sleep with CCSH credential?

Me? A very small and limited opportunity, but I don't care either way.
MrBig

Postby somnonaut » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:10 am

So what about people in general being now so focused on their sleep that they are buying these wrist worn devices by the boatload to help them control their sleep, along with other fitness issues. Don't you think there is opportunity to help these people in non-clinical setting?

http://www.consumerreports.org/sleep/wh ... sleep.org/

"American Academy of Sleep Medicine, says, “There’s little evidence that people who hire these coaches actually sleep better.” A recent review in the Journal of Pediatrics found that less than half of self-proclaimed sleep coaches had prior experience in health care or education. The study also pointed out that the coaches are not required to be licensed or to have any specific certification."

We are verging on the Wild Wild West of Sleep

Don't you think that credentialing (as I have said we need a CCSH type credential, I just do not think the BRPT are the ones who should be provisioning it) and experience is going to be helpful in forging new businesses in sleep?
somnonaut

Postby somnonaut » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:11 am

Ha! Edit button not on this thread.
Try this link.
http://www.consumerreports.org/sleep/wh ... u-need-one
somnonaut

Postby MrBig » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:51 am

somnonaut wrote:So what about people in general being now so focused on their sleep that they are buying these wrist worn devices by the boatload to help them control their sleep, along with other fitness issues. Don't you think there is opportunity to help these people in non-clinical setting?

http://www.consumerreports.org/sleep/wh ... sleep.org/

"American Academy of Sleep Medicine, says, “There’s little evidence that people who hire these coaches actually sleep better.” A recent review in the Journal of Pediatrics found that less than half of self-proclaimed sleep coaches had prior experience in health care or education. The study also pointed out that the coaches are not required to be licensed or to have any specific certification."

We are verging on the Wild Wild West of Sleep

Don't you think that credentialing (as I have said we need a CCSH type credential, I just do not think the BRPT are the ones who should be provisioning it) and experience is going to be helpful in forging new businesses in sleep?

As before, I see some new opportunity but very limited and not too interesting to me. Also, I think I'm just generally burnt-out on the sleep field (probably "healthcare" in general) and especially the night shift. Especially once I started working at a university lab and have seen so much of the "behind-the-doors" happenings. It's disgusting. All everyone cares about is money, money, money. The sleep fellows that I see come through every year spend ZERO hours in the sleep lab. Nice, huh. All the docs are mostly concerned with getting their name published on a research paper.

The wearables I have issues with on a whole different level. Mostly the EMFs/ELFs generated by the devices that cause serious harm to people. But hey, they're selling like hot cakes! And not that your average brain dead zombie cares anyhow.

There's nothing health and/or care in healthcare. It's all about diagnosing folks with diseases and managing them. No one wants to prevent and/or cure anyone. There's no money in that. Take a look at the research at any given university hospital. What's the percentage of research to prevent and/or cure disease? Zero.
MrBig

Postby stars » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:05 am

I with you what you said about healthcare system
When you work in hospital lab not affiliated with teaching system look like
for me more practical and productive
Sometimes I work for some kind teaching university lab
yes very another story so many nonsense test or device add to patient when he sleep
Waste to much time and money
Well our field need new revolution May be Claude created some
Brush off BRPT Aast and follow waste time organization
stars

Postby somnogator » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:17 pm

Stars,
When are you going to get someone to proofread you posts???
somnogator

Postby somnonaut » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:24 pm

Do we want to see, or do we wish for a "revolution" in sleep TECHNOLOGY (monosomnography or other z-ratio) or in sleep medicine overall which would then encompass the treatment side of things? This really is my beef with the CCSH. It is focusing the BRPT on long term therapeutic interventions and not the technology per se which is their mission.

Mr Big, Sorry to hear you are having a rough time sorting the forest for the trees.
somnonaut

Postby somnonaut » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:30 pm

To this end, this is a recent post on Linkedin.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/major-pr ... TICLE_POST

"A recent study (1) from a major sleep clinic in the US confirms that large numbers of people ​diagnosed with significant OSA, and offered CPAP, either refuse to consider it, or are unable to adhere to it. Of 616 consecutive patients diagnosed with OSA and offered CPAP, 260 (42%) had evidence of some degree of adherence. Of the remaining 356 patients not willing, or able to use CPAP, very few were referred for other treatments. Only ten of these patients completed surgical procedures and nine were referred for oral appliances. The authors were extremely concerned that nearly half (46%) of all patients with diagnosed OSA are not being actively treated for this condition."

Will WE as Quasi sleep "clinicians" who now have this quasi-recognized CCSH credential be the dumping ground for all of these sleep providers when their plurality of patients being Rx treatments do not get follow-up? SHOULD we be the ones who take that mantle? Why are we the ones who should be filling this need? How does our background in sleep TECHNOLOGY help us fill this niche?
somnonaut

Postby Midnight Rider » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:28 am

MrBig wrote:Anyone else considering leaving? I fought it on/off the last few years and decided it's time.

I recently started a coding program. It only takes one year to complete and in the long run the pay is like $5 hr more where I work AND they can work from home. Not to mention all of the contract/remote jobs out there.

I like sleep and have learned a ton but am looking to not work clinically, not work nights, and am generally disappointed by the field in the last few years.

I hear ya. I've enjoyed my time but am sick and tired of being little more than an ATM for EEG or RT departments or hospitals in general. What passes for leadership at least on the local areas I've been makes me shake my head. Education still means all too little. I'm tired of people entering the field and somehow demanding a day job with authority and little if any patient interaction. Unlike nursing there are no clear-cut methods of advancement with little attention paid to experience and academic achievement.
Midnight Rider

Return to Miscellaneous Sleep Topics