incoherent rant re: mask names

Nearly everything else 'sleep' related not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: labman2, SCNVsleep

incoherent rant re: mask names

Postby jerzey devil » Tue May 03, 2016 4:29 pm

we have the Amara and Amara View which are totally diffetent masks.

and

Swift LT, Swift FX and Swift FX Nano
Quattro Air, Quattro FX, Mirage Quattro, Mirage FX, Mirage Micro
Airfit P10, Airfit N10, AIrfit F10

and with the orders going form the Drs, to the techs, to the homecare companies, it a wonder any patients get the mask they supposed to get.

I understand the need for "branding" but...................
jerzey devil

Re: incoherent rant re: mask names

Postby respbarb » Wed May 04, 2016 9:23 pm

In our neck of the woods, the patient got whatever mask the DME wanted to give them anyway. Now we just give them their first mask. When its time for them to buy one they can switch to another or stick with what they got. It's all about the mask.
respbarb

Postby RPSGT2000something » Thu May 05, 2016 4:38 pm

respbarb wrote:In our neck of the woods, the patient got whatever mask the DME wanted to give them anyway. Now we just give them their first mask. When its time for them to buy one they can switch to another or stick with what they got. It's all about the mask.

Respbarb, what does your lab do when you've opened and shown the patient several different masks? Do you ever give the patient more than one mask? For example, I've had many patients who want to start off with nasal pillows but halfway through the night they might need or want to try a different mask.

I've never worked for a company that gives the mask to the patient but I really like this idea especially with the patients that are difficult to fit. Thank you for your input.
RPSGT2000something

Postby respbarb » Thu May 05, 2016 9:11 pm

Well, I work for a hospital. We went to this program to avoid processing masks. It is such a problem with Joint Commission to clean and highly disinfect equipment. And when you have to rely on humans, there are bound to be errors come site visit day. And citations are bad!
So we went with disposable tubing, masks and humidifiers.
We purchase regular masks from the vendors at reduced prices and send the patient home all that they tried.
The staff is getting really good at helping the patient in choosing the mask and fitting them, so they rarely use more than one mask.But it happens.
respbarb

Postby somnonaut » Thu May 05, 2016 10:11 pm

Respbarb,
Can I ask you what is the pricing for the disposable tubing per use? I have used it at another lab, it makes a ridiculous amount of whistling which shows that it is turbulent flow within the corrugated tubing. The CPAP unit readings rely on smooth bore tubing, so I wonder does it effect the CPAP unit calculations of flow etc. being it is a non-standard smooth bore tubing?

We do the same as you (but only give the final mask used), and supply a $2.25 smooth bore 2meter tube from MVAP. Is this disposable corrugated tubing really that much less per use than $2.25?
somnonaut

Postby Vix » Fri May 06, 2016 9:35 pm

Yep. It's 62 cents per use. That's about a quarter of the cost of your tubing. That's a savings of about $2,000 per year if you're running about 100 patients per month. Or about $12,000 per year if you have 6 labs.
Vix

Postby somnonaut » Sat May 07, 2016 11:55 am

Thanks Vix. Still hate the whistling and I think that turns patients off of CPAP on their initial trial. $1.63 is an investment in compliance.
somnonaut

Postby sleepmac » Mon May 09, 2016 9:02 pm

We too have noticed whistling with disposable tubing. Instead we are using a ResMed(?) product. I'll have to look tomorrow what it is exactly. I don't know the price. Our niteshift was most adamant that we not use the disposable after the first times we used it.

Dan Weinhold
sleepmac

Return to Miscellaneous Sleep Topics