Secret Sleeper

Nearly everything else 'sleep' related not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: labman2, SCNVsleep

Secret Sleeper

Postby sleepadmin » Sat Jun 07, 2003 2:09 am

Just as I wrap up a long day... I had an idea....

We've all heard of secret shoppers... right? Those people who work for quality quantrol and shop at selected stores, then report back the results... Why not have secret sleepers?

Here's the best part, if you volunteer to be evaluated, you must evaluate another lab, quid pro quo. No money involved. I'm always looking for ways to better my lab, and make the expereince a pleasent one for my patients, but it's hard to "get in their shoes" so to speak. What better way to get an evaluation, than from another tech, from another market area, with no strings attached. Patinet QA forms and follow ups only go so far... I'd really like another tech to fairly evaluate my facility, and make suggestions in our process, from scheduling, to follow up. Sure I could hire a "consultant" but they aren't exactly "getting a patients perspective." Plus, because no money is involved, you can take the recomendations with agrain of salt... take'em or leave'em. :wink:

If anyone in the Central/South Texas area is also interested (we would need at least three total labs) shoot me an email or pm. I'm anxious to go over the details.
sleepadmin
Admin

Postby Mandy » Sat Jun 07, 2003 10:10 am

That is such a great idea :!: :idea:

If I still lived near Austin, I'd be the first to volunteer. :D
Mandy
Friend of binarysleep

Postby fanofcart » Sat Jun 07, 2003 10:30 am

This is a good idea. You might want to get a tech who is specially trained to look at certain things.

Maybe if the two year schools take hold, this would give the people currently running the one week schools something alternatively to do :lol:
fanofcart

Postby Rick » Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:57 pm

There are two year schools awarding AAS degrees for Polysomnography. I helped set one up, it was not easy, volunteered a lot of time. Got area managers of sleep centers to devise courses and write up all the syllabi (sp?). Finally the state agreed to make it a degree program, it was grafted on as an alternative second year in an RT program. If you had already gotten your AAS in RT you could come back for one more year and get an AAS in PSG, also. Or just go straight ahead into the AAS in PSG. It was established five years ago, total number of students that have gone through the program = 0.0
No idea why no one is willing to try it out. In exasperation a local area medical center has started a 3 month program to educate techs as being able to perform the acquisition part of a PSG.
Rick

Return to Miscellaneous Sleep Topics