Video recording

Nearly everything else 'sleep' related not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: labman2, SCNVsleep

Video recording

Postby Thehiprock » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:31 pm

So as I said in previous topic we are redoing P&P manual.
Admittedly we have been delinquent in having consent forms for video recording and are implementing that now.
But my " medical director" says under no circumstance can I cancel a study if a patient refuses to sign consent for video. He says it is the patients right to refuse and he is the physician and he can decide on effective treatment without video and he will not support the decision to cancel any patients as He has found no supporting literature and unless implemented by well-known sleep lab!
Doesn't everyone use video... unless still using paper!
Thehiprock

Re: Video recording

Postby somnonaut » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:34 am

Even when I ran PSG on paper we still used video. Video is recommended by AASM in scoring manual. Is there a happy medium of being able to WATCH the video during performance for safety reasons but not recording it (for those that choose)?
Attachments
Video recommended.jpg
Video recommended.jpg (106.52 KiB) Viewed 254 times
somnonaut

Postby Thehiprock » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:18 am

I don't think with our system there is the option to watch and not record. And out here...I want that recording...the staff that cover me for holidays and weekends etc are Filipino and get way way more abuse than I do as a white chick. I am more thinking of their safety.
In the end I don't work for the medical director of the lab, I work for the hospital..and they are all about SAFETY!
I did quote AASM manual regarding live video...doesn't everyone use that now? When I first started here we had a VCR!
Thehiprock

Postby RayMeece » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:44 am

Yeah the AASM definitely "recommends" video recording. But with most systems nowadays, you must start the study to record.

Of course, that is not really a problem. If you have questionable activity going on, the tech can just excuse themselves, go to the tech room, and start the study. There will be a long, up to 30 minute, time before even the pt cals, but at least it is recording what is going on.

in my 23 years, I have NEVER had someone refuse consent to video. Some have initially balked at it, but do consent when the need is explained.
RayMeece

Postby Barbour » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:43 pm

RayMeece wrote:Yeah the AASM definitely "recommends" video recording. But with most systems nowadays, you must start the study to record.

Of course, that is not really a problem. If you have questionable activity going on, the tech can just excuse themselves, go to the tech room, and start the study. There will be a long, up to 30 minute, time before even the pt cals, but at least it is recording what is going on.

in my 23 years, I have NEVER had someone refuse consent to video. Some have initially balked at it, but do consent when the need is explained.

That's kind of counter intuitive, I have to say. I would have thought more people would decline video filming. I know it's there for good reason though.
Barbour

Return to Miscellaneous Sleep Topics