remeron as tx for osa

Nearly everything else 'sleep' related not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: labman2, SCNVsleep

remeron as tx for osa

Postby ang » Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:10 pm

I was just at www.msn.com, and there is an article on osa. It talks about an anti-depressant, remeron, for the tx. of osa. Supposedly reduces number of events and number or arousals (was only tested on 12 people), doesn't say how it works. Anyone heard of this before???
ang

Postby SCNVsleep » Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:23 pm

I read a study in Chest, I believe, that mentioned it being researched as it may help, but data was insufficient. I will have access to the article...will look up the exact references.

I do remember that it didn't sound very promising.
SCNVsleep

Postby sleepguy » Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:01 pm

From what I remember...The study had an n of 12. Showed only a 28% drop in RDI. But I don't remember much about subject selection, criteria, etc. Interestingly, at APSS last week one of the local TV news shows had an interview clip with some doc from the conference saying how Remeron was an alternative to CPAP. That was about all they broadcast, so I'm hoping the TV folks butchered the actual interview.
sleepguy

Postby NYsleepyhead » Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:30 pm

Remeron has the same effects on REM sleep that most heterocyclic antidepressants do (other drugs in the same class as remeron, aka mirtazapine, include: buproprion, trazedone, venlafaxine). In some folks it will delay REM onset long enough that they will not have a rem period in an 8hr sleep. This would dramatically reduce anybody's RDI. This drug's effects are pretty variable on individuals though according to the studies I've seen so I don't know that you could get the same effect for each individual. It would be great if you had REM specific sleep apnea. My understanding is that they used to prescribe antidepressants for sleep apnea can anybody confirm this???
NYsleepyhead

Found it!

Postby SCNVsleep » Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:00 pm

OK...here's the study I was talking about...its more of a study on the quality of previous studies, but there is some interesting info...

American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine
SCNVsleep

Return to Miscellaneous Sleep Topics