Sleepnet

Nearly everything else 'sleep' related not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: labman2, SCNVsleep

Sleepnet

Postby Mandy » Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:27 am

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has noticed that sleepnet.com is closed or on "vacation" A LOT :!:

Today is July 2nd and the forums under sleepnet still say:

Sleepnet.com is on vacation until June 26th. Searches recommended.

I think they need some more moderators :!: :D
Mandy
Friend of binarysleep

Postby sleepadmin » Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:38 am

Ya, remember Mandy... they're on Califonia time. It's just now like the 24th or something.

For a while there I thought they had figured out some stealthy way of keeping me away :D
sleepadmin
Admin

Still closed...

Postby SCNVsleep » Tue Aug 19, 2003 5:04 pm

Here is the text of an email I sent to Sandman, inquiring as to the status of the tech forums, as every other forum on the site is open:

Sandman -

Do you have any intention of re-opening the tech foums on Sleepnet.com? If not, may I ask why? If so, can you at least post an update on the forums as to when we may expect them to re-open?

On vacation until July 28th, kinda doesn't cut it when it August 19th.

Thanks!

He's only ever responded to one other email of mine, so we'll see what happens with this one.
[/quote]
SCNVsleep

hmmmm....

Postby TexasSleepguy » Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:38 pm

Well I guess Binarysleeep was too much after all 4 out 5 tech who use Binary Sleep pass the RPSGT!!!! LOL
TexasSleepguy

Postby Kcomplex » Wed Aug 20, 2003 7:48 pm

In the real world, I would've flashed the bird at Sleepnet. I think they've shown incredible disregard to their "customers", and if they're going to have a forum then they damn well better be professional about it. And yet, once they grace us with their presence finally, everyone will start yammering to Sandman about how great it is that he's back and how much they've missed him (even though they sure hate all the censoring he does, yah yah yah).

So why does Sleepnet get away with it?

Well, like Dr. Phil says, they do it BECAUSE YOU LET THEM.
Kcomplex

Postby bob » Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:42 am

I will agree that at times sleepnet seemed a little too overzealous with regard to deleting posts. I had some of my posts deleted there too - and was surprised. Having said that I recognize that setting up and maintaining a forum is time-consuming and taxing. I appreciate sleepnet's efforts on our behalf. I accepted having some of my posts deleted as their prerogative. It is like anything else in the Free World - I can vote with my feet - or in this case my mouse? - and logoff if I find it unacceptable. I don't see the value in castigating sleepnet for an extended absence from the web. We don't know what difficulties they may be wrestling with. I also greatly appreciate the effort that has been put into creating and maintaining Binarysleep too. I hope that sleepnet does come back and wish them well.
"Courtesy is a great lubricant" - Anonymous
bob

Sleepnet

Postby respbarb » Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:29 pm

Well put, Bob. Thank you for your words, =D>
and now let"s drop this subject once and for all.................. ](*,)
respbarb

talkaboutsleep.com is a sham

Postby clubted » Fri Aug 22, 2003 3:52 am

Tech's who recommend that patient's go to www.talkaboutsleep.com should know that it is a total commercial site. The so-called volunteer staff post under fictious names to make the poor folks who need help feel that there are many people who understand them. They are set up to look like a non-profit and to be trusted, but in reality, they sell products like the papillow and recommend them as they were patients themselves. I find this to be disingenuous.

Before you send someone to that site, remember they are totally commercial and hide behind the guize of all for the patient.
clubted

Postby sleepadmin » Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:11 pm

Dosen't sleepnet make money off of his ads? Last I checked he was asking for 100's for some of those monthly ads.

I'm not condeming the generation of income, but I don't see much difference between sleepnet and talkbaboutsleep. Personally, I refer patients to both. They can decide.
sleepadmin
Admin

Postby Kcomplex » Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:39 pm

Maybe I came off a little too disgruntled the other day... I agree with many of the things that Bob responded with regarding the time/effort involved in maintaining a site. However, I still think it's rude/unprofessional/inconsiderate, etc. to post a note indicating that forums will resume nearly 4 weeks ago, and fail to take the few minutes just to put up another notice saying "sorry guys, it'll be awhile longer". Surely Sandman knows that there have been hundreds of hits since July 28th, with everyone expecting the forums to be back up. Many techs depend on the forums for advice and help, and this situation is doing them a disservice (unless they turn to binarysleep, of course! :D .

I've watched this site for some time, and I would be very surprised if a simliar situation occured here. There seems to be a greater attitude of respirocal responsiveness between the site administrator and correspondents.
Kcomplex

Not only that...

Postby SCNVsleep » Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:47 pm

But aleepadmin doesn't reign supreme here. He understands the need for help and has moderators in place to help. *ahem* /pat self on back mode OFF :lol:

What kills me, is that sandman recently turned over the public forums to the Sleep School...leaving the tech boards his only repsonsibility as far as the site goes. I am sure he is a very busy man, but a little communication would go a long way...

BTW...no reply to my email yet...not even a "Go chase yourself"....
SCNVsleep

Postby BikerJoe » Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:22 pm

Hello all,

A little back ground, I have OSA and have run an AWAKE group at Chester County Hospital in Penna for 4 years. my wife has been a sleep tech for 8 yrs. She was traind for 2 years at Chester Crozier Mediacl center. She was traind more in Neurology than in plane old sleep. She does Polysoms, evoked potentials and many other varied studies.

I must say that 'clubted' really got me going with his post. I have been a chat host at Talkaboutsleep.com for 3 yrs. TalkABoutSleep only went commercial since the beginning of this year, they had to to support themselves. The owners are very careing and helping folks and they do not sensor their message boards like Sleepnet. All of the chat hosts are volunteers, we are there for one reason..........to help other patients like ourselves.................not to push ANY PRODUCT.

Please stop in, I have the chat room on Monday nights........it would be great to have techs drop in.

BikerJoe
BikerJoe

Postby Kcomplex » Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:11 pm

I called the School of Sleep Medicine to ask about the tech forums. The answer is that they hope to be back up next week. We will see... :twisted:
Kcomplex

Postby SCNVsleep » Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:37 pm

Sleepnet.com

Sleepnet.com is on vacation until September 22nd. Searches recommended.

Well......at least its updated.....
SCNVsleep

Postby sleepadmin » Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:51 pm

"There's one born every minute..."

(Phineas Taylor Barnum)

:P
sleepadmin
Admin

Next

Return to Miscellaneous Sleep Topics