What would you do?

Nearly everything else 'sleep' related not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: labman2, SCNVsleep

What would you do?

Postby Tami » Wed Sep 10, 2003 6:18 pm

:?
Last edited by Tami on Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tami

Postby Rick » Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:26 pm

While Candidate B sounds like the preferred person, it is only right then that B is over A. As a former manager I would have to weigh the fact that A will need the job for a lot longer than B, because B is interested in moving on and this job is only a stepping stone to bigger pastures but A will not have time to consider other possibilities and will need money sooner than B. It was always a good sign when an employee would buy a new car or house because they would then need their job more and treat it better than someone who is more interested in moving on to another level or even another field.

So, since you are B, you are going to just move on, right?
Rick

Postby Tami » Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:37 pm

The only reason I was going to move on was because I did not know the position, which is the only position at the lab on days and full time, was opening up. The person who had been in that position had given no indication of ever wanting to leave and her quitting literally shocked everyone. I had coveted that job for a long time and everyone at the lab wanted me to get it, but.....I had enrolled in school before it came open and when it came available I immediatly let my boss know I would not go to school if I got the job. I think he erroneously assumed I had another great option if I didnt get it, but the truth is, I needed that job very much. Now I am working and going to school and making half of what I could have had I got the position. I just enrolled in school so I could "move up", which is what that position would have given me w/o the wait. I was devastated when he didnt offer me the job, I had worked so hard to make that lab what it is and the other applicant barely knew where we kept supplies, much less how to run the lab. He even wanted me to train her so he wouldnt have to do it. Okay, I feel better, LOL. Thanks Rick, youre reply is good food for thought!

Tami
Tami

Postby Showmesleep » Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:08 am

I'd definitely pick candidate 'B'. How can someone be a lead tech and mentor/teacher to others when they aren't competent in sleep? I don't think anyone should be a lead tech without at least 5 years of experience and possibly formal training in sleep.

Good Luck!
Showmesleep

Postby NYsleepyhead » Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:54 pm

The thing that will stand out to many HR people is that candidate B is competent but interested in something else (pre-med) so an investment in this person is not always the best long term thing (no offense) while the other candidate is going to be stable (children) and so on. It is EXTREMELY hard to find longevity in sleep people. I have had this happen to me before as well, not being considered for promotion (or raises) because it was known that I was a short timer. My employer just moved my responsibilities to cover the management position and then didn't fill it. I'd suggest that if you want career advancement opportunities and your current employer doesn't offer them or have any openings soon, go somewhere else. Maybe go back to your pre-med program and start taking classes.
NYsleepyhead

Postby Tech » Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:01 am

Candidate B gets my vote. I will almost always choose quality over quantity. I feel that good management will attract high-quality practitioners, and once acquired, will nurture their personnel, so that staff are inclined to stay.
Tech

another way to look at it

Postby Val » Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:29 pm

I though I would bring this up for thought. Things have been slow. This doesn't really have to do with you Tami, it's just about not getting promoted. Another situation where someone felt passed over.

I worked with a gal that thought she was all that. She felt she should be running the lab and was qualified for it. In her mind her scoring was good and she was qualified to orient staff etc. Indeed she had been doing some scoring, had some new staff spend a few shifts with her.

Sounds good right? Now here’s the crumb. Reality was her scoring was awful, her studies were always rescored and her time on them was considered “training time” by the department to improve her night work and maybe teach her someday to actually score. New staff were given time with her for many reasons. Sometimes the schedule wouldn’t work out any other way, other times to make sure everyone knew everyone and was exposed to each other’s work habits. Some of the people she thought she was “orienting/training” were actually evaluating problems with her or reporting problems in her work afterwards. Sometimes they were just working the same shift. She never really was training the other new staff but she made it out to herself that she was.

Many times she was told about the problems with her scoring, her work, etc. She was told she wasn’t measuring up and there were problems in several areas. To management she would say she would study harder, work on it etc. She put up a front of knowing she needed to work to improve. Still in her mind, she was convinced she was very qualified and what management was telling her was just because she wasn’t “liked”. Even the MD telling her that her scoring, etc. needed more work just didn’t sink in.

(Just so we are clear Tami- this person is obviously got other problems because the MD told her she wasn’t doing well and she still couldn’t accept that SHE wasn’t doing as well as she THOUGHT she was. I’m sure this in not your case.)

Step by step she was going down the path for eventual termination but reality of that was apparently just not there. She was resentful about not being able to be promoted and being “held back”. This was expressed to other staff and eventually she quit and went to work at another lab.

So, what can you do if a person thinks they are more qualified than another person and in reality they are not? On the surface things may look one way but actually be another.

The truth is, exactly why anyone promotes one person and not another, is not always 100% clear to those working underneath, or even to those being considered and passed over.

Well, back to work with me. Anyone else have any situations where somone got passed over that felt they should have had a promotion?
Val

Return to Miscellaneous Sleep Topics