mattress selection

Nearly everything else 'sleep' related not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: labman2, SCNVsleep

mattress selection

Postby benzzzz » Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:25 am

Starting new lab and want to know any opinions on mattress choice. I know some labs have used the tempurpedic (foam), and the sleep number bed (air). Any experience with this?
benzzzz

Postby RayMeece » Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:19 am

Not with those types, but we use the Sealy Posturepedic bed. 90% of our patients say it is the most comfortable they have ever been on. I have read that the Tempurpedic has problems with the sleepers getting hot, because the foam doesn't "breathe". I have only heard that complaint once, but maybe others know of similar things.
RayMeece

Postby bob » Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:29 am

We tested Tempurpedic some years ago and found it very uncomfortable. What experience have other people had?
bob

Postby sleeper » Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:17 pm

I bought a Tempurpedic several years ago for personal use. I kept it for 1 month. I couldn't stand the smell and it took several minutes for the foam to 'conform' to my body each time I turned over. I returned it and purchased a conventional mattress.
sleeper

Postby sleepadmin » Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:38 pm

All of our beds are Select Comfort Sleep Number Beds. While one might think all top of the line beds are comparable, we have found some significant advantages of using Sleep Number beds in a Lab. We liked the idea of having a bed that can adjust to the preference of different sleepers each night. They are also modular as well, so we can easily zip off the pillow top and send it out for sterilization (or replace it :? ). Our models are rated at 500 lbs, and I think the newer ones go up over 800+.

I have heard Tempurpedic beds can be comfortable, however are quite dependant on ambient temperature. If your room is cold (as most people like it) then each time you change positions in bed it takes a considerable amount of time for the foam to readjust to you.

I was so pleased with my labs expereince with their beds, I contacted them about giving us sleep professionals a nice discount... but alas nothing so far :roll:
sleepadmin
Admin

This post was moved to here

Postby sleepadmin » Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:20 am

benzzzz wrote:

Thanks for all the replies everyone. We are most likely going with the sleep number bed, and the posts help to reinforce our thoughts. Thanks again!!
sleepadmin
Admin

Return to Miscellaneous Sleep Topics