North Carolina's new law (Jan 1st, 2012)

Nearly everything else 'sleep' related not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: SCNVsleep, labman2

North Carolina's new law (Jan 1st, 2012)

Postby Gizmo » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:55 am

Are sleep labs and techs in NC scrambling to get in compliance with the upcoming law stating that ALL sleep techs must be RPSGT's and register with the medical licensing board?

Big changes are coming in NC and I'm curious if sleep labs/techs are taking it as seriously as they should be.
Gizmo

Re: North Carolina's new law (Jan 1st, 2012)

Postby LadyCandy » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:18 am

Gizmo wrote:Are sleep labs and techs in NC scrambling to get in compliance with the upcoming law stating that ALL sleep techs must be RPSGT's and register with the medical licensing board?

Big changes are coming in NC and I'm curious if sleep labs/techs are taking it as seriously as they should be.

All sleep labs that aren't government :)

There is some confusion about the student exemptions. It's important to note that the language does not say either or, it means all three must be accomplished by the student to receive exemption from the Act.
Exemption-
polysomnographic services and post-training experience are performed by the student as an integral part of the student's course of study, the polysomnographic services are performed under the direct supervision of a registered polysomnographic technologist; and the student adheres to post-training examination guidelines established by the Board.

Direct supervision is an act whereby a registered polysomnographic technologist who is providing supervision is present in the area where the polysomnographic procedure is being performed and immediately available to furnish assistance and direction throughout the performance of the procedure.

To attempt to simplify that stuff, the first part just means, they have to be in school FOR polysomnography. The second obviously means you can't stick students or recent graduates in a 2 bed lab by themselves. And the last seems to mean new graduates can be employed, but I believe they have a time line to get registered or they must cease to practice polysomnography.

Direct supervision has been debated a lot, the language of this bill seems to indicate that in a 4 or more bed setting a student can run their own patients, while the RPSGT runs their own. The RPSGT needs only to be present and able to help the student/recent graduate. Obviously most labs don't let students run studies alone, so much as watch and learn, or shadow a RPSGT.
LadyCandy

Postby TheREMBaron » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:53 am

As a tech I'm all set. I also have a manager who is on the ball. I've got no worries.
Procrastinators beware....
TheREMBaron

Postby LadyCandy » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:22 am

Haha..yeah. I was registered with the NC medical board shortly after midnight the day they opened up registration! :)
LadyCandy

Postby sleeptechinca » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:53 am

Does anyone know when it will be a requirement to be either registered or an Rt?
sleeptechinca

Postby TheREMBaron » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:07 am

sleeptechinca wrote:Does anyone know when it will be a requirement to be either registered or an Rt?

What do you mean? for California? or North Carolina?

NC is Jan 1st. I know nothing about other states besides Virginia.
TheREMBaron

Postby somnonaut » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:32 pm

Is the wording in NC "Registered" or does it specifically state "RPSGT"? Just wondering how RST will be viewed.
somnonaut

Postby RPSGT88athome » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:35 pm

RPSGT88athome

Postby somnonaut » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:51 pm

Thought so, shot yourself in the foot putting direct wording in the legislation.
somnonaut

Postby LadyCandy » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:30 am

Upon further review...all the RRTs in NC who are employed as sleep techs and haven't gotten their RPSGT yet...can't register with the NCMB til they do? And thus can't do their jobs if they fail to attain the RPSGT by January? Seems harsh, heh.
LadyCandy

Postby RPSGT88athome » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:22 am

Only if they meet the Sleep requirements of the NC Respiratory Care Board.

RPSGT88
RPSGT88athome

Postby Sleepy in the South » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:58 pm

I bet the RTs who are not rpsgts will get the sds credentials instead of the rpsgt or rst. And that's if they want to stay in sleep. I would rather be on the floor.

I wish this was a law for all states.
Sleepy in the South

Postby somnonaut » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm

somnonaut

Postby somnonaut » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:06 pm

Or take the RPSGT which has the same 6 month experiential pathway for them.
http://www.brpt.org/default.asp?contentID=85
somnonaut

Postby Gizmo » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:05 am

Will someone please clear this up for me as I've talked to two different lab managers in NC who say that a CPSGT can continue to work as long as they are working with a RPSGT.

I don't read the new law this way. Since the law mentions nothing about a CPSGT, wouldn't they be committing a Class 1 misdemeanor since they can't even register with the NC medical board?
Gizmo

Next

Return to Miscellaneous Sleep Topics