North Carolina's new law (Jan 1st, 2012)

Nearly everything else 'sleep' related not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: SCNVsleep, labman2

Postby LadyCandy » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:29 am

Gizmo wrote:Will someone please clear this up for me as I've talked to two different lab managers in NC who say that a CPSGT can continue to work as long as they are working with a RPSGT.

I don't read the new law this way. Since the law mentions nothing about a CPSGT, wouldn't they be committing a Class 1 misdemeanor since they can't even register with the NC medical board?

I'm not sure how to clear it up other than call the NCMB and ask directly.

I agree with you, though, the language is very clear. In fact it's clarity is the problem. 90-677.5 List requirements: Evidence that the person is currently credentialed in good standing by the Board as a Registered Polysomnographic Technologist (RPSGT)

Our legislation started before the CPSGT came to be. NC Polysomnography Act passed in 2009, CPSGT started in 2010. Really really poor foresight it seems. I desperately hate giving somno credit for being right on about something, but using overly specific terms in these practice acts is a recipe for disaster, or so it seems.
LadyCandy

Postby Gizmo » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:39 am

Thank you, LC. It doesn't seem right to me that the law hasn't been ammended to include CPSGT's. At least if a tech has that credential, it shows they have made some effort but perhaps aren't quite ready to take the RPSGT exam.

As it appears right now, all CPSGT's will lose their job in NC very soon, IF this law is abided by.
Gizmo

Postby LadyCandy » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:45 am

Gizmo wrote:Thank you, LC. It doesn't seem right to me that the law hasn't been ammended to include CPSGT's. At least if a tech has that credential, it shows they have made some effort but perhaps aren't quite ready to take the RPSGT exam.

As it appears right now, all CPSGT's will lose their job in NC very soon, IF this law is abided by.

The alternative is, should someone bring this problem to the NCMB, and there be counted a significant number of people effected by it, they can postpone the effective date. Similar to Maryland having delayed their licensing due to them not being ready to bar all non registered techs from practicing.
LadyCandy

E-mail this morning from Ted Thurm of AASM:

Postby RPSGT88athome » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:22 pm

Sent: Friday, November 18, 2011 9:03 AM
Subject: Polysomnography Practice Act goes into effect on January 1, 2012 - Requires all sleep technologists to have their RPSGT credential!!

Dear North Carolina Sleep Professional,

As a reminder, the North Carolina Polysomnography Practice Act will go into effect on January 1, 2012. The Act requires all sleep technologists to have their RPSGT credential and register with the North Carolina State Medical Board.

All sleep technologists must register with the Medical Board and submit fees before January 1, 2012.

Please click on the link provided by the Medical Board and follow instructions. FAQs have been created by the Medical Board to help sleep techs understand the registration requirement: http://www.ncmedboard.org/notices/detai ... _sept._15/

Registering with the Medical Board began on September 15th, 2011 and you must register on line. If you are a technologist please complete this process as soon as possible. If you are a physician, please inform all of your technologists that they must begin registration with the NC Medical Board. Also, the link to the "Polysomnography Practice Act" is provided: http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/Sessions/20 ... H819v6.pdf

Thank you for your cooperation as this is a requirement pursuant to NC General Statutes. (Information provided to the North Carolina Academy of Sleep Medicine and by the North Carolina Medical Board)
RPSGT88athome

Postby Gizmo » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:25 am

Thanks James. LC, I agree about calling the medical board and if I were a CPSGT in NC, I would of called them long ago.

This new law along with starting sometime in 2012, CMS will only reimburse to accredited labs, is going to make things very interesting.

Be happy if you are a RPSGT working in an accredited lab in NC as you should have no worries. :D To all of the other unregistered techs (and I know this is a lot of them), is all I can say is I'm scared for you as it is no fun to be unemployed.
Gizmo

Re: North Carolina's new law (Jan 1st, 2012)

Postby sleepislove » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:25 pm

Hello,

I realize this thread is a few years old, but I have some relevant concerns. I am strongly considering heading into this field but I have some of these same questions that were raised in this initial thread. I'm hoping with a few years having gone by there is some further clarification.

Is it possible to work as a tech AT ALL in NC without the RPSGT credential? My question is because with a focused training pathway you are not even eligible to sit for the RPSGT exam without 819 hours of clinical experience. The only possible way to even earn the credential would be to first spend some time working as a CPSGT, no?

I suppose the only other alternative would be that focused pathways will not work in NC, and you must have at least a two year degree? Any clarification would be most helpful! FYI -- by no means am I trying to take "the path of least resistance" or cut corners, I am just at a time when it would literally be impossible to attend college classes with a brand new baby and working full time.

Thanks so much!
sleepislove

Postby sleepislove » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:25 pm

Hello,

I realize this thread is a few years old, but I have some relevant concerns. I am strongly considering heading into this field but I have some of these same questions that were raised in this initial thread. I'm hoping with a few years having gone by there is some further clarification.

Is it possible to work as a tech AT ALL in NC without the RPSGT credential? My question is because with a focused training pathway you are not even eligible to sit for the RPSGT exam without 819 hours of clinical experience. The only possible way to even earn the credential would be to first spend some time working as a CPSGT, no?

I suppose the only other alternative would be that focused pathways will not work in NC, and you must have at least a two year degree? Any clarification would be most helpful! FYI -- by no means am I trying to take "the path of least resistance" or cut corners, I am just at a time when it would literally be impossible to attend college classes with a brand new baby and working full time.

Thanks so much!
sleepislove

Postby RPSGT2000something » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:37 am

sleepislove,

I think sleep techs who work at VA hospital sleep labs are exempt from this law but someone correct me if I'm wrong. If I were living and wanting to work as a sleep tech in NC, I'd think about it real hard because there are many polysomnography schools in that state so even RPSGT's are competing for jobs right now. I heard some of the new graduates can't even find work. If you live close to SC, you don't have to be a RPSGT or register with the medical board (yet) but the pay usually reflects this.
RPSGT2000something

Postby somnonaut » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:00 am

My knowledge is that Federal entities are exempt from state laws, though many of them follow state precedence to allow their workers to be current in their fields.
somnonaut

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous Sleep Topics