Buying a new Sleep System. Which one??

A forum for the comparison of PSG systems used for attended sleep studies in a sleep center.

Moderators: TexasSleepguy, labman2

Buying a new Sleep System. Which one??

Postby m221005 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:31 pm

Hi, our 6 bed lab is looking to upgrade or purchase a new Sleep system in the coming year. We currently use Alice 5. The question is, do we upgrade from Alice 5 to 6 like we did from 3 to 4 and then from 4 to 5 or do we go with something different with more options. Our hospital now has a EPIC for our EMR so HL7 interface is a must.
Please pitch in with your thoughts on other systems. Which ones are not worth wasting time looking into and which systems are the best in your opinion. Your feedback is appreciated! Thanks!
m221005

Postby tiredjohnny1 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:43 am

Upgrading to Alice 6 might be the least expensive route. However, SleepVirtual BWIII is a good system that allows you also to run EEG. The system used to be reasonably priced before they redesigned the headbox for full EEG (around 11-14k). I don't know the most recent prices.
tiredjohnny1

Postby somnonaut » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:24 am

With Natus now owning the lion's share of sleep systems I have been told they will solidify usage of Enterprise as their database. So, Sandman's Pursuit will be gone (not that it ever was HL7 anywhere I ever heard.) Rembrandt and Remlogic and XLTEK and Biologic (all Natus) will all play in the Enterprise sandbox. Sounds quite the adventure.
Compumedics does HL7.
Not sure on Cadwell
Alice has no database that I know of.
How do you keep track of all of the visits to the sleep center offices that do not have PSG, as the Accreditation H5 standard mandates?
somnonaut

Postby tiredjohnny1 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:17 am

somnonaut wrote:How do you keep track of all of the visits to the sleep center offices that do not have PSG, as the Accreditation H5 standard mandates?

Sorry I don't know of any Alice database either (hate Alice). I use XLTek and there is a database.
tiredjohnny1

Postby somnonaut » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:27 am

But from what I hear, there's will be little room at Natus for multiple databases.
somnonaut

Postby m221005 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:28 pm

Hi, Yes we definitely need something with a comprehensive database. It will certainly help with following the progress of each study from acquisition tech, to scorer, to MD for reading, and then archiving etc. We understand that a new system will certainly be more costly, but feel that we are being severly limited with Alice 5 so may be willing to pay more if we can get a great system that does it all. How do people like Cadwell, XLtek, Rembrandt, Remlogic, Compumedics, Grass etc.

If you could start over and buy any sleep system, which one would it be? Keep in mind that we do a variety of montages RBD, Fullhead EEGs, Peds, and with some frequency ASV and AVAPS. We also expect that any new system would have MPEG4 cameras so that we can reduce the size of our A/V files.

Thanks for your help!
Gina
m221005

Postby linuxgeek » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:20 pm

Somnomedics seems to be about the most advanced system I've seen, also with HL7, etc. You can do full EEG, brain mapping, they have their own esophageal balloons, they even have their own NPT system.

The main downside is that you need to get all the sensors from them, which I'm guessing is more expensive than usual.
linuxgeek

Postby somnonaut » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:47 pm

I have been trying to score in Somnomedics to learn for a local lab, and it is quite the project, to say the least. Half the help file is in German. Couldn't even figure out how to get hold of anyone. Now the U.S. rep is leaving the company, so who knows what will happen. I only recently figured out how to change stages...literally. It is not intuitive by any stretch. Yes, it is advanced, but just like Rembrandt was advanced when we bought the first units in the U.S. people looked at me and said, yeah you have to be Claude to use all the things fully. And I can't use Somnomedics yet. So, go figure.
So now I will say, you have to be Oscar to use it fully. And who has time to pump into software like that? They need to streamline it immensely. IMHO.
somnonaut

Postby m221005 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:52 pm

Thanks for the feedback on Somnomedics. How do people like Rembrandt, Cadwell, and XLtek?
m221005

Postby m221005 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:55 pm

I am not familiar with SleepVirtual. Tiredjohny1, could you share your experience with this system? Pros/Cons list. WOuld you purchase again?
m221005

Postby tiredjohnny1 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:23 am

m221005 wrote:I am not familiar with SleepVirtual. Tiredjohny1, could you share your experience with this system? Pros/Cons list. WOuld you purchase again?

I work in a neurology-based lab so EEG capability is very important to us. We had 4 XLTek beds and when we expanded to 8 beds we looked at many systems. I would have liked to purchase Sleepvirtual but at the time they did not have full head EEG capability. So for that reason and because we did not want to use two different systems and/or replace the 4 machines we already had, we purchased 4 more XLTek.

I like Sleepvirtual because its functionality is similar to XLTek, with its excellent tracings, ease of use, and full head EEG capacity. But unlike XLTek, the equipment is portable, can be used for full acquisition or HST, can be accessed remotely even during acquisition (on your tablet if you like), and lifetime customer service is included in the cost. Seems to be a very high-tech, user-friendly, relatively inexpensive sleep/EEG device. Of course, if the price has gone up significantly then that should be considered. But the CEO and the sales director stop in occasionally to meet clients--what other company does that?

We did make the mistake a couple of years ago of buying an Alice5 and I wish we would have used that money for the SleepVirtual, since EEG on Alice5 is horrible anyway.
tiredjohnny1

Postby linuxgeek » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:18 pm

Good to know about somnomedics. We will likely get a unit in for testing.

Our rep is in San Francisco. I assume there's more than one rep for the US.
linuxgeek

Postby labman2 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:24 pm

somnonaut wrote:I have been trying to score in Somnomedics to learn for a local lab, and it is quite the project, to say the least. Half the help file is in German. Couldn't even figure out how to get hold of anyone. Now the U.S. rep is leaving the company, so who knows what will happen. I only recently figured out how to change stages...literally. It is not intuitive by any stretch. Yes, it is advanced, but just like Rembrandt was advanced when we bought the first units in the U.S. people looked at me and said, yeah you have to be Claude to use all the things fully. And I can't use Somnomedics yet. So, go figure.
So now I will say, you have to be Oscar to use it fully. And who has time to pump into software like that? They need to streamline it immensely. IMHO.

Vielleicht ist Herr Claude, sie sind einfach alt!!!!!
:wink: :lol: :lol:
labman2

Postby somnonaut » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:00 am

schließen Sie Ihre Falle Kobold
8) :lol:
somnonaut

Postby Hypnagogic Hal » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:45 pm

Spielen Sie jetzt nett, Jungs.
:) :wink:
Hypnagogic Hal

Next

Return to Which "In lab" system is for me?