Life Span of a Sleep System

A forum for the comparison of PSG systems used for attended sleep studies in a sleep center.

Moderators: TexasSleepguy, labman2

Life Span of a Sleep System

Postby sleepchick » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:49 am

Can anyone tell me the average life span of sleep systems? We have had our system for 5 years and have had numerous problems. I would like to persuade my boss that it is time to shop for something new. Please help with any ideas or suggestions.
sleepchick

Postby domino512 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:56 pm

I would say replacing a system every 5-6 years is an appropriate ballpark.

Another measure you could use is how long the vendor supports the equipment. If your equipment is so old the vendor no longer does software updates or if your hardware hasn't been fast enough to run their newest software in a while, you may wish to replace the equipment.
Are spare parts still available for your equipment? Are you in the position that if something vital breaks without warning, you have one or two beds shut down until you purchase a replacement system?

Are you or do you want to be networked? Can your current system handle that?

Often you can hold on to reader stations much longer than acquisition stations.

If you are in a hospital, talk to your Biomed or IS dept to see if they have any policies or guidelines regarding aging equipment. Also, someone in your budgeting/finance departement may have information regarding equipment depreciation or if replacements are expected at any particular increments.
domino512

THanks - domino512

Postby sleepchick » Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:05 pm

I appreciate your help. Each one of your suggestions are all worth looking in to!

Thanks again!
Jill
sleepchick

Postby bob » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:13 am

I have had three systems that went out of business on me - oh yes that's why they were so much cheaper than the competition! There is something to getting with a big company that will probably be around a while - though even then there are no guarantees. Our present system has been going for 6.5 years and I expect it to run with occasional updates and upgrades for at least that long again.
bob

Postby TwinSmoke » Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:48 am

I think it depends on the system and personal preferance. I know of some labs that are still using the old paper method.
TwinSmoke

Return to Which "In lab" system is for me?