Do Not Buy This

A forum for the comparison of PSG systems used for attended sleep studies in a sleep center.

Moderators: TexasSleepguy, labman2

Postby Terese » Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:10 pm

REMbrandt is what we purchased a year ago when we moved from a 2-bed to a 4-bed center. Our Sensor-Medics equipment was 5 years old, and it couldn't be updated anymore, so we shopped around. Sensor Medics didn't offer a good enough price for us, being longtime customers with the here and at a previous site, so we went with REMbrandt. They had a dynamo salesman. We had looked at Compumedics and Sandman also. It didn't take long to discover that REMbrandt is extremely sophisticated equipment, but it isn't at all tech friendly. Their technology is way over what any tech needs to get a great overnight sleep study. Their training is deplorable. We needed a lot more help than we received, and now we have to pay $1500.00 for a measly two-day training, which will help, but unless they plan to work day and night for two days and two nights, how will they help unless we don't schedule patients, and have all the techs come in for daytime training? And that's not an option. Any problem we've called about, their night tech support person can't seem to help, and keeps telling my techs to have the day person call. When I call, they spend a lot of time with me on the phone that I really don't have, and the problems aren't fixed. We've had to repeat patients at no charge, I've been spoken to like a 5 year old by their tech support, etc., etc., ad nauseum. Now we all just hate the equipment and we're trying to figure out what to do next. I'll keep the stuff as long as I have to then it's goodbye REMbrandt, and hello to an easier system. We also have had four techs quit in the past year, so we're always training someone new. It's been a hassle. I've posted more on the subject here under different headings. How's that for specifics? If you'd like to talk to me about it, call me at 715-735-8070. Thanx for the ear.
Terese

Don't forget software update costs

Postby steves » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:05 pm

I understand that software improvements cost money but if they would give it away cheaper more outside scorers would have it wouldn't their system become more popular and well known and so they'ld sell more?

I used Alice 3 for 5 years and found it reliable with good tech support (this may or may not have changed since they were taken over by someone else-respironics?) and software updates were FREE! The system was limited with some things but for 90% of my studies it didn't matter.

The software update issue is something that I think is important. With the current system I had some suggestions for the software that they said were included on new version (i.e. I'd like to have some "user defined events" like my old Alice system) ... if I bought it for $2500! It's been 13 months that we've had the equipment. But since talking to the the sales rep he has said that we are going to get it at no cost. If everything goes the way it looks like it will we will be pretty happy.
steves

Better Specifics

Postby Rick » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:58 pm

Terese,
Thank you. Have you asked those REMbrandt people if you can get hold of someone local to you that has one of their systems? It might be easier to find a tech who knows by using this system and pay them to come and help y'all understand the quirks in that system. I think any tech would do that for a full week, afternoons and evenings for the day and night folks for the $1,500!
Rick

Sleep Equipment

Postby sleepforfee » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:33 pm

We decided to buy the Compumedics system because we had a local rep and had know him for years. We have had nothing but trouble with the system working and tech support is on speed dial. After forking out the money our local rep quit and it has been a nightmare. After spending 18 months trying to get the bugs out and now the company is telling us to buy an additional server to get the system tight. We will see in about 3 weeks when the new server comes in. Every support tech that goes in our system changes something that the last guy did. I think it's a real lack of training for the support staff. Don't spend it until you ask around to other labs and see if it really is a good system.
sleepforfee

Postby somnus diabolus » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:08 pm

sleepadmin wrote:About Alice: While the sensors are mostly limited to what they supply, the ones they provide are pretty nice (IMHO). I thought some aftermarket companies made some cables for the Alice... I could be wrong though.

On a side note...I heard that Tulane University uses Alice 3 for research :-s
WoW!!!
somnus diabolus

Re: Sleep Equipment

Postby somnus diabolus » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:11 pm

sleepforfee wrote:We decided to buy the Compumedics system because we had a local rep and had know him for years. We have had nothing but trouble with the system working and tech support is on speed dial. After forking out the money our local rep quit and it has been a nightmare. After spending 18 months trying to get the bugs out and now the company is telling us to buy an additional server to get the system tight. We will see in about 3 weeks when the new server comes in. Every support tech that goes in our system changes something that the last guy did. I think it's a real lack of training for the support staff. Don't spend it until you ask around to other labs and see if it really is a good system.
It is a fantastic system when working properly. Yes, their support staff are sometimes not good at all. Are you using Nexus? If so, you really need to set it up the way the Compumedics engineers say so. Not what IT says. It is really buggy, and has to be set up exactly right. If you aren't using Nexus, PM me, and I'll check your settings over the phone one night if you want.
somnus diabolus

Nexus

Postby sleepforfee » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:46 pm

Yes we are using Nexus. We have another server being built so we will see if a magic server is the fix. Thanks for your offer and if you hear a loud boom around December 15th it will be my head exploding. :evil:
sleepforfee

Postby cesmith11 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:31 am

Do not get polysmith. Especially if you are planning to run pediatrics. The combined cannula and EtCO2 system is extremely large and hard to keep on any patient, especially smaller kids. The EtCO2 also does not read well at all, no matter how you put it on.

Also, ever single time you call support, the first thing they always say is "Well, I have never seen that before." Like the last 10 different problems I have had have all been "new" problems to them.

My lab has had this system for the last 6 months, and quite frankly, every tech is very dissatisfied. There is some talk of switching back to Sandman.
cesmith11

Re: Nexus

Postby somnonaut » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:55 am

sleepforfee wrote:Yes we are using Nexus. We have another server being built so we will see if a magic server is the fix. Thanks for your offer and if you hear a loud boom around December 15th it will be my head exploding. :evil:

Hey what ever happened. No boom here?
somnonaut

Re: Nexus

Postby sleepforfee » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:56 pm

somnonaut wrote:
sleepforfee wrote:Yes we are using Nexus. We have another server being built so we will see if a magic server is the fix. Thanks for your offer and if you hear a loud boom around December 15th it will be my head exploding. :evil:

Hey what ever happened. No boom here?

Thanks for asking. The company sent in there most senior tech and after spending over 13 hours said he couldn't fix it.
I called our IT company and they had it all running smoothly after just a little over three hours.
I think the biggest problem is Compumedics doesn't have a more defined list of setting up the entire network. I asked them to send me their latest specs for the network and what we have is way above what anything they said is needed for the software to work. They should be the ones to make sure all hardware is configured in a way that their product will work.
Hope you have a great 2013 and we have a software that works. :D
sleepforfee

Goodbye!

Postby flowerdreamer » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:01 pm

Please be advised that, effective January 31st 2013 Embla will no longer offer the Sandman SD32+ PSG amplifier.

While the Sandman SD32+ will no longer be available, all existing Extended Support agreements and warranties will be honored. Extended Support renewals will not be offered for the Sandman SD32+.

End of Sales: January 31st, 2013
*End of Service & Support: January 31st, 2018
flowerdreamer

Revival...new system to avoid.

Postby MastaFunk » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:05 pm

Somnomedics wireless transmit.
System is horrible, but very cool at the same time. Reports are full of bugs... the MD was sold swiftly by a smooth talking sales rep. In-lab it has been a headache, you CAN NOT turn off auto-staging... which is wrong on every-single epoch.

The new Lab being built other side of Orlando...will not be using this system. Even the MD is as upset as I, once he started trying to score a little and print reports.

They had a great concept...maybe version 5.0 might be better.
MastaFunk

Re:

Postby glenn » Thu May 26, 2016 8:43 pm

sleepadmin wrote:About Alice: While the sensors are mostly limited to what they supply, the ones they provide are pretty nice (IMHO). I thought some aftermarket companies made some cables for the Alice... I could be wrong though.

On a side note...I heard that Tulane University uses Alice 3 for research :-s

I believe you are right, my doc trained at Tulane and speaks of it.
glenn

Re: Do Not Buy This

Postby glenn » Thu May 26, 2016 8:48 pm

NK v8 in satellite 2 bed. Staff knowledge is limited factor. Improving!

Replace 6 NK beds with XLTEK. Wonderful, some intuitive things lost, like no duplicate scoring, etc due to tab settings, but once we learned those things, we have enjoyed using it. My heart love NK though!

We have purchased the Enterprise Software to integrate the lab and hospital EMR. Excited for the possibilities.
glenn

Re: Do Not Buy This

Postby cmassicotte » Fri May 27, 2016 12:06 pm

no duplicate scoring

Hi Glenn, what do you mean by this? You can definitely have more than one person score a file and the results can be compared for QA in Sleepworks (XLTEK).
cmassicotte

Previous

Return to Which "In lab" system is for me?