If you had to choose between only these two systems....

A forum for the comparison of PSG systems used for attended sleep studies in a sleep center.

Moderators: TexasSleepguy, labman2

If you had to choose between only these two systems....

Postby RPSGTsince1997 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:10 pm

Sensormedics/Viasys version 7.2 or
Sandman Elite

what would you choose and why? We have looked at other systems and have narrowed it down to these two but we'd like some input on those who have actually use or have used the systems. You know how the reps can make things look really good and there's no comparison to experience.

Please only reply if you're familiar with both systems. Thank you.
RPSGTsince1997

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:23 pm

The systems you have listed are the software, what amplifiers do they use?
Just a thought to bother you while you contemplate systems.
Also, if you use DC equipment, do the systems allow for connecting DC equipment in the patient room or will you be required to run cable to connect in the control room?
Just more things to consider.............. :wink:
Rick

Postby knbuie » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:19 am

I am currently using Viasys. I would not wish it upon my worst enemy. It is the most difficult system that I have ever seen. I have 17 years experience and have used SEVERAL systems but I have to say that the Viasys system was made by folks that have never done a sleep study. There are so many problems with the software such as: 1) double counting of EKG 2) snoring is not detected by software 3) double counts PLM's. Those are just a few.
knbuie

Postby karerose » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:20 am

Viasys is great. I have been using it for over 6 years and feel that it is very user friendly. Tech support has improved significantly through the years. The system has a lot of features that others don't, if you know how to utilize them. With each upgrade, more and more convenient features are added.
It does not "double count" limb movements, unless you are scoring them too close together. As for the EKG, occasionally it will double count, but it is an easy fix and in my experience... rarely occurs. Snoring is always picked up... the snore mic might be the problem... not the software!
The amplifiers are Cephalo Pro and do have DC ports in the front.
karerose

Postby knbuie » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:05 pm

Karerose, How long have you worked for Viasys? You sound just like all of those people that I have talked to from the company. As far as the "double counting", I have had a couple of the service techs in my lab looking at what I am seeing and they don't understand why it is doing it. They have set my all the settings for detection and they have actually ran the detection on several of my studies. As far as the snoring is concerned the snore mic is working fine. There is always a HUGH deflection on the screen but when the autoscore feature is used it will count NONE. Again, the service tech has seen WITH HIS OWN EYES that the "system" that we have is doing this. Again, the standard response is "we are working on it". I have many years experience working with several different systems and I understand that some are better than others and some are worse.

The one thing that really makes me wonder about Viasys is the "standard" answer of "We are working on that for our next upgrade" is getting VERY old
knbuie

Postby karerose » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:29 pm

Actually, I don't work for Viasys. I previously worked at a lab who beta tested for them.. yes. The system is what you make it. You do have to go in and make adjustments to some of the default settings and also in the autoscore settings. That is the beauty of it.. you can customize it to suite your labs needs. I have also found that the custom reports are very impressive.
No system is perfect they all have certain issues.. but all in all I feel that it is great software and will stick with it, and look forward to seeing all the improvements that they make with it.
Again, this is my opinion. I am sure the person who was inquiring about which system to choose has already made that decision.. if so.. what did you go with ? Just curious. :)
karerose

Postby oldsleeper » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:26 pm

you autoscore?
oldsleeper

Postby karerose » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:26 pm

Heck no, I don't autoscore. The settings on the autoscore can be adjusted for criteria, like PLMS.
karerose

Postby knbuie » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:38 pm

I only use the auroscore as a tool. I never autoscore without checking everything. I like to use the utoscore to help me count things like snoring and PLM's without having to count each one. I have physicans that like a snore index and a PLMS index. With the system if I wanted to have a snore index I would have to count each event by hand. I guess I got used to a system that would count each snore and PLM without having to spend 7 hours counting each episode.
knbuie

Postby oldsleeper » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:28 pm

"There is always a HUGH deflection on the screen but when the autoscore feature is used it will count NONE."

Try filtering the HUGE deflection to attenuate the signal and then try to auto score - maybe the software can't distinguish the frequency changes so it counts nothing. Are you using the default settings?

I have used Sensormedic for many years - and customer service usually sucks :? but like karerose, I have found it to be very customizable, you just have to figure it out, usually without tech support cause even they don't know what's possible! We have devised not only custom reports but a super interp template as well.

Good luck!
oldsleeper

Postby knbuie » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:23 pm

oldsleeper would be available for me to call and bounce some things off of? I am having trouble getting this system to do what I am used to. I have changed from the default settings, as insturcted by Viasys, without much change. If you would be willing to help out send me a pm with your number and I will call you
knbuie

Postby oldsleeper » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:04 am

okey dokey
oldsleeper

Postby sandman47 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:34 pm

I love Viasys myself, with Biologic right up there as well. For the life of me though I can't quite understand why they shouldn't be able to write software that would score leg movements. It's a muscle burst for crying out loud. Pretty straight forward if you ask me.
sandman47

Return to Which "In lab" system is for me?