WHICH IS BETTER?

A forum for the comparison of PSG systems used for attended sleep studies in a sleep center.

Moderators: TexasSleepguy, labman2

If you were given a choice of the following whihc would you choose.

Compumedics (PSG Online/Profusion) w/o Morpheus
13%
Compumedics (PSG Online/Profusion) with Morpheus
8%
Alice w/o Morpheus
8%
Alice with Morpheus
8%
Other
65%

Total votes : 40

WHICH IS BETTER?

Postby Asleep in Maine » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:08 am

If you were given a choice of the following, which would you choose? If you choose other, could you elaborate with a post. There have been murmurings of my software getting switched and, if asked, I'd like to have an educated opinion for my preference other than I like the name Alice.
Asleep in Maine

Postby Sleepsgood » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:19 am

I used to use Alice. It was a good program. It was especially easy for impedance because if you had a high impedance the channel was red.. if it was good it was green.
The only downfall I remember is you have to wait until the morning after you've finished the study to enter the data. It makes it super easy to forget things.. I took to writing notes on a pad of paper on the side, and then re-entering once morning came.
Sleepsgood

Postby Rocklandish » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:57 am

I have only used compumedics
Rocklandish

Postby stars » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:48 am

Compumedics (PSG Online/Profusion) with Morpheus very simple and good system
stars

Postby RPSGT88athome » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:37 pm

I like Compumedics.

RPSGT88
RPSGT88athome

Postby Rusty.Sullivan » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:37 pm

I have used just about everything on the market, and Sandman is the most tech-friendly (both collection and analysis) hands-down, IMNSHO.
Rusty.Sullivan

Postby Asleep in Maine » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:33 am

Thnks for all of your replies. They've been very useful. But, I see 116 views and only 5 replies. Come on y'all, hook a brother up, and let me know what you think is best.
Asleep in Maine

Postby REM-KEEPER » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:47 am

i am going to have to go sandman here also, I have used Viasystems, and it wasnt too bad, alice was my least favorite, but Sandman takes the cake. Sandman is user friendly, has alot of options, and is pretty much an all around good system. The only complaint I have is having to scale the channels every 30 seconds, but other than that it works great!
REM-KEEPER

Postby LingLIng » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:21 am

We run Sandman and Alice here... It's all I know. Now, between those two, I'm with Sandman.

Be glad you're getting new equipment!!! :lol:
LingLIng

Postby sleptthewrongway » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:01 pm

I have used Alice 3,4,5, Sandman 7 and 8 (I think) and also Viasys-

I like Sandman the BEST without question. Alice was nice, and the transition to Sandman was tough, but now I appreciate it so much- especially now that I use Sandman at one job and Viasys at the other- the guys who work with me at the Viasys lab don't know what they are missing. they have never used anything else.
sleptthewrongway

Postby ssshhh_babysleeping » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:34 pm

I have to say that Alice 5 and Morpheus Administrator work really well for inter-office communication and such. If you are going to have different locations, people working remotely, etc. than this is they way to go. Otherwise it may not be worth the trouble. It is extensive but so well organized and very high functioning for that kind of situation. Good luck with whatever decision you make!
ssshhh_babysleeping

Postby linuxgeek » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:36 am

REM-KEEPER wrote:The only complaint I have is having to scale the channels every 30 seconds, but other than that it works great!

You know that you can have it auto-scale when you page?

I don't like auto-scaling tho, as I'd rather choose when to scale it.
linuxgeek

Postby REM-KEEPER » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:19 am

I'm sure there are lots of things that I could do with this system, if it wasnt set up by a tech with less than 1 year exp that didnt know what he was doing and if it had EVER been serviced by Sandman. The calibration isnt even right, and my fearless leaders don't even care. Did I mention I have to reset ALL of the filters and then get complaints that my readings weren't good, b/c my fearless leaders don't even know what the filters are supposed to be and don't set them when they score, but I could complain about these problems for probably ten pages, luckily I know what I am doing, I can't imagine what its like for the techs here that don't!

Could you explain how I can get it to auto scale though, and also give some input as to why you don't like this option?
REM-KEEPER

Postby Neil » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:40 pm

REM-KEEPER, simply go to help (F1 in any of the Sandman programs) and type in "Channel Properties" and choose "Analog Display" and then "Scaling". You will get all the info you could need on scaling channels and auto scaling.

Personally, I agree with linuxgeek about auto scaling airflow or effort channels. In a 30 second epoch you could end up scaling out possible RERA or other airflow abnormalities.

However, I'm also surprised when you claim that you need to constantly scale. If your airflows or efforts are constantly climbing out of range then you may have your sampling frequencies or gains set to high in your montage.

Neil
Neil

Postby somnonaut » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:19 pm

Neil,
"In a 30 second epoch you could end up scaling out possible RERA or other airflow abnormalities."

This should be an epiphany for many, irregardless of using your Sandman product or other. "tweking" your signal has ramifications.
somnonaut

Next

Return to Which "In lab" system is for me?