equipement purchase

A forum for the comparison of PSG systems used for attended sleep studies in a sleep center.

Moderators: TexasSleepguy, labman2

equipement purchase

Postby lorilpn » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:28 pm

We are currently a 2 bed lab working with Remlogic's S7000, we are going to 4 beds and need 2 purchase new equipement. What do you guys use and would you give it a stamp of approval? My boss talked with the reps from Cadwell and Alice and a few others at a conference and most want to price match the other. I said we should ask the tech on Bianry for input as they are the ones working with the systems prior to buying.
lorilpn

hi

Postby labman2 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:41 pm

check your pm's

Labman2
labman2

Postby bduce » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:29 pm

lorilpn
Are you very unhappy with the REMlogic system? (Note: I do not use REMlogic so no conflict of interest or vested interest) In terms of managing your lab I would try to stick with the same thing unless I am unhappy with the brand of equipment.
- With two systems it means you have to spend twice as much time training people up for PSG in the lab.
- You have a greater potential for mistakes etc (as staff do on one system what they do on the other etc)
- You will have decreased portability of studies within your network ie some studies can only be scored on certain computers etc
- You will spend more time with potential bugs, fixes etc because you will need to troubleshoot with different systems (unless the new system is perfect)
- You will have to spend extra time with creating new reports, montages in a new system
- You may get some staff dissatisfaction for a while there as staff do not like change and like to work on autopilot (so to speak - you know, the "Oh I can't do that on this system, must remember, must remember...)

You will have to add it all up and see if it is worth the hassle. If it is only slightly better, maybe not such a good idea. If it is slightly cheaper, take into account of training and setup time and see if it is really cheaper. If the new system is far away better than fine, go for it.

Good luck.
bduce

Postby lorilpn » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:50 am

It comes down to cost. All of the staff are happy with the current system, but the boss wonders about saving money due to the cost of adding 2 beds. All staff members have worked with Sandman so I am not sure why she hasn't looked at that. It sounds like she really liked Cadwell, but knows an Alice rep. I have read good and bad with both. I liked Sandman. Remlogics is o.k. but our new doctors hate it.
lorilpn

Postby tiredjohnny1 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:22 am

Cost is a factor but you can't just look at it as an expense. The new beds/computers will bring extra revenue to more than cover the expense. I agree its better to stick with what you have unless you are dissatisfied. But you must consider the doctors-unhappy doctors are not good for a sleep lab.
tiredjohnny1

Return to Which "In lab" system is for me?