NY finally has a Polysomnography "authorization" .

Seminars, classes, congratulations, birthdays, or other “news release” type or postings.

Moderator: labman2

Postby Vix » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:11 pm

http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/polysom/polysomfaq.htm

1.By what date must currently practicing Polysomnographic Technologists obtain the appropriate authorization to practice?
Polysomnographic technology cannot be performed by anyone who is not authorized after February 3, 2014. Therefore, individuals must obtain their authorization prior to this date in order to continue to provide polysomnographic technology services or use the title “Authorized Polysomnographic Technologist”. [See also question 11].

2.Is authorization the same as a license?
Generally, yes. Polysomnographic Technologists are the 49th profession licensed by the NY State Education Department. Authorized polysomnographic technologists are subject to the full disciplinary and regulatory authority of the Board of Regents and the Department. The State Board for Respiratory Therapy is responsible for oversight.

3.Must an RT/RTT seek authorization as a PSGT if they wish to perform polysomnographic technology services?
No. Polysomnographic technology is within the current scope of practice for Respiratory Therapists and Respiratory Therapy Assistants. They do not need authorization to perform polysomnographic technology. However, they must be competent to offer these services.

4.What credentialing exam is acceptable for authorization?
The Department has determined that the RPSGT exam offered by the Board of Registered Polysomnographic Technologists (BRPT) is acceptable for authorization.

5.Must all applicants, regardless of the pathway chosen for authorization, pay the $600 fee?
Yes, the $600 fee is set in statute and covers the license and the first three-year registration cycle. Thereafter, the triennial re-registration fee is $300.

Grandparenting Provisions:6.What are the “special grandparenting provisions”?
Until February 3, 2014, you can apply to be authorized to practice polysomnographic technology without satisfying the education and exam requirements if you are:

a.at least 18 years of age;
b.of good moral character;
c.able to document that you have appropriate qualifying experience.

7.What appropriate qualifying experience must an applicant have in order to qualify for the special grandparenting provisions?
You must be able to document that you:

a.hold the RPSGT certification and have practiced polysomnographic technology under the direction and supervision of a licensed physician for at least 21 clinical hours/week for not less than 18 months in the previous 3 years; or
b.have practiced polysomnographic technology under the direction and supervision of a licensed physician for at least 21 clinical hours/ week for not less than 3 years within the previous 5 years.

8.How do I apply under the special grandparenting provisions?
You must complete and submit Form 1 and Form 4 with the required $600 fee to the Office of the Professions. Complete Section 1 of Form 4A and give the entire form to your supervisor(s) to complete. The supervisor(s) must submit Form 4A directly to the Office of the Professions – we cannot accept this form from the applicant. If you are licensed in another jurisdiction, you must also complete section 1 of Form 3 and send it to that licensing jurisdiction for completion. The licensing jurisdiction must submit the form directly to the Office of the Professions – we cannot accept this form from the applicant.

9.Under the special grandparenting provision, can the experience as a sleep technologist be completed just prior to the February, 2014 deadline? Likewise, can the national certification be obtained just prior to the February, 2014 deadline?
Experience is acceptable as long as it meets the criteria outlined in regulation and is completed prior to the deadline. The national RPSGT certification can be obtained any time prior to application for those seeking licensure through the grandparenting route that requires 18 months of experience and the national credential.

10.The regulations indicate that grandparenting provisions will continue if there are not four licensure-qualifying educational programs in place on February 3, 2014. What does that mean?
Grandparenting provisions are scheduled to expire February 3, 2014. However, in order to ensure that there is a sufficient workforce available, the regulations specify that the grandparenting provisions may continue for applicants who hold the RPSGT certification and have practiced 18 months in the previous 3 years until such time as 4 licensure qualifying programs are in place. At present, four programs are developing licensure-qualifying programs.

11.If I begin work now in a sleep lab, will I be able to obtain my authorization under the grandparenting provisions?
Anyone who began work after August 3, 2012 is unlikely to meet the criteria for grandparenting, which requires a minimum of 18 months of experience. If the grandparenting provisions are extended past February 3, 2014, because there are not yet four licensure-qualifying programs registered by the Department, it is possible that some individuals hired after the August 3, 2012 date would be able to accrue sufficient experience for authorization, but there is no guarantee that the date will be extended. As such, employees and employers are cautioned that such employees are at risk and will not be able to provide these services after the expiration of the grandparenting period without authorization.

Last Updated: October 9, 2012
Vix

thanks!

Postby labman2 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:10 am

Thanks for posting this Vix!
labman2

Postby brutus88 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:34 am

I was offered a job in NY but apparently I cannot accept it as my poly program (although BRPT approved and accredited) is not a degree granting program. I am a RPSGT which they do accept. Does anyone know if this is concrete or not or if NY will accept this education?
brutus88

Postby labman2 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:10 pm

brutus88 wrote:I was offered a job in NY but apparently I cannot accept it as my poly program (although BRPT approved and accredited) is not a degree granting program. I am a RPSGT which they do accept. Does anyone know if this is concrete or not or if NY will accept this education?

Not sure what you mean.... Can you explain more? Perhaps the company you were offered a job from will not accept this program? But... I do nto think that should bar you from employement elsewhere in NY if you are an RPSGT.

If you want to PM me instead with your phone number, I can call you to discuss...

Labman2
labman2

Postby somnonaut » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:04 pm

brutus88,

Don't forget
"If you are licensed in another jurisdiction, you must also complete section 1 of Form 3 and send it to that licensing jurisdiction for completion. The licensing jurisdiction must submit the form directly to the Office of the Professions – we cannot accept this form from the applicant. "
So there may be reciprocity. I would call and ask specifically about requiring the other the 18 month attestation while also providing proof of license in another state. Why would they require both? Get names of people you talk to.
somnonaut

comp

Postby stars » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:47 pm

hey Claude do you remember how use Nuxus
stars

NY LICENSES BEING MAILED!

Postby labman2 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:24 pm

So the NY techs are starting to get their NY Licenses in the mail. I know who number 6 and number 8 is but I am wondering who had the honor of getting License number 1 in NY?

Cant be me as I just submitted the documentation last week..

Anybody have a lower number than 6 or know who has number 1?

Curious ....

Labman2
labman2

NY Per Diem License Trouble?

Postby labman2 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:10 pm

As I read this NYS Poly law, it appears whether you are RPSGT or not, if you dont work 21 hours a week, you are in trouble for getting licensed in NY come February 2014.

This means a lot of per diems who work 1 night a week or so are not eligible to continue employement after this date if 4 programs are available by then?

§79-4.16 Special provisions for authorization for polysomnographic technologists.
Except as otherwise provided in subdivision (d) of this section, an individual who is at least 18 years of age shall be authorized to practice polysomnographic technology without satisfying the education, experience, and examination requirements set forth in sections 79-4.10, 79-4.11 and 79-4.12 of this Subpart; provided that no later than February 3, 2014, such individual shall meet the requirements of subdivisions (a), (b), and (c) of this section. In order to be authorized to practice polysomnographic technology pursuant to this section, the applicant shall:
a. file an application and pay the appropriate fees to the department; and
b. be of good moral character, as determined by the department; and
c.
1. be certified by a national certifying or accrediting board for polysomnographic technology acceptable to the department, and have practiced polysomnographic technology under the direction and supervision of a licensed physician at least 21 clinical hours per week for not less than 18 months in the three years immediately preceding the receipt of his or her application; or
2. have practiced polysomnographic technology under the direction and supervision of a licensed physician at least 21 clinical hours per week for not less than three years within the five years immediately preceding the receipt of his or her application.
d. If at least four licensure qualifying programs in polysomnographic technology have not been registered by the department by February 3, 2014, the applicant shall meet the requirements of subdivisions (a), (b), and (c)(1) of this section prior to the date that a total of four such programs have been registered by the department

labman2

Scorers

Postby Gaara » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:33 pm

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but...

Do you have to be NYS authorized if all you do is score? There is no patient contact, set ups, titrations, etc.
Gaara

Postby somnonaut » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:59 am

Gaara,
ALL ASPECTS of polysomnography are covered under the law. HST provisioning, giving of, educating, instructing, scoring of HST and PSG. All of it.
somnonaut

Re: NY Per Diem License Trouble?

Postby somnonaut » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:06 am

labman2 wrote:As I read this NYS Poly law, it appears whether you are RPSGT or not, if you dont work 21 hours a week, you are in trouble for getting licensed in NY come February 2014.

This means a lot of per diems who work 1 night a week or so are not eligible to continue employement after this date if 4 programs are available by then?

§79-4.16 Special provisions for authorization for polysomnographic technologists.
Except as otherwise provided in subdivision (d) of this section, an individual who is at least 18 years of age shall be authorized to practice polysomnographic technology without satisfying the education, experience, and examination requirements set forth in sections 79-4.10, 79-4.11 and 79-4.12 of this Subpart; provided that no later than February 3, 2014, such individual shall meet the requirements of subdivisions (a), (b), and (c) of this section. In order to be authorized to practice polysomnographic technology pursuant to this section, the applicant shall:
a. file an application and pay the appropriate fees to the department; and
b. be of good moral character, as determined by the department; and
c.
1. be certified by a national certifying or accrediting board for polysomnographic technology acceptable to the department, and have practiced polysomnographic technology under the direction and supervision of a licensed physician at least 21 clinical hours per week for not less than 18 months in the three years immediately preceding the receipt of his or her application; or
2. have practiced polysomnographic technology under the direction and supervision of a licensed physician at least 21 clinical hours per week for not less than three years within the five years immediately preceding the receipt of his or her application.
d. If at least four licensure qualifying programs in polysomnographic technology have not been registered by the department by February 3, 2014, the applicant shall meet the requirements of subdivisions (a), (b), and (c)(1) of this section prior to the date that a total of four such programs have been registered by the department

ACTUALLY, IF they push back the end date of Grandfathering section c.2 above will NOT be carrying over as the highlighted text states. That is in the law. Section c.2 is the one covering those who do not have credentials. Therefore, ONLY those with credentials can be grandfathered after Feb 3, 2014 if they extend the Grandfathering period.

So as the little man was trying to warn those without credentials, you better get you attestations of time on the job in order and your application along with the $600 into them by the deadline NO MATTER WHAT.
somnonaut

UPDATE!!!!!

Postby somnonaut » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:09 pm

Dear Sir,
Please excuse the delay in responding to your inquiry.
We are aware that the Feb. 3 deadline is fast approaching. Currently, there are two license qualifying polysomnographic programs in NYS, Hudson Valley Community College and Genesee Community College. A third (Kingsborough Community College) is in process, however, not yet registered by NYSED.
It is not anticipated that four license qualifying programs will be in place by February 3, 2014.
The grandfathering alternate criteria that includes experience alone (21 hours/week for at least 3 years of the 5 years preceding the receight of the authorization application will be going away on February 3.
The grandfathering alternate criteria that includes certification by BRPT (by the RPSGT examination) with experience of at least 21 hours/week for 18 months of the 3 years preceding the department's receight of the authorization application will be extended to May 3, 2014.
Updates on the website are planned.

Questions may be directed to nursebd@mail.nysed.gov, or (518) 474-5038, Ext. 120.

Regards,
Ann
NYS Boards for Nursing and Respiratory Therapy
somnonaut

Re: UPDATE!!!!!

Postby labman2 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:21 pm

somnonaut wrote:Dear Sir,
Please excuse the delay in responding to your inquiry.
We are aware that the Feb. 3 deadline is fast approaching. Currently, there are two license qualifying polysomnographic programs in NYS, Hudson Valley Community College and Genesee Community College. A third (Kingsborough Community College) is in process, however, not yet registered by NYSED.
It is not anticipated that four license qualifying programs will be in place by February 3, 2014.
The grandfathering alternate criteria that includes experience alone (21 hours/week for at least 3 years of the 5 years preceding the receight of the authorization application will be going away on February 3.
The grandfathering alternate criteria that includes certification by BRPT (by the RPSGT examination) with experience of at least 21 hours/week for 18 months of the 3 years preceding the department's receight of the authorization application will be extended to May 3, 2014.
Updates on the website are planned.

Questions may be directed to nursebd@mail.nysed.gov, or (518) 474-5038, Ext. 120.

Regards,
Ann
NYS Boards for Nursing and Respiratory Therapy

Update is now done on NY site

Applying for Authorization under the Grandparenting Provision
You can apply to be authorized to practice polysomnographic technology without satisfying the education, experience and examination requirements if you are:

•at least 18 years of age;
•able to document that you:
◦are certified by a national certifying or accrediting board for polysomnographic technology acceptable to the department and able to document that you have practiced polysomnographic technology under the direction and supervision of a licensed physician for at least twenty one clinical hours per week for not less than eighteen months in the three years immediately preceding the receipt of your application. (Expires May 3, 2014)
OR
◦have practiced polysomnographic technology under the direction and supervision of a licensed physician for at least twenty one clinical hours per week for not less than three years within the five years immediately preceding the receipt of your application. (Expires February 3, 2014)
Extension of the Grandparenting Provision
For a limited time period, special provisions of New York State regulations permit applicants to qualify for polysomnographic technology authorization by meeting alternative criteria in lieu of the educational, examination and experience requirements set forth in regulation. The regulations authorize the use of specified alternative criteria until February 3, 2014 or until the State Education Department registers four license qualifying education programs in polysomnographic technology.

Because it appears unlikely that the State Education Department will register four such education programs by February 3, 2014, the Department has determined that the alternative criteria described below will be in effect for individuals who apply for a polysomnographic technology authorization until May 3, 2014.
labman2

Re: NY finally has a Polysomnography "authorization" .

Postby Somnologist » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:15 pm

Hi Everyone!

I spoke to Ann at the Respiratory Board and she said that the deadline will be extended again till November 3. She said it should be updated on the website by about Tuesday.
Somnologist

Previous

Return to Announcements