Portland BRPT Conference 9/14

Seminars, classes, congratulations, birthdays, or other “news release” type or postings.

Moderator: labman2

Portland BRPT Conference 9/14

Postby goudasleep » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:48 am

Maybe this is another thread. Who went to Portland? What did you think?
goudasleep

Re: Portland BRPT Conference 9/14

Postby sleepadmin » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:27 pm

I wasn't impressed. I really tried to embrace this new credential, but I have yet to understand it's usefulness in an average sleep lab.

We were presented with vague case studies and asked for a diagnoses and treatment plan. The background lacked any substantive information about the patient, with even the presenter admitting "no one right answer." Were they implying the sleep educator will diagnose and recommend treatment plans?

Most of the other speakers told us the sleep educator will be an advocate for sleep, do public speaking, conduct AWAKE groups, etc. I'm sure some will embrace this, but I work nights because I like treating patients, and do not like speaking to volumes of people. I do not think a credential is needed to perform public speaking.

Another function of the sleep educator apparently will be to act as a case manager and/or social support system for the patient. Again, If I wanted to do that, I would pursue a social work degree.

I might have missed the message. I might not understand their vision for the sleep educator. I am only expressing my opinion based on this one conference. As a sleep tech and small business owner, none of these functions will likely be utilized in a typical 4-6 bed lab... Because none are billable services. This role is better suited for larger (non-profit) institutions, and for people who already gravitate toward public speaking and advocacy.
sleepadmin
Admin

Postby somnus diabolus » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:03 am

I asked if there was a billable code for the CCSH. I was told by the president that at this time, there was no billable code. Asked if they were working on one. She said that wasn't their job. Sooooo, basically useless as far as reimbursement right now. Hopefully that will change, as I feel like I wasted my $$
somnus diabolus

Postby somnus diabolus » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:04 am

Was told "No" for billable code.
somnus diabolus

Return to Announcements