2012 AAST DIRECTOR AT LARGE ELECTIONS

American Association of Sleep Technologists
American Association for Respiratory Care
American Society of Electroneurodiagnostic Technologists

Moderators: SCNVsleep, labman2

Postby fanofcart » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:48 pm

labman2 wrote:
fanofcart wrote:
respbarb wrote:I voted for Brendan and Lia. Come on, folks for new blood!

Well anyone running for the Board that has not already been on the Board would have to be considered new blood.
I would urge everyone to read each candidate's statements and vote according to that. There seem to be several qualified candidates running. Each voter has to consider the merits, which may or may not include whether candidates post on a fine internet forum like binarysleep. In other words, don't disqualify a good candidate merely because he/she doesn't post on here; look at the whole picture.

Fan

They may be qualified, but I sure wish they WERE out here along with myself and LIA so I (and others) could get a feel for how they think and react to discussions. That is the problem... I do not hear or see them to really know much about them.

At least with being on these forums. folks have a sense as to who we are and that we care about what is happening EVEN WITHOUT an elected office position. Now, by being here, folks may decide they dont care for my views, and I lose votes also.... so... being out here, being myslef, speaking my nind does not always translate into additional votes, it may cost me some... but at least folks know I am available and have a "sense" of the person.

I am pretty active in the sleep world, and besides what I saw on the resume bio page for several of the other candidates, I really dont know too much about many of them at all. ie... whta type of folks they are.. besides the bio

I would LOVE for them to join us in some of the discussions to give a sense as to how the think about things going on...

I don't disagree with you Brendan. That' why I wrote:

There seem to be several qualified candidates running. Each voter has to consider the merits, which may or may not include whether candidates post on a fine internet forum like binarysleep. In other words, don't disqualify a good candidate merely because he/she doesn't post on here; look at the whole picture.

My purpose for writing that was that I thought the voters should consider everything and would hopefully give each candidate the courtesy of reading their information on the AAST website and thereby doing due diligence.
fanofcart

Postby tiredjohnny1 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:05 pm

fanofcart wrote:In other words, don't disqualify a good candidate merely because he/she doesn't post on here; look at the whole picture.

My purpose for writing that was that I thought the voters should consider everything and would hopefully give each candidate the courtesy of reading their information on the AAST website and thereby doing due diligence.

Yes the person's character as a whole should be considered and all the bios should be read. However, I believe it speaks volumes that those asking us to elect them as leaders in the field would not participate in a forum that is free, provides direct communication to thousands of fellow sleep techs (the ones they are claiming they want to lead) in one virtual location, and allows for immediate communication. And after reading the bios, Jeff, Brendan, and Lia are the ones who said they wanted real change. President-elect to be Rita Brooks appears by her own statements and her past actions that she is just another AASM disciple....more of the same.
tiredjohnny1

And finally

Postby labman2 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:33 am

By now, all the bio's should have been read and hopefully all AAST members have cast their votes. If you have not voted yet, you only have a few more days. No matter whom you decide is the right choice, please cast your vote and be part of the solution. Thanks

Brendan
labman2

Postby polysomprincess » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:08 pm

HERE YEA, HERE YEA! LAST DAY FOR ELECTIONS FOR AAST.....
polysomprincess

Voting is over-Lets see all the votes!

Postby labman2 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:01 pm

Now that the bio's have been read, decisions have been made, the votes have been cast, and are being tabulated....

I hope that the AAST will make this vote count a very transparent and open process.

I would like to see the vote totals for all candidates INCLUDING EVERY WRITE IN CANDIDATE either publically published... or made available to any member that requests this via an email...

It is only fair to a dues paying membership that they not only vote... but that they get to see how their fellow AAST associates voted, and that ALL votes are accounted for!

Good luck to all the candidates!

And Congrats to the winners! Hopefully they agree that the vote totals should be made available to the AAST voters.
labman2

Postby polysomprincess » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:14 pm

Good Luck Labman!
polysomprincess

No AAST FOR ME!

Postby labman2 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:54 pm

I was informed this morning that I was not able to secure enough votes to win a Board seat with the AAST. I thank those that did support me in my attempt to gain office with these folks. I wish success to the selected candidates.

Let us hope that those candidates will remember that they represent the tech society membership , not the AASM . Let us hope that they will be vocal when deadlines are switched (such as ASTEP) are changed with little notice and cause financial and professional stress for the techs they represent. Let us hope they find their tongues and speak on our behalf in a timely manner!

Thanks again folks!!

Brendan
labman2

Postby somnonaut » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:54 pm

So will they be posting all the results or just telling us that X, Y and Z won.
somnonaut

Postby labman2 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:15 pm

somnonaut wrote:So will they be posting all the results or just telling us that X, Y and Z won.

I made that recommendation to them. I believe that dues paying members deserve to know where EVERY vote went, including any write in candidates. That is how open voting works (or should work!)
labman2

Postby Vix » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:38 pm

Wow. Bummer. Props to you guys for running though, and if you do so again in the future, I will vote for you again!

2012 Board of Directors Election Results

In March all AAST members had the opportunity to participate in the 2012 Board of Directors election by reviewing candidate profiles and voting for the offices of President Elect, Treasurer and Director-at-Large. I thank all of the members who cast a vote in the election, and I am honored to share with you the results:

President Elect

Rita Brooks, MEd, REEG/EPT, RPSGT, RST

94.4% of the vote

Write-in candidates received 5.6 percent of the vote.

Treasurer

Cynthia Mattice, MS, RPSGT, RST

58.2% of the vote

No other candidate received more than 25 percent of the vote. Write-in candidates received less than 1 percent of the vote.

Director-at-Large

David Wolfe, MSEd, RPSGT, RRT-SDS, RST

25.0% of the vote

Will Eckhardt, BS, RPSGT, CRT, RST

22.3% of the vote

No other candidate received more than 15 percent of the vote. Write-in candidates received less than 1 percent of the vote.

On behalf of the AAST Board of Directors, I thank all of the candidates for responding to the AAST's call for nominations. I also congratulate Rita, Cynthia, Will and David. We look forward to the leadership and contributions they will provide to the association and the sleep technology profession.

The newly elected officers and directors will be installed to office during the General Membership Meeting, which will take place Monday, June 11, 2012, at the AAST 34th Annual Meeting in Boston. All members are invited and encouraged to attend this important gathering. I hope you will register for the annual meeting today and make plans to join us in Boston!

Respectfully,

Melinda Trimble, RST, RPSGT, LRCP

AAST President
Vix

Postby polysomprincess » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:49 pm

AWESOME JOB BREN!... was a pleasure to run with you!....
polysomprincess

My take

Postby labman2 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:50 pm

Congrats to the winner.

As a dues paying member, I believe we are entitled to know how many total votes were cast. How many were disqualified (if any) and the raw totals for EACH AND EVERY CANDIDATE! (including write-ins)

Why is that not provided?

I intend to send an email to Ms. Trimble asking for the details and if I recieve them I will share it with you as there is not reason not to post it. If you run for office, you should expect this information to be public.

Good luck to the Board members that were elected! :wink:
labman2

Open Letter to Melinda Trimble

Postby labman2 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:59 pm

email sent today to AAST

Dear Ms. Trimble:

I received the AAST message about the recent election results. It has arbitrarily cut off results based on percentage of the votes.

I would like to know the complete election results for EACH AND EVERY CANDIDATE INCLUDING THE WRITE INS. I would like to know by what process and by whom were the votes tallied.

As a dues paying member, I feel I am entitled to know who my fellow AAST members voted for and become familiar with some of the write in candidates that my counterparts felt deserved to be nominated. I also would like to know the total number of votes and if any were disqualified (and on what basis)

Please supply the above information via email or in writing in the name of fair elections. This should be standard reporting of election results.

Thanks- And best wishes to my elected officials!

Brendan Duffy
AAST Nominee
labman2

Postby somnonaut » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:37 pm

There is a history of being labelled "loose cannon" in the sleep field. Ask Mike Adams, if he is still with us. Have not heard from him in years. Anyone in NC know if he still practices or is even on this earth still?
somnonaut

Postby labman2 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:50 pm

somnonaut wrote:There is a history of being labelled "loose cannon" in the sleep field. Ask Mike Adams, if he is still with us. Have not heard from him in years. Anyone in NC know if he still practices or is even on this earth still?

Why would it be a loose cannon to ask about the process that is involved and the results of the election be published?

I am just requesting what is normally done in elections... people run, people vote, results are published... winners are sworn in... and life goes on...
labman2

PreviousNext

Return to AAST/AARC/ASET