AAST Use of the RST Credential

American Association of Sleep Technologists
American Association for Respiratory Care
American Society of Electroneurodiagnostic Technologists

Moderators: labman2, SCNVsleep

AAST Use of the RST Credential

Postby tiredjohnny1 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:02 am

If the AAST promotes 'all pathways to credentialing,' then why does the RST credential precede the RPSGT credential in all written publications, even after a person's name?

And why was the Board of Directors issued the first RST credentials (Kistner #1, Trimble #2)? Was that fair to the members? IRS laws require that members of non-profit boards do not use their position to inure any benefits to themselves. Doesn't having the status of being the first holder of a new credential add value to your resume? By the way, I submitted my application within two hours of the initial application being posted on the website, but the application was 'lost' for a month. Finally I was issued a certificate in the 400s.

Thank you Marietta Bibbs, Elise Maher, and Stephen Tarnoczy who are all members of the board but have refused to use their position to acquire RST credentials. They also are committed to upholding the value of the RPSGT credential. Unfortunately for AAST members, all are too smart to attempt to run for President-Elect. They know its a losing cause. I wish Brendan and Lia the best in the election, but I do not envy the frustration they will soon have if they win.
tiredjohnny1

Good points

Postby labman2 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:57 am

You raise several good points. I am hoping to get a chance to see firsthand what goes on with the AAST. I , as you know, am not shy about letting my feelings be known. Hopefully, we can work together to make the AAST a better professional organization.

I made a commitment to try and "work from within" the system when others were looking to start up a competing entity. I will honor that commitment if elected. And I will be available to discuss whatever I can with the sleep techs that want nothing more than a strong, useful, and straight shooting professional organization.

Frustration? I am a Met's fan so they cant match what I have been facing for the past years!

:lol:
labman2

Postby Jayhawkhenry » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:24 pm

The board members who got the RST supported and worked on it. The AASM/ABSM gave it to them first. Since the AASM manages the AAST and wants to push the RST, the folks in the office put the RST before RPSGT to get it noticed so you would want to rush out and pay $25 and support that credential as well.

To date, only 19 people have taken the test and 16 passed. So only 16 have earned this new credential.

I did not spend money on it, because I do not feel it is the equivalent to the RPSGT. The same reason I didn't spend money on the RT-SDS. I am an RPSGT and I don't need anything else.
Jayhawkhenry

Postby somnonaut » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:10 pm

Like my personal home TV service and phone and cars, competition is supposed to be a good thing.
After the BRPT asked me to sit on the round table about what should be next for the credential back in 2000's, I saw no movement except for dumbing down the entry level of the field through the CPGST. I feel the BRPT has not grown the RPSGT at all, and the RST is a viable alternative for future structured growth. If the ABSM does not provide this, then I will once again look elsewhere (ASET, other) for field growth.
I did the same with the lab I ran and wholesale adoption of the early remote controlled PAP devices, when Respironics had the Symphony and Maestro units. I set the lab up for that. But as Respironics sat on their laurels and did not push the field, I opted to switch to Resmed (at the time was new contender) who I felt did push the field.
Status quo is not what I am looking for.
I feel the BRPT has not grown the RPSGT at all, and the RST is a viable alternative for future structured growth.
Heck, I asked them to make such a new credential back in 2007.
http://www.binarysleep.com/phpbb2/viewt ... 0&start=18
somnonaut

Postby tiredjohnny1 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:56 pm

Once NCCA accredited, the RST will likely have the same legal recognition as the RPSGT. The only real difference is that the RPSGT is based on a survey of techs regarding their job tasks and is issued by a board of mostly fellow technologists. The RST is issued by a physicians group who has publicly stated that one of the primary objectives for this credential is so that physicians as employers no longer follow the lead of a technologist group.

I recently listened to one of the techs who was involved in the creation of the RST exam discuss her reasoning for the need for the RST. She stated that it was primarily due to the low pass rate pointing to evidence of a poor exam. ABRET recently investigated their exams because of similar low pass rates and they discovered that people who learn on the job do much worse than those in structured educational programs. They also discovered that those with college degrees unrelated to the field do better on the exams. Their conclusion was not to invent a new credential or that their exam was bad. They decided that more education was needed and are in the process of authorizing more collegiate-level hospital and lab based education programs as long as they adhere to certain requirements and become approved as a formal program. This will eventually close the door on OJT, unless it is obtained through a formally approved program.

When the focus is on the techs and what is for the betterment of the field, then much can be accomplished. If your primary goal is to establish your influence over your employees and the industry at large (AASM) or keep control of your influence at whatever cost (BRPT), then in the end techs and patients lose. At least when cable companies compete, the improved service and reduced price can benefit you. When the AASM and the BRPT compete, the AAST remains quiet as a mouse or joins with the AASM, and we all lose. Which of these groups has demanded more education-formal college level programs- like ABRET?
tiredjohnny1

One day

Postby labman2 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:38 am

One day i am gonna get tiredjohnny to consider running for the AAST BOARD!

I learn so much from his posts!

Thanks TJ1!
labman2

Re: One day

Postby tiredjohnny1 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:43 am

labman2 wrote:One day i am gonna get tiredjohnny to consider running for the AAST BOARD!

I learn so much from his posts!

Thanks TJ1!

Thanks Labman but lets get you and Lia on the board first.
tiredjohnny1

Postby polysomprincess » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:08 pm

Its pretty obvious from the number of folks who have "ACTUALLY" taken the RST exam that if they did not provide the grandfathering that this may have fallen by the wayside....just my opinion
polysomprincess

Postby labman2 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:20 pm

polysomprincess wrote:Its pretty obvious from the number of folks who have "ACTUALLY" taken the RST exam that if they did not provide the grandfathering that this may have fallen by the wayside....just my opinion

But it is still only offered in one location- correct? Kind of expenive between test costs and airfare right now as it is set up at this time.

If there was local testing, their may be more takers. I am curious to find out why someone who took the actual test did so.... I would pursue the RPSGT first... but maybe they are already RPSGT's that just wanted to see what the test was like.

Any way to see how many of these folks are already RPSGT prior to sitting for this test?

Labman2
labman2

Postby polysomprincess » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:29 pm

I'm pretty sure that the location/s is limited... lets face it the cost of travel etc makes it a pain to take... I would opt for RPSGT first too...
polysomprincess

Credential ordering?

Postby Joshibee » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:06 am

If the AAST promotes 'all pathways to credentialing,' then why does the RST credential precede the RPSGT credential in all written publications, even after a person's name?

I am actually curious about this. Is there a "proper" order for listing these? On the AAST website, the directors list themselves with "RPSGT, RST". However in the latest A2ZZZ magazine I've looked at, they were all "RST, RPSGT". Which does the industry prefer (or you personally)?

I'm ordering a coat real soon, so it would be helpful to know. :lol:
Joshibee

Postby Sleepy in the South » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:44 am

I have the RST credential but i do not bother to put those letters after my name because I feel it is a made up credential and I did not really "earn" it. Put down $25 and there you go.....I just use the RPSGT letters only.

RST supposed to be a superior credential but RPSGT + $25 = RST. It's a joke credential.
Sleepy in the South

Postby polysomprincess » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:34 pm

I think its human nature that if we have to work hard for something we place a greater value on it.... makes sense.... no?!?
polysomprincess

Postby Joshibee » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:38 am

Whether the requirements are high or low, whether one is superior or inferior, I aim to display every credential I've earned and currently hold. To those unaware of the ins and outs of the sleep profession in general, two credentials sounds more impressive than one anyway. Maybe I'll start a new poll with this question.
Joshibee

Postby Mairi2 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:27 pm

I display mine chronologically - R. EEG T., RPSGT, RST
Mairi2

Next

Return to AAST/AARC/ASET