RPSGT, RST or RST, RPSGT?

American Association of Sleep Technologists
American Association for Respiratory Care
American Society of Electroneurodiagnostic Technologists

Moderators: SCNVsleep, labman2

What is the proper way to display dual sleep credentials after your name?

RST, RPSGT
8%
RPSGT, RST
92%

Total votes : 49

RPSGT, RST or RST, RPSGT?

Postby Joshibee » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:42 am

Looking for your opinion.
Joshibee

Postby Rocklandish » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:51 am

:shock: :shock:
Rocklandish

Postby respbarb » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:30 am

I place my crendentials in the order that I recieved them. I know that people place them in order of importance, say putting MD before PHD for example even if they earned the PHD first, but for me, since I'm not a MD it doesnt matter :D
respbarb

Postby tcr104 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:51 pm

cre·den·tial  [kri-den-shuhl] - anything that provides the basis for confidence, belief, credit, etc.

Unless you actually took the exam, displaying the RST only provides the basis for confidence, belief, credit, etc., that I am:

1. $25 poorer
2. also an RPSGT, making it therefore a redundant display.

My plan right now is not to display the RST unless the day comes where I actually sit for and earn it.

But thats, like, my opinion, man.
tcr104

Postby somnonaut » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:52 pm

So, the day that your state gets legislation for a license, and the RPSGT is among the credentials that allows you to get the license for only a fee, you will not display that either I guess.
somnonaut

Postby tcr104 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:01 pm

I am presently licensed. I obtained that license by being an RPSGT. Local law states that I cannot call myself a "Polysomnographic Technologist", or an "RPSGT" without holding the RPSGT credential, so when my signature says "RPSGT," my licensure is implied in the locality where the license was issued.

So no, I do not redundantly display my license implicitly in my signature. Nor do RNs, MD's etc. in the locality.
tcr104

Postby somnonaut » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:38 pm

So how does your license allow those with other sleep credentials to get licensed? SDS, RST?
somnonaut

Postby tcr104 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:06 pm

somnonaut wrote:So how does your license allow those with other sleep credentials to get licensed? SDS, RST?

The short answer: it doesn't.

The licensure language was written before RST existed, so it does not qualify one for a license. The Board of Medicine (who also oversees our licensure) would have to decide to act to recognize it as an approved credential in order for it to be an acceptable pathway to licensure. SDS is not recognized either. It was introduced the year our first licensure bill was written, and was not acknowledged in the language.
tcr104

Postby somnonaut » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:37 pm

So the citizens of your state are not well suited by the legislation. Is there a push to get them recognized? Which state may I ask?
somnonaut

Postby respbarb » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:06 pm

Is that Idaho?
respbarb

Postby respbarb » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:07 pm

Nope, its Indiana, right?
respbarb

Postby MrBig » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:28 pm

tcr104 wrote:
somnonaut wrote:So how does your license allow those with other sleep credentials to get licensed? SDS, RST?

The short answer: it doesn't.

The licensure language was written before RST existed, so it does not qualify one for a license. The Board of Medicine (who also oversees our licensure) would have to decide to act to recognize it as an approved credential in order for it to be an acceptable pathway to licensure. SDS is not recognized either. It was introduced the year our first licensure bill was written, and was not acknowledged in the language.

This is basically what happened in CA recently. Although, I believe the CA Sleep Society is working on getting the RST added eventually. SDS isn't recognized, but if you're a licensed RCP in CA, that's all you need anyhow, as MDs/PAs/NPs/RNs/RTs are exempt from the sleep tech law.
MrBig

Postby tcr104 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:36 pm

I'm in DC. The license allows for "other nationally recognized examination, as approved by the Board," but as of yet, they (the board) have not approved any. Perhaps if an RST will show up at a public comment period, board meeting, etc., and exercise their citizenship, and inform the Board that the legislation does not suit them, as you say, then this would happen. To date, no such citizen "unsuited by the legislation" has shown up to say so, but when it happens, they may very well approve it. Are you aware of any state licensure legislation that to date, implicitly names the RST as acceptable? I'm not. General language such as "other nationally approved examination approved by the board" is as close as I've seen. We know ABSM is prusuing NCCA accreditation, and then they'll likely start showing up in legislative language from state to state.

So, please, I am interested to hear you, or whoever, make their case for displaying the RPSGT, RST, if you never took the exam. I am open-minded, and all ears.
tcr104

Postby tcr104 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:38 pm

My point is not that it is right or wrong to display both, but rather, it is redundant, as it was not earned by demonstrating a skillset.
tcr104

Postby Rocklandish » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:17 pm

Is the RST even an official cert yet?
Rocklandish

Next

Return to AAST/AARC/ASET