RPSGT, RST or RST, RPSGT?

American Association of Sleep Technologists
American Association for Respiratory Care
American Society of Electroneurodiagnostic Technologists

Moderators: SCNVsleep, labman2

What is the proper way to display dual sleep credentials after your name?

RST, RPSGT
8%
RPSGT, RST
92%

Total votes : 49

Postby somnonaut » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:15 pm

tcr104 wrote:I'm in DC. The license allows for "other nationally recognized examination, as approved by the Board," but as of yet, they (the board) have not approved any. Perhaps if an RST will show up at a public comment period, board meeting, etc., and exercise their citizenship, and inform the Board that the legislation does not suit them, as you say, then this would happen. To date, no such citizen "unsuited by the legislation" has shown up to say so, but when it happens, they may very well approve it. Are you aware of any state licensure legislation that to date, implicitly names the RST as acceptable? I'm not. General language such as "other nationally approved examination approved by the board" is as close as I've seen. We know ABSM is prusuing NCCA accreditation, and then they'll likely start showing up in legislative language from state to state.

So, please, I am interested to hear you, or whoever, make their case for displaying the RPSGT, RST, if you never took the exam. I am open-minded, and all ears.

Correct, the best wording for legislation is that which affords the most lattitude to the board overseeing the license, not one that stipulates in its language which organization or credential is recognized. NJ ran into this as it took so long for them to pass their legislation, that the APT changed its name to AAST in the interim, and yet they mentioned APT by name in the legislation. They also use the RPSGT exclusively, which might come back to haunt them also.

I have both, and I see it as being able to branch off in either direction when and if they start to differentiate themselves with changes to their basic educational makeup. If one becomes more of an education tech, then I am prepared to take that road.
somnonaut

Postby Jayhawkhenry » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:12 pm

Rocklandish wrote:Is the RST even an official cert yet?

No, it is only reconizied by the AASM/ABSM and of course AAST. To date, only 16 people have earned it by passing the exam. There is no information posted about any future exams.
Jayhawkhenry

Postby stars » Fri May 18, 2012 6:05 am

RPSGT/RST /NMSLST

New Mexico state licensed sleep technologist
stars

Postby Vix » Fri May 18, 2012 6:44 am

Jayhawkhenry wrote:

No, it is only reconizied by the AASM/ABSM and of course AAST. To date, only 16 people have earned it by passing the exam. There is no information posted about any future exams.

http://www.absm.org/techcertification.aspx

ABSM Sleep Technologist Registry Exam: Important Dates:

Application Deadline: July 2, 2012
Examination Date: August 11-17, 2012
Vix

Postby LadyCandy » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:33 am

What makes it official?

Are the techs who were credentialed by the BRPT before it was "official" somehow less worthy in your opinion?

tcr104 wrote: Are you aware of any state licensure legislation that to date, implicitly names the RST as acceptable? I'm not. General language such as "other nationally approved examination approved by the board" is as close as I've seen. We know ABSM is pursuing NCCA accreditation, and then they'll likely start showing up in legislative language from state to state.

So, please, I am interested to hear you, or whoever, make their case for displaying the RPSGT, RST, if you never took the exam. I am open-minded, and all ears.

Since you said please. :)

Some people may not know why they display it, lemming mentality, and others may have different reasons: I like the reason - to display an ongoing support of excellence in education and field recognition. But you know, I just like to make things sound overly fluffy and politically idealized. :)

I don't sign my charge sheets, or fill in study information with it. Did a couple times at a PRN place for kicks. I added it to my company e-mail signature recently. We're all listed, so I suppose it's not really a secret anyways.

New Jersey has their own State board of polysomnography? I'm so jealous :(

"A Registered Polysomnographic Technologist (RPSGT), Registered Sleep Technologist (RST) or Respiratory Therapist with a Sleep Disorders Specialty (SDS), holding a current and active certificate is HIGHLY desirable."
I thought this was interesting for being a government job, http://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/317887800

I know, a lot of tangents, I'm getting to it.

Coincidentally, Maryland has been the most "AASM-friendly". They received a great deal of flak from facebook kingpins accusing them of conspiracies with the AASM. And even thinking about adding direct or indirect language that might allow the RST be recognized for state licensure got this response from the BRPT:
http://www.brpt.org/default.asp?contentID=191
Coincidentally that sort of upstanding and professionally mature behavior is what spurred the APSS to deny the BRPT their exhibit contract this year.

http://mlis.state.md.us/2012rs/bills/hb/hb0827e.pdf

It doesn't say RST, but they did successfully amend away the NCAA requirement. But it still says "approved by the Board". I mean surely we trust a state medical board to properly adjudicate which national certifying examinations are eligible for state licensure, right? Wow, the BRPT got hosed on that lobbying attempt. AASM and affiliates have a crack team of lobbyists and a Political Action Committee. I didn't think the BRPT had something like that, but apparently they have a Government Relations Committee (Sorry if Mike is on these boards reading).

Ok, so if the Maryland Sleep Society is lobbying for the amendments that were put through...who is lobbying for the BRPT on a state level? Can a national organization really hop into state politics all willy nilly? I was quite certain that they can't. Maybe that's why they didn't fair so well in the uphill Maryland battle against the constituents and relevant parties within the state who are supposed to dictate and influence their own legislation. I have to say, I do not understand how or why (again, no offense) the BRPT feels it has any right to directly influence state legislation. Encourage Maryland occupants to oppose it, sure sure.

I guess I just don't get it. The BRPT is in the bill, they are recognized. As a credentialing organization I'm not quite sure how it's their concern or purpose to be dictating to state medical boards what credentialing organizations they should be recognizing. State's rights people, good grief. We cannot force every state to fall in line with a universally national concept of sleep medicine, or field necessities. State government are more than capable of serving their own constituents.

This seems transparent, pointed and catty. I'm just saying that I haven't seen a million blogs and updates defaming and attacking the BRPT, like I have seen the BRPT doing just that to the AASM/ABSM. Pause for a moment, and it doesn't take long to see which organization has gone forward from the initial fallout with exceptional class and dignity. ;)

Wow, super tangent. Sorry.

So, yeah, vague language is the best they've gotten so far.

For the record, I'm also firmly against the use of RST in state legislation until more data proves it's efficacy. Omg, I shared a personal opinion, this is like seeing a unicorn folks. But even with that opinion, I still think neither the AASM nor the BRPT have the right to be directly influencing state legislation. Set up a state sleep society if you want to push your own agenda within a state, national organizations lobbying inside state legal matters is..unseemly. [-X
LadyCandy

Postby somnonaut » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:48 am

I joined this group yesterday.
United Neurodiagnostic Professionals of America
http://unpa.pro/
$10
somnonaut

Previous

Return to AAST/AARC/ASET