American Association for Respiratory Care
American Society of Electroneurodiagnostic Technologists

Moderators: SCNVsleep, labman2

Postby RPSGT88athome » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:13 am

Richard Rosenberg is a very good guy.

RPSGT88
RPSGT88athome

Postby somnonaut » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:06 am

No one says he is not a good guy. Heck I serve with him on the ISR committee, so I personally know him. I also asked him if he was an AAST memeber and he said no, and neither was Chris.
I do see Labman2's position, and wonder how this new associate, who most likely would be the real liaison, while Rich only serves the overseeing role, will address the concerns of techs like Labman2, and others? I wonder if they recognize a diminshing membership? Is this a reality, or maybe the numbers are going up, and it is only the frustration of old timers that we are sensing? Does anyone know the membership numbers?
somnonaut

Postby Amykr » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:58 pm

Actually I do not see it that way at least it did not appear that way on the committee phone call. I believe she is truly an assistant. I see Rich as really having no clue but isn't the true leadership the board who we elect. These people are there to do paperwork and the legislative stuff.

Really we should ask why so few vote or run for office. We should communicate what we want from the association. I know Melinda want to hear from the members.
Amykr

Postby labman2 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:54 pm

stars wrote:Ok boys may yoy Labman or Somno email for her you view what we want from AAST see her response .
Or just ask her what she ant to do without sleep trainingor experience in this field
She is A NEW in this house may be she can bring new wind if you push her or just show right direction
What do you thing boys
Lab and Somno you both has big experience with AAST so why not to try
or you think this is below repaire

Stars

I will leave that for the more idealistic younger techs that have not been jaded by repeated shenanigans and games form the AAST.

I had some ideas to improve it when I ran for director but apparently the majority went with the usual suspects. Therefore, let them figure out how to improve.. not gonna give them ideas and have them take credit again for my work as they did when the reviewers received their promised texts through our efforts out here and on PASTA by exposing the broken promises. After WE straightened that out, the AAST took credit via an email to the reviewers announcing that they would now be receiving the textbooks ( as if THEY had stood up for their members!)

If you need verification, ask the reviewers how they were treated when they inquired about the promised copies... and ask them how it got resolved ....

I believe I can do more good outside the AAST to stand up for techs and be able to speak as I feel, not as I am told to feel!

Thanks

Hopefully, things will improve...till then... I will vote non confidence by witholding my $125 membership.

Labman2
labman2

Postby somnus diabolus » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:01 am

stars wrote:
somnus diabolus wrote:
stars wrote:And now little more
ntroducing New Assistant AAST Coordinator Katelyn Fullerton
American Association of Sleep Technologists
10/17/2012
I’m Katelyn Fullerton, and I recently joined the team as Assistant AAST Coordinator, supporting Dr. Richard Rosenberg. I’m a new transplant to the Windy City, moving most recently from Los Angeles, California.

A native of Northern Virginia, I earned my Bachelors Degree in Psychology from James Madison University focusing in Industrial Organizational and Counseling Psychology. Following graduation in 2010, I moved to the hidden gem of the south – Charleston, S.C. I continued the path paved by a previous internship working for a top Department of Defense contracting company and then broadened my experiences doing grant work for a national non-profit organization providing resources to families affected by autism. Now that the inhabitation of a cross-country figure eight is out of my system, I’m excited to be settled in Illinois and committed to this growing organization.

Although not directly involved in a history of studying sleep, I do greatly enjoy the pastime, so I’m confident we’ll all get along just fine. I am here to answer your questions, assist you in the membership process, handle committee and Board coordination, and serve as your AAST resource. I can always be reached at kfullerton@aastweb.org or by phone at 630-737-9704. Send me an email – I get excited when there is something in my inbox!
So that means we're qualified to do work in the Psychology field for the DOD, right?

Well Somnus as she say she excited to receive email from you ! So why not adress this ? to her :roll:
lol, I wouldn't want to find a Drone flying over my home the next day....
somnus diabolus

Postby stars » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:02 am

First time i saw Somnus scary. Use alot humidifier create huge cloud around you :oops: and drone cant find out you :twisted: :roll:
stars

Postby labman2 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:57 pm

Amykr wrote:Actually I do not see it that way at least it did not appear that way on the committee phone call. I believe she is truly an assistant. I see Rich as really having no clue but isn't the true leadership the board who we elect. These people are there to do paperwork and the legislative stuff.

Really we should ask why so few vote or run for office. We should communicate what we want from the association. I know Melinda want to hear from the members.

They say they want to hear from you, but their actions speak louder. When you cant even get a full tally from the elections, that is not a very effective leadership. When they remain silent for days after the AASM makes moves, that is not leadership. When members basically rewrite the text and have to beg for their promised copies without any assistance from the AAST, that is not effective leadership. I could go on but ....

Labman2
labman2

Postby jzzzs » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:03 pm

interesting- I've found Melinda and Rita- and the majority of the BOD to be very accessible. I think one thing that everybody forgets is that these are volunteer positions- in other words, these folks have demanding "real" jobs too!

You know, truly sorry you lost the election- but maybe you shouldn't give up that easily...
jzzzs

Postby labman2 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:53 pm

jzzzs wrote:interesting- I've found Melinda and Rita- and the majority of the BOD to be very accessible. I think one thing that everybody forgets is that these are volunteer positions- in other words, these folks have demanding "real" jobs too!

You know, truly sorry you lost the election- but maybe you shouldn't give up that easily...

I appreciate and respect your opinion... I have been a member for several years. perhaps even longer than you... so... not giving up easy...just had enough .... if it is working for you, that's great!

Good luck.

Each person gets to decide what responsive means... I think if you were a reviewer for the textbook you may feel differently. If you were a tech when they remained silent for days as the AASM came out with a new tech exam, you may feel different. If you were a tech when the ASTEP was suddenly changed and impacted several techs with no loud statement from AASM, you may feel different.....

And yes, they are volunteers which is commendable. But, does that mean you are not allowed to question the decisions?

In any event, after December, I will not be a member so I will nto have a membership say in what they do. Till then, I am entitled to my opinion as a dues paying member.

Thanks

Brendan
labman2

Postby jzzzs » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:14 pm

-and likewise, I appreciate yours as well. Actually, I have questioned their decisions- openly and in frank discussions. They were receptive- I would hope I made some sort of impact, but I was never told- nor never felt I wasn't allowed to question them. And I don't believe anyone around is denying your right to your opinion- member or not.

btw- and fwiw, I've been around longer than you, if the registry numbers are any indication of longeity. I also worked on the book you mention and put in a lot of hours- but my satisfaction came in the reward of a line item in my CV.

I've never run for the AAST- and I commend your efforts. I just think that if you were that passionate about running the first time, then you're giving up too easily not to do it again.
jzzzs

Thanks

Postby labman2 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:00 am

. I would run if i felt confident in the process but i have lost faith in this group. I have been convinced that if they will not even display the vote totals, it is a futile effort. Maybe i am wrong, maybe i am right. But the AAST as an arm of AASM is just not effective anymore in my opinion. And btw, thanks for making me feel like a "youngin" since you have a lower registry number :D Maybe we can meet sometime at a conference and say hello and discuss this further! All the best to you! I am being sincere in my comments and feelings.

I am hoping for a new independent organization that will truly look out for the techs. These volunteers at AAST may be great people but they are weighed down by the real or perceived alignment with AASM
labman2

Postby Jayhawkhenry » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:26 pm

The biggest problem I feel exists is the fact that AASM manages AAST. There needs to cooperation but should be some distance between them. Rich Rosenberg is a good man and I respect him, but he works for the AASM. The interests of the AASM are not the interests of the technologists in most cases. The voice of the sleep technologist is lost in the noise created by the business plans and actions of the AASM. The folks on the AAST board are all good people too, but they do not represent the membership very well.

I keep holding out hope that it will change. Time will tell.
Jayhawkhenry

Postby strawberri » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:41 pm

Jayhawkhenry wrote:The biggest problem I feel exists is the fact that AASM manages AAST. There needs to cooperation but should be some distance between them. Rich Rosenberg is a good man and I respect him, but he works for the AASM. The interests of the AASM are not the interests of the technologists in most cases. The voice of the sleep technologist is lost in the noise created by the business plans and actions of the AASM. The folks on the AAST board are all good people too, but they do not represent the membership very well.

I keep holding out hope that it will change. Time will tell.

100% agreement....how can an association "representing the sleep tech" have so many in charge (not just talking about the board here) who are not even RPSGT's, consider sleep a "hobby", and do not keep their promises?
PASTA has been of more assistance to my friends and I who consider sleep their career, not just a job, but a passion.

It's a shame we do not have most of the AAST leadership doing the same. Brendan, Poly, or the others running for the board this past year would have brought in new ideas, fresh air to the board and association....but apparently, they want those new ideas coming from people who consider sleep their hobby. It's truly an even more shameful act to even have published that statement.

Just my 2 cents :)
strawberri

Postby Amykr » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:58 pm

I guess I am the odd ball here I keep hoping my efforts and voice will help to change things. I believe in being the change I want to see. Of course I am on a committee with minimal voice as membership and communications which is really only about renewals and Sleep Tech appreciation week.
Amykr

AAST-or APT or CASH or Whatever

Postby TexasSleepguy » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:01 am

I was a member many hundreds of years ago when the world was young. I never seen anythiing good come from this group.-----------Does anyone remember how great the sleep field was in the late 80s and early 90s...sigh* Bring back Grass Paper!!!!
TexasSleepguy

PreviousNext

Return to AAST/AARC/ASET