Whats up with AAST ballots?

American Association of Sleep Technologists
American Association for Respiratory Care
American Society of Electroneurodiagnostic Technologists

Moderators: labman2, SCNVsleep

Whats up with AAST ballots?

Postby labman2 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:50 pm

So far today I received three ballots! - Something amiss!
How many others received multiple ballots and how will this impact the ballot count?

Stay tuned! for AS THE AAST TURNS! :shock:
labman2

Postby Sleepy in the South » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:31 am

They sent another email stating only one ballot from each member will be counted. I really don't know anyone on the ballots. I will ask my binary friends who they think is for the techs.
Sleepy in the South

Postby SCNVsleep » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:10 am

Vote early, and vote often!
SCNVsleep

Postby somnonaut » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:42 am

I am no longer an AAST member, who is on the ballot?
somnonaut

Postby Sleepy in the South » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:53 am

Secretary,
David Gregory, RPSGT, RST
or "write in"____________

Director at large
Select no more than two.
Allen Boone, RPSGT, RST, CCRC
Laree Fordyce, BT, RPSGT, RST, CCRP
Joanne Hebding, RPSGT
or "write in"________
Sleepy in the South

Postby Mairi2 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:48 pm

I know Allen Boone - have for years. He's been on the Education board as well as many others. He hasn't "drunk the Kool-aid" - at least yet - and I endorse him. He's got ideas, has been around for many, many years - remembers the days before the AAST was a pet of the AASM, and is always willing to listen to the other side of an argument - and can even change his mind when proven that he's an idiot over an issue.

Basically, if someone runs unopposed, especially if I don't know them, I don't vote for them.

I, too, voted early and often - and the email never asked me to log in as a member, either...
Mairi2

Postby polysomprincess » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:54 pm

oh joy, its that time again... i didnt reup this year....
polysomprincess

Postby labman2 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:17 pm

polysomprincess wrote:oh joy, its that time again... i didnt reup this year....

me neither... I decided I could do more good and have more impact on keeping an eye on things just by posting on PASTA and out here. This way I can freely speak my mind without signing any agreements with AAST , AASM, or BRPT...

I call it like I see it.... if they do good... such as the AAST monthly free CEU's, I commend them
If they mess up , like multiple ballots and no accounting for every vote cast,including write ins... I say shame on them.

We are supposed to believe the same IT department that allowed three emails to go out is now going to catch all the errors? Mmmmm stretch of faith!

If I ran again and by some strange chain of events actually won, I would have had to sign agreements to behave! :lol:

Better agent for positive change out here! :wink:
labman2

Postby Sleepy in the South » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:56 pm

Mairi2 wrote:I know Allen Boone - have for years. He's been on the Education board as well as many others. He hasn't "drunk the Kool-aid" - at least yet - and I endorse him. He's got ideas, has been around for many, many years - remembers the days before the AAST was a pet of the AASM, and is always willing to listen to the other side of an argument - and can even change his mind when proven that he's an idiot over an issue.

Basically, if someone runs unopposed, especially if I don't know them, I don't vote for them.

I, too, voted early and often - and the email never asked me to log in as a member, either...

Good enough for me. I don't know anyone by name so I guess it's better than blindly voting.

Maybe we should all put Labman2's name in for secretary as a "write in"......... :lol:
Sleepy in the South

Postby labman2 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:59 pm

Sleepy in the South wrote:
Mairi2 wrote:I know Allen Boone - have for years. He's been on the Education board as well as many others. He hasn't "drunk the Kool-aid" - at least yet - and I endorse him. He's got ideas, has been around for many, many years - remembers the days before the AAST was a pet of the AASM, and is always willing to listen to the other side of an argument - and can even change his mind when proven that he's an idiot over an issue.

Good enough for me. I don't know anyone by name so I guess it's better than blindly voting.

Maybe we should all put Labman2's name in for secretary as a "write in"......... :lol:

I have been putting someone as a write in for years and never see that vote accounted for anywhere!
One of my pet peeves that they do not release the ENTIRE vote cast totals to those members that request it!

not very transparent!

labman2
labman2

Results for the second class members

Postby labman2 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:18 pm

I just received an email penned by M Trimble that states

In March all AAST members had the opportunity to participate in the 2013 Board of Directors election by reviewing candidate profiles and voting for the offices of Secretary and two Directors-at-Large. I thank all of the members who cast a vote in the election, and I am honored to share with you the results:

Results? where are the results? These are just % of votes? Where is the raw vote total? Where is the complete vote total by candidate including write ins?

Why is this info never shared with the AAST dues paying members?

I think we are mature enough to handle the RESULTS - not some % of votes for the winners.

Sometimes I think that they are worried so few people take the time to vote it would look bad to show the raw numbers... Perhaps, more people would actually vote though if they felt it was a fair game and results were transparent down to every last vote!
-including every write in!
SOmeone took the trouble to write in a candidate... the least the AAST can do is respect that nomination by announcing their name so others can become familiar with that name for future elections. Why hide info from your membership?
Now... Have a nice weekend! :wink: :lol:
labman2

Postby labman2 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:24 pm

Sent: Friday, April 12, 2013 3:00 PM
To: AAST Volunteers
Subject: RE: Message from the President - Election Results

Thanks- but you have not shared results.. you have shared percentages… Can I please have the raw vote count as a voting dues paying member?

Sincerely

PS- congrats to all the elected !

....the AAST response......

Sent: Friday, April 12, 2013 4:58 PM
Subject: RE: Message from the President - Election Results

Hi Brendan,

For decades the AAST has conducted Officer and Director elections. At the conclusion of each election, the ballots are tallied, and the election results are ratified and shared with the membership. As you may recall, in 2012 when it was announced who the members elected to office were, the AAST included the percent of the votes cast for each elected candidate, which is more information than was previously provided to the membership.

Last year during the April 2012 Board of Directors meeting, the Board reviewed the inquiries requesting additional information regarding the Officer and Director election results. Following a lengthy discussion, it was unanimously decided that the election results would be shared with the membership noting the candidate(s) with the most votes for each office and the percent of the votes cast.

Should any regular AAST member in good standing wish to view the raw election results, he or she may do so by scheduling an appointment with the National Office.

Please feel free to reach out to me with any additional questions.

Best,
Katelyn

American Association of Sleep Technologists
2510 N. Frontage Road, Darien, IL 60561
Telephone: (630) 737-9704 I Fax: (630) 737-9788
E: kfullerton@aastweb.org I W: www.aastweb.org
Follow Us: LinkedIn I Facebook

and my followup.....

Katelyn

Thanks for the response.

Have you queried the dues paying membership as to what they would like?

Scheduling an appointment at the National office is a bit facetious as a solution… don’t ya think?

Why hide this from your membership?

I would like to know who these write in candidates are as they may be great future candidates that I am unaware of.

Just because something is voted on by the board does not mean it is perceived as correct by the membership.

Most boards entertain amendments on the ballots that are voted on by the membership as they cast votes for elected officials.

Perhaps you should include this as a yes or no vote item to the dues paying members next year.

Simply state WOULD YOU LIKE A FULL REPORTING OF EVERY VOTE AND THE VOTE TOTAL FOR EACH CANDIDATE?

The veil of secrecy only leads to skepticism as to the entire process.
labman2

Return to AAST/AARC/ASET