What does the AAST do for you?

American Association of Sleep Technologists
American Association for Respiratory Care
American Society of Electroneurodiagnostic Technologists

Moderators: SCNVsleep, labman2

What does the AAST do for you?

Postby sleepadmin » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:04 am

For anyone who religiously sends in their dues... Why?

1. How do you feel the money is spent?
2. What do you feel it does for you?
3. Do they represent your interests?
sleepadmin
Admin

Re: What does the AAST do for you?

Postby Murcielago » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:42 am

I use the membership exclusively to obtain the CEUs. The Case of the Month and Journal Club are free each month for members and each gives an hour of credit.
Murcielago

Postby MrBig » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:14 am

I haven't paid to be a memeber of AASM.....I mean AAST since the first year I was in sleep. I am a member of my state sleep society though.
MrBig

Postby goudasleep » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:13 am

Some year I have been a member, other years, no. Other than keeping track of CEUs I don't see that there is any advantage to being a member. As to the politics of the AAST and the other alphabet organizations that quarrel over the gristle that is this field, what it was, is, and is to come, I don't know.
goudasleep

Postby labman2 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:34 pm

I have been a frequent critic -but always maintained membership.

I now, this year, for the first time, I am actually a volunteer member of their membership and communications committee !

Why? because I saw real change happening- such as 32 credits for $125 dollars... and that is from an association that did not give any.

I also always enjoyed the A2zzzz magazine -and now that is free to everyone- even non-members.

So... that is what it does for me.... Can it do more? yes... but only with folks assisting since it is a volunteer organization.

Sure there are things that can be improved - but it has made strides in a good direction.
labman2

Postby happyzzz » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:34 pm

The same thing that the BRPT does for us, nothing. The only time that you deal with them is to give them money. We got not support or helpful info for anything from those bureaucracy institutions.
happyzzz

Postby labman2 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:38 pm

Sorry you feel that way happyzzz. I used to feel that way but have seen many changes and decided to volunteer to help the change going. I strongly suggest that you volunteer and take an active role in where AAST goes going forward!
Best Wishes!
labman2

Postby izzy » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:13 am

what was the heading on the recent aast website? the end is near...
izzy

Postby fanofcart » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:33 pm

fanofcart

Postby somnonaut » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:33 pm

WAH WAH WAH

As they sat around counting the money for the last decade, they forgot the Number 1 rule...be relevant.

So, if the "OSA" field is stripping your "GOLD SLEEP STUDY" parameters (low hanging fruit) off and making Home base surrogates or reproductions of them, then what? FOLD UP THE PSG SHOP like the headline contends?

NO

Make the In lab (place where sleep techs operate) study be MORE RELEVANT because Gold PSG contains MORE DATA and BETTER DATA, with BETTER ACQUISITION METHODS and yes ACTUAL PATIENT INTERACTION. What we are witnessing is the Gold standard, research quality studies being weaponized as capitalistic ammunition. They forego the human interaction side of the test to rely on self-applied Tin standard surrogates and replacements, in their effort to count even more cash.

We can either pull out the stops on incorporating the "higher fruit", by making PSG once again the LONGEST, MOST PARAMETRICally DENSE MEDICAL TEST EVER. At 6 hours (typically) and with no less than 8 parameters, EEG, EOG, EMG, ECG, Resp Airflow, Resp effort, Oximetry, ETCO2 and/or TcCO2 (and counting) we need to include MORE parameters to PUSH our little Pinocchio into the public eye, not just wait for someone else to make us feel like a real live boy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3490ffe0948

Or we can roll out a better method of providing HSAT and beat them at their own game. HSAT should stand for High Speed Apnea Treatment. It all was built on the complaint that the labs were taking too long. But with interweb ordering and shipping (seems like the HSAT field is employing more delivery drivers than sleep professionals) to and fro, they cannot provide Sleep Apnea treatment less than 5 days for just a diagnosis. If you are a lab and it is taking your that long nowadays, then you should fold. There is no reason to have trained professionals sitting idly at night not scoring the very records they acquire. This alone can totally transform you facility.

I know, I know, I hear all the BS about how the day time jobs are then gutted. Well, who said the daytime jobs are supposed to be finishing that which could have easily been accomplished overnight? There are OTHER tests and processes to do during the day, so there will still be daytime jobs. Just not specifically scoring daytime jobs.
somnonaut

Postby Jayhawkhenry » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:48 pm

Well Said!
Jayhawkhenry

Postby RayMeece » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:41 am

Yeah, but you know, we need a national group/voice to further our field. Otherwise, we would get swallowed up in Respiratory and not be heard of again.

I have been a member since 1997 (most years). They were the APT back then, and now I like the CEUs they offer. Sure, they like the money, but who doesn't? You like getting paid don't you? I think so.

So pony up the $125 and keep your job. And quit complaining. Or Volunteer for a Committee and get involved.
RayMeece

Postby somnonaut » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:44 pm

AAST gives free membership for committee members?

BTW, I AM on 2 AASM committees.
somnonaut

Postby RayMeece » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:41 am

No, I think you misunderstood. The AAST won't give away anything for free. I was saying to join the group, and THEN volunteer for a committee.
RayMeece

Postby RayMeece » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:42 am

somnonaut wrote:AAST gives free membership for committee members?

BTW, I AM on 2 AASM committees.

Somno, I have wanted to be on a committee, but was unsure about how that works. How do you meet with your committees? And how often?
RayMeece

Next

Return to AAST/AARC/ASET