Text books

American Association of Sleep Technologists
American Association for Respiratory Care
American Society of Electroneurodiagnostic Technologists

Moderators: SCNVsleep, labman2

Text books

Postby SleepyIdahoGirl » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:02 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if there were any textbooks recommended for those interested in cross training from sleep to EEG. I have fundamentals of EEG technology and have also ordered the Atlas of EEG patterns. There is a lot of information to learn.
I'm wary of ordering a bunch of books that have much of the same information. One of the areas I would specifically like to find a book on is neurological disorders.

Thanks in advance for any help!
SleepyIdahoGirl

Re: Text books

Postby RayMeece » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:34 am

Why would you want to leave the sleep field and go into EEG? seems like a backwards step.... haha
RayMeece

Postby SleepyIdahoGirl » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:15 pm

Well it is a little bit backwards, yes. My reasoning is for personal reasons. I would like to move to daytime hours. My husband works out of town and taking care of two children while working day time hours is a little challenging.
I live in a smaller area where there isn't a lot of open positions in the sleep field so moving into a day sleep position is not realistic at this time.
SleepyIdahoGirl

Postby MrBig » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:41 am

Do you know that you cannot train on-the-job and sit for the REEGT exam anymore? ABRET stopped this in 2015.

Side note: It seems a little silly to me that one needs a certificate or degree to put leads on and take them off.
MrBig

Postby somnonaut » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:39 pm

Isn't there more to an EEG than just "putting leads on and taking them off"?
somnonaut

Postby MrBig » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:03 am

somnonaut wrote:Isn't there more to an EEG than just "putting leads on and taking them off"?

Sure. You gotta clean the leads after you take them off.
MrBig

Postby SleepyIdahoGirl » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:01 am

[quote="MrBig"]Do you know that you cannot train on-the-job and sit for the REEGT exam anymore? ABRET stopped this in 2015.

If you are an RPSGT you can use pathway III and go the "clinical EEG experience" way. I'm not exactly sure what clinical EEG experience is. I have tried to call ABRET and they are not much help in answering that question.
SleepyIdahoGirl

Postby somnonaut » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:33 am

So, googling "procedures for performing an EEG" I get this
http://www.healthline.com/health/eeg#results6

Which really says there is not much more to an EEG than putting electrodes on and taking them off, which I cannot believe.
Is there no interaction with the patient in terms of asking them to do specific behaviors and alterations of tech duties based on output of these behaviors? What about strobe light? What about deep breathing, what about sleep onset? I thought these were all behaviors performed during routine EEG? Where are the EEG techs to answer this question?
somnonaut

Postby RayMeece » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:40 pm

I did EEGs as part of my initial training when I started in sleep, way back in 1994. And, yes, there is a lot more than the electrodes. Somno, you mentioned several things, and they are all valid and are probably the gist of what EEG techs do. Most of these things, though are probably specific to the lab within certain guidelines.
RayMeece

Postby dream police » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:15 pm

The EEG exam study guide is from the front page of ASET's website They list references. I have a hard copy of The Essentials of Clinical Neurophysiology and found this online years ago. It's a pretty good reference. This should get you started. Good luck.
Attachments
Essentials of Clinical Neurophysiology 3rd Edition.pdf
(4.64 MiB) Downloaded 168 times
EEG Exam Study Guide.pdf
(2.5 MiB) Downloaded 166 times
dream police

Postby RayMeece » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:38 am

I had also considered becoming a EEG Tech when I started, since, as I said, I did a lot of EEG hookups. But when I discussed it with the other EEG techs, they said it was a tough test, in that it not only included the hookup, and what you see, but that there were a LOT of questions about how different meds can affect what you see on the screen. I decided that was too much studying for me, along with the sleep stuff, so I just focused on Sleep.
RayMeece

Return to AAST/AARC/ASET