ASTEP Programs

American Association of Sleep Technologists
American Association for Respiratory Care
American Society of Electroneurodiagnostic Technologists

Moderators: SCNVsleep, labman2

ASTEP Programs

Postby RPSGT88 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:17 am

So what does everyone think about the new ASTEP progams? I think they will be a disservice to the public.

People will be coming out after two weeks expecting $20 or more/hr thinking they are actually sleep techs when they can't hit their *$$ with both hands.

Can anyone take a two week course to become nurses or respiratory therapists? How about a month long course to be a surgeon?

We're not stupid and this isn't Darfur.
RPSGT88

Postby sandman47 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:32 am

If all they are is a two-week program then I totally agree with you. There needs to be more two year AAS programs, with the expectation that an AAS in Sleep Technology will be required to work as a Sleep Technologist. Cram schools have been allowed to exist for far too long.
sandman47

Postby somnonaut » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:42 am

They supposedly are not just 2 week cram schools, Cramming for what anyway?
The 2 week didactic is akin to two week orientation at a job, and then progressive working in situ alongside other techs, then by themselves, all along taking computer based modules to objectively document (supposedly, we will see how that is perverted by people taking tests for others) a tech's progressive learning ON THE JOB. as for a SINGLE method to help the field get a hold of ON THE JOB TECHS, and help force them into structured learning situtations, I feel is a noble undertaking.
As for the ONLY training program, no. But until more structured learing rubriks are rolled out in community and 4 year collegs for Polysomnography, there ain't much else.
Being intimate with a state's desire for formal education in a field, this may help bridge the gap to get the field the legislation needed for licensure outside of getting schools up and running instantly.

It is not a panacea, but a start towards something better.
somnonaut

Postby polysomprincess » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:08 pm

so.... where can i find info on this program???
polysomprincess

Postby somnonaut » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:52 am

somnonaut

Postby oldsleeper » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:11 pm

What happens when the 2 weeker is working at lab and mentored by a 4 weeker who is supervised by a 6 weeker who is managed by an 8 weeker; in a lab owned by a boarded sleep doc who won't/can't review tests but can/does/will produce and sign (and of course bill for) an interp he/she dictated after reading the auto scored report generated by the 4 weeker from the 800 epochs of 60hz garbage collected by the 2 weeker?

Progressive in situ be damned (sorry Claude) -most of these people are going to go to work in a bunch of factories. And patients are gonna get screwed.

It's a good description of part of an "on the job training" program tho. Assuming there are fully qualified techs to supervise and mentor them for at least 6 months, before they are left alone with a patient.

But that isn't how it will work for most of them, some with just a 2 week cert will be left alone with 2 patients as soon as they are hired. I have no problem with on the job training - I was trained on the job; but the key word is trained (as in taught); this is training by proxy, telepathy, instinct or crossed fingers and whispered prayers; just trial and error and serendipity.

There must be oversight and supervision for a sustained period of the learning process or this can't work.

Just my 2 pennies.....
oldsleeper

Postby somnonaut » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:40 pm

As with all "training" of any type, "some with just a 2 week cert will be left alone with 2 patients as soon as they are hired. " At least the program calls for:
"STEP 2, which includes on-the-job training supplemented by 14 e-learning modules, is fulfilled through the joint efforts of each participant's employer and AASM, respectively."

And an accounting of ones further training is documented.
It is a STEP in the right direction.
somnonaut

Postby polysomprincess » Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:55 pm

I went to the site and found what sleep labs were already astep accredited...

I know of a facility that is.... I wouldnt send my dog there for testing or treatment..sad to say if THEY passed AASM accreditation then anyone can... and if they are allowed to open there doors and teach sleep medicine they anyone can...

I lost my respect for these governing bodies...they all suck!
polysomprincess

Postby oldsleeper » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:33 pm

polysomprincess wrote:I went to the site and found what sleep labs were already astep accredited...

I know of a facility that is.... I wouldnt send my dog there for testing or treatment..sad to say if THEY passed AASM accreditation then anyone can... and if they are allowed to open there doors and teach sleep medicine they anyone can...

I lost my respect for these governing bodies...they all suck!

AMEN
oldsleeper

Postby somnonaut » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:56 pm

COuld not traing be independent of those that actually run it? It has to be hosted by an Accredited facility, but I do not think that hiring trainers for the sessions is out of the question.
I saw it more as a step towards school based training programs, with eventual disbandment. But, if it is a money maker for a lab, then might they NOT help a local comm collge start a program of their own?

Not the ringing endorsement the AASM was hoping for. I was wondering if anyone had any idea how the CBT aspect of ASTEP is coming?
somnonaut

A/step

Postby capitob2 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:15 pm

I have just completed the introductory part of the a-step program and am now considered a trainee. I am looking for employment but only at this level. I feel that I have a better understanding of polysomnography. This program is best for people who have a back ground in patient care.I worked in respiratory and started as a ojt so I can see the disadvantages of having the mind set to respond to events as a rt and am learning to be for the most part an observer. I was very unhappy in respiratory and chose not to become a CRRT. This was the only way for me to enter sleep. I hope that when I go out to labs looking for work that this program will not be seen in the light that many of the forum . :?
capitob2

Re: A/step

Postby Jayhawkhenry » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:23 pm

capitob2 wrote:I have just completed the introductory part of the a-step program and am now considered a trainee. I am looking for employment but only at this level. I feel that I have a better understanding of polysomnography. This program is best for people who have a back ground in patient care.I worked in respiratory and started as a ojt so I can see the disadvantages of having the mind set to respond to events as a rt and am learning to be for the most part an observer. I was very unhappy in respiratory and chose not to become a CRRT. This was the only way for me to enter sleep. I hope that when I go out to labs looking for work that this program will not be seen in the light that many of the forum . :?

Good for you capitob2! Welcome to the world of sleep and to this forum. :D RT is not for everyone. Sleep is a special field with a lot of wonderful people working in it.
The A-STEP program is your stepping stone to preparing for 18 months of OJT that could lead to taking the BRPT exam. Any lab looking for a tech trainee should want a person who has completed a A-STEP program. Once you get your RPSGT, you should not have a problem finding a job.
The time is coming when PSG programs will limited to 2 year Associate Degree programs. When I started in I.T. (inhalation therapy) most training was OJT or at a two week "crash course" #-o everyone starts some place and every profession does too.
As you progress down the sleep road, be sure to use binary sleep as a resource.
Jayhawkhenry

Postby theboyns1 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:52 am

I am very glad they have at least started a program. We have a technician who is an EMT training in our sleep lab and is going to go to the astep program in october and he is really looking foward to getting more in depth details about sleep in a classroom enviroment. I think it is good but should not be treated like a 2 year degree. Unfortunately there are a lot of private labs that already throw people into two patients a night the first week of their training. Patients already suffer. Can it get worse if the AASM mandates at least a two week taining?
theboyns1

Postby oldsleeper » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:45 am

http://www.sleephealth.com/a-step/

3 grand - includes parking and lunches, hotel is only 250.00 a night and you get a book and your very own mannequin head....

and you will -

Earn credentials recognized by the AASM and The Association of
Polysomnographic Technologists (APT).

That's credentials - plural...

Didn't the the APT die??

:-s
oldsleeper

Postby REMRebounder » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:20 pm

I'm currently involved with an ASTEP program. I feel it is a good beginning to the standardization that is coming in the future. We explain to everyone that they will more than likely go through more training once they receive a job in this field. It is only a foundation that is to be built off of.
REMRebounder

Next

Return to AAST/AARC/ASET