ASTEP Programs

American Association of Sleep Technologists
American Association for Respiratory Care
American Society of Electroneurodiagnostic Technologists

Moderators: SCNVsleep, labman2

Postby somnonaut » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:36 am

Not sure I understand your concern.
To doA-sep properly, one goes through the 80 hr didactic module, THEN works in a lab, and takes the online modules over the course of 18 months. How will a flood of techs arrise from this major expectation of major comittment?
somnonaut

Postby Sleepladypalmdesert » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:36 pm

I would love it if the market was flooded with sleep techs. I have a very hard time finding one....which is why I steal good employees away from other departments in the hospital and send them to an A-Step course and then work closely with them. I find really smart employees with good patient surveys who work for the biggest B%^ches in the hospital, who have been treated roughly. When I bring them over, give them a little more money and send them for training...treat them with respect...they are mine forever.
Sleepladypalmdesert

Postby Somnologist » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:37 am

somnonaut wrote:Sleep Syllabus

That is really hot.

Did you make that?
Somnologist

Postby somnonaut » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:47 am

No, UCLA Brain Information Service I think.
somnonaut

Between a rock and a hard place...

Postby brendalu » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:35 pm

I am in complete shock. I was to graduate next week from a PSG program at a college. I have been going for 1.5 years, driving 1:45 one way and mostly at night while working two jobs. Now I find out the teacher didn't get the program accredited as promised. Now he wants all of us to take the "NEW" diploma program and he promises it will be accredited by next year and "this is the best route to go."

Was wondering how many have done the online modules and the 2 week program. I am sick, sick, sick. I don't think one should be able to jump into a job with that little training without something in their background. I have learned so much crammed into a year and half. But I am at a loss as to what to do now. i was ready to be done and look for a job but don't know what to do now. It sounds like not many on here would want someone trained that way. HELP ME PLEASE. I have 24 hours to decide to sign up for the diploma program. AHHHHH!!!
brendalu

Postby RPSGT88athome » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:45 pm

I've seen that happen before.

NEVER ENROLL IN AN UNACCREDITED PROGRAM, PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RPSGT88
RPSGT88athome

Postby sleepguy » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:47 pm

Let me see if I've got this straight -

You spent 1.5 years in an unaccredited program, with the teacher promising that the program would get accredited by the time you finished.

He didn't.

Now he want's you so sign up for a new unaccredited program that he promises will become accredited.

And you are thinking of signing up for this new program?

I'm not saying this to be mean or snarky but - ARE YOU NUTS? These folks screwed you over once, and now you're thinking of letting them screw you over again? The first thing you should do is grab your fellow students and file suit against the college for leading you on for fraud. Demand all your tuition back. Report this program to your regional college accreditation organization.
sleepguy

Postby tiredjohnny1 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:03 pm

Don't let them give you a deadline or rush you into something (again) that might not be to your advantage. Is this a private college? What is the college's accreditation? If the college has a dept of education accreditation, then you probably can transfer those credits into an accredited PSG program. Since there are no accredited programs in GA, you may want to look at colleges outside the state. Some of those programs allow you to take courses at your local college and then work with them on the clinical rotations. That may be an option. If the college you attended does not have regional dept of education accreditation, then you might have a difficult time taking advantage of the classes you've taken.

If it were me, I would look into the online programs first. I also would probably just check around with labs in my local area and explain the education you received and they might be interested in bringing you on as a trainee. If you did any clinicals, those labs where you did them would be a great place to start.

If you do decide to take psg courses anywhere in the future, please check with CAAHEP beforehand so that you can be confident that the classes will count. Here is the link: http://caahep.org/Find-An-Accredited-Program/

To see if the college you attended is accredited check here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/search.aspx

Hope this helps.
tiredjohnny1

Re: Between a rock and a hard place...

Postby robotrobotrobot » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:08 pm

brendalu wrote:I am in complete shock. I was to graduate next week from a PSG program at a college. I have been going for 1.5 years, driving 1:45 one way and mostly at night while working two jobs. Now I find out the teacher didn't get the program accredited as promised. Now he wants all of us to take the "NEW" diploma program and he promises it will be accredited by next year and "this is the best route to go."

Was wondering how many have done the online modules and the 2 week program. I am sick, sick, sick. I don't think one should be able to jump into a job with that little training without something in their background. I have learned so much crammed into a year and half. But I am at a loss as to what to do now. i was ready to be done and look for a job but don't know what to do now. It sounds like not many on here would want someone trained that way. HELP ME PLEASE. I have 24 hours to decide to sign up for the diploma program. AHHHHH!!!

I hope you saved your syllabi, or can get copies from classmates and/or instructors. If you did, you may be able to make the case to either BRPT or an employer that you received training comparable to that of an accredited program. BRPT will probably be much harder to convince if they don't just stonewall you. I'm thinking/hoping that your teacher didn't get the accreditation done because he didn't do all the paperwork to submit it, not that your program wouldn't meet the standards. You could even look up what those standards are, then compare that to what you did. I bet you could convince a lab to hire you, as long as you can calmly explain what happened without directly blaming your teacher (your interviewer should be able to figure that out without any help). You may then have to go the OTJ route to CPSGT/RPSGT, but it's better to get paid than pay, right? Then, if the teacher does get the program accredited, you'll have better grounds for justifying that your education met the standards.

As for getting your money back, if the teacher put the promise of accreditation in writing, you'll have some standing, but otherwise, no dice. Also, filing a law suit requires a lawyer, who requires money. Again, I think it's better to get paid than pay, unless you really have a good chance at winning. Definitely report the school, but don't let them waste any more of your time. You've learned what you need, so go put it to use!
robotrobotrobot

Postby robotrobotrobot » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:16 pm

tiredjohnny1 wrote:If the college has a dept of education accreditation, then you probably can transfer those credits into an accredited PSG program.
If it were me, I would look into the online programs first.

Brilliant! Why didn't I think of that? Definitely try that, but I still think that if you can find a lab to hire you now, then do it, but do the online program at the same time, if you can. If you were commuting 3.5 hours round trip for classes, I think you should be able to handle work and online classes at the same time. If you're at a more "relaxed" lab (insert argument about appropriate activities during shift, online scoring, bathroom breaks, intercoms, smoke breaks, eating, cameras, etc.), you could even do your coursework during your shift - hey, it's sleep-related education, right?
robotrobotrobot

Postby RPSGT88athome » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:54 pm

You know...and as a great many others know...I'm a #$*%#& hard ass. I
would sue the college for breach of contract. But that's just me. I have several degrees and one is in political science. I enjoy filing lawsuits against people.

RPSGT88
RPSGT88athome

Think I got it figured out...

Postby brendalu » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:58 pm

Thanks for the great replies. I am not a sue happy person. He CYA'd as he says. It doesn't say we would be accredited, what it does say is, "After completion of the certificate program the student will be ready to sit for the boards within 12-18 months." So.... if I were to get a job right out of school and work that long, take the modules then I would be ready to take the boards. Whatever...
My husband spoke to someone over a Sleep lab here that he knew and she said the same thing, move on... Take the modules while you work, it will be fine.
So I am not going to stress over it. I got some good education and hands on instead of just the online part.

Life is good...... :))
brendalu

Postby britteny » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:14 pm

I never heard of such programs before, may I know some more about this? What exactly it is for? I think this is an organization or association. Your information is so relevant for me but need to know something more in this context.
britteny

Postby tiredjohnny1 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:25 pm

Britteny there are several pathways to becoming a sleep tech. Can you tell us a little bit more about yourself such as: What state are you in? Do you already have a medical credential? Do you already have a degree? Once we know a few specifics abou you we can offer advice specific to your needs.
tiredjohnny1

Previous

Return to AAST/AARC/ASET