03-19-09 Update on 7 States

American Association of Sleep Technologists
American Association for Respiratory Care
American Society of Electroneurodiagnostic Technologists

Moderators: SCNVsleep, labman2

licensure

Postby sleepnlisa » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:43 am

Thanks Strawberri! I have been perusing the MD Board of Physicians to find this update and have been unsuccessful. As always, thanks for keeping us all informed! I do not know how you are able to wear so many hats :wink:
Lisa
sleepnlisa

state updates

Postby sleepwise » Thu May 14, 2009 5:07 pm

Thanks for the updated info. Here is the latest good news from Georgia..thanks to the quick and hard work of a group of sleep docs and techs
:D
Wanted to share with you that the Health Practice Act (HB 509) was signed into law yesterday by Gov. Purdue. Section 43-34-45 of this act defines polysomnography and exempts licensure criteria as a respiratory care professional, pertaining to the diagnosis & treatment of sleep disorders.

In a nutshell, what this means is that a polysomnography tech (see definition below) is exempt from the Respiratory Care Act for issues pertaining to sleep disorders
sleepwise

Postby tcr104 » Thu May 14, 2009 5:44 pm

Congratulations! Good work in Georgia.
tcr104

congrats

Postby labman2 » Thu May 14, 2009 6:25 pm

free at last!

another state where sleep techs can do their job without interference from other entities.

Enjoy!

labman2
labman2

Postby polysomprincess » Thu May 14, 2009 6:27 pm

SHAMWOW!
polysomprincess

Postby Giddyup » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:46 am

Time for me to join AAST imma guessin... anyone know about Arkansas, what happened to the state society... I find some info... then it's all dried up and nothin there... kinda like a tumbleweed...
Giddyup

Postby kathie2ark » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:50 am

Giddyup wrote:Time for me to join AAST imma guessin... anyone know about Arkansas, what happened to the state society... I find some info... then it's all dried up and nothin there... kinda like a tumbleweed...
Hey I'm in Arkansas and joined AAST recently so I could get involved in protecting our state. I moved here three years ago and haven't seen a Sleep Society in Ark. I asked AAST about starting one here so far it's we are working on it and we'll get back to you.

Where are you in Ark.?
kathie2ark

Postby WAVE » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:47 pm

We here in Texas are doing the same thing. Our society was established and then just... nothing happened. I left a meeting just last night and am hopeful this will turn around. I want to place a quote here from another post that has inspired me and may do the same for you.

tcr104 wrote:
DC will be passing a licensure law for Polysomnography in 17 days. This wouldnt have happened without the formation of a state sleep society-A sleep society in which only 11 people have paid dues for the year. 11 PEOPLE. Success is built by the work of committed volunteers. Paying dues is cheap, but talk is cheaper.

It is amazing that such a small group of people were able to be a voice for the entire state! So you have a passion to create a movement, dont stop searching and talking about it. I'm not going to :wink:
WAVE

Postby polysomprincess » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:50 pm

Kathie,
stay on the AAST website...trust me they are working on it...its not a lie...most likely though they are trying to put out the fires in other places and doing the best to get the job needed done.....
polysomprincess

Postby kathie2ark » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:28 am

polysomprincess wrote:Kathie,
stay on the AAST website...trust me they are working on it...its not a lie...most likely though they are trying to put out the fires in other places and doing the best to get the job needed done.....
Oh I will, this is too important not to pursue.
kathie2ark

Postby Giddyup » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:49 am

Found out there used to be one here in AR... still looking for info...
Giddyup

Postby strawberri » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:04 am

This article is the most detailed account of how a sleep society can be born from all the information I have read....if anyone else can help, please post your suggestions for Giddyup.

http://www.sleepreviewmag.com/issues/articles/2009-01_03.asp

My suggestion would be, if the old one "died" either give it CPR or begin fresh by talking to other techs, docs, etc. as described in the article. It only takes ONE to get involved to make a difference. It took less than a dozen to do what DC did!

Quote from the article:
The AAST and AASM now offer assistance in getting a state society started, but it takes you to get it rolling. It only takes a few phone calls or e-mails to get rolling toward success.

We can sit on our butts all day and talk or post about "doing", but not much gets accomplished that way....I sat back for a couple of years and read the posts and websites about sleep societies, but one day a light bulb suddenly came on in my head and I realized there were OTHER people making decisions about my career choice, and I wasn't saying or doing anything....so I got involved. Do I make a difference?...I don't know...but I hope we ALL do someday.

(And if you aren't really someone who wants to become a "voice", or advocate, at least pay the yearly dues to the society in your area for support, the dues aren't much but the membership numbers look fantastic on paper!)
strawberri

Postby strawberri » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:49 am

State Society Update

AAST continues to move forward establishing a state sleep society in states that do not currently have a society. The purpose of the sleep society initiative is to strengthen the sleep care community in each state, and to provide a forum that will serve to educate members and protect the profession from any issues that may affect their practice.

At the start of this initiative there were 18 state sleep societies. Currently there are 32 societies. We are now working with 8 new states: Arizona, Maryland, Maine, Montana, New Hampshire, Oregon, South Carolina, and Utah.
strawberri

Postby Giddyup » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:07 am

K... thanks much! I joined AAST and peeked around a little, not much time to dig deep yet, but also sent a message to them that I'm interested in helpin out... one step at a time, hopefully this will be better than chutes and ladders!
Giddyup

Postby somnonaut » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:31 pm

New York State Society of Sleep Medicine (NYSSSM) has a new President (Dr. Michael Thorpy), a new Mission statement, new website with new online membership activation possibilities, with new lower membership rates, and needs your renewed participation.
www.newyorksleep.org
www.nysssm.org
www.nysleepsociety.org

http://nysssm.club.officelive.com/annua ... g2010.aspx
somnonaut

PreviousNext

Return to AAST/AARC/ASET