03-19-09 Update on 7 States

American Association of Sleep Technologists
American Association for Respiratory Care
American Society of Electroneurodiagnostic Technologists

Moderators: labman2, SCNVsleep

Postby Vix » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:35 pm

somnonaut wrote:New York State Society of Sleep Medicine (NYSSSM) has a new President (Dr. Michael Thorpy), a new Mission statement, new website with new online membership activation possibilities, with new lower membership rates, and needs your renewed participation.
www.newyorksleep.org
www.nysssm.org
www.nysleepsociety.org

http://nysssm.club.officelive.com/annua ... g2010.aspx

Thanks - I just went there and added my $35 to the pot, and I printed the membership app for my techs. :)
Vix

im in

Postby labman2 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:42 pm

i am also signed up and paid up .

Hope everybody in NY gets on board with this!

Lot's of things we can accomplish as a group!
labman2

Postby Sleepy in the South » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:55 pm

Hawaii
On January 28, 2009, nine bills pertaining to licensing requirements for respiratory care practitioners were introduced in the Hawaii State Legislature. One of these bills (SB 1332) is under active consideration and there are problems with its inadequate exemption language. AAST is working with the Hawaii Sleep Society to address this issue.

Currently, only Hawaii and Alaska do not license respiratory care practitioners.

On Feb 4, 2010, the legislature passed a bill with a new language exempting licensed professionals to do their duties within the scope of practice if it over laps. Which means RPSGTs can do titrations BUT a new bill was submitted deleting that very statement. Now the process begins AGAIN. AARC is trying very hard to move sleep into RT duties only.

Here we go again........
Sleepy in the South

Postby Ted the Sleep Guy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:42 pm

Does anyone have any info on the situation around the country with regard to Permits for RPSGT's insted of licensure. I heard South Carolina was doing this. I don't know how accurate that is. I am curious where else this is taking place and how is it working out.
Ted the Sleep Guy

Postby stars » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:57 am

I got my BRPT state license today.Cost me 215$
stars

Postby thesleepwhisperer » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:00 am

whoa....tax right off?
thesleepwhisperer

Postby strawberri » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:07 am

Hawaii Senate Bill 2600 (received the update on 03-31-10)

The AAST has been working with the Hawaii Sleep Society to ensure that sleep technologists would be able to continue working unimpeded within their scope of practice. Hawaii is one of two states (Alaska being the other) which does not have a practice act for either sleep technologists or respiratory therapists. Senate Bill 2600 (SB 2600) would establish licensure for respiratory therapists. Recently, exemption language was incorporated into the bill which states that the bill shall not apply to a person:

Working as, in training to become, or studying to become a sleep technologist or sleep technician as defined by the American Association of Sleep Technologists.

SB 2600 has passed in the Senate and is now being considered in the House. The AAST will continue to work closely with the HSS on this issue and will keep our members informed of any new developments. To view the full language, members can click on the following link:

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session20 ... 0_HD2_.htm
strawberri

Postby strawberri » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:07 am

Virginia House Bill 725 (received update 03-31-10)

The AAST has been working closely with the Virginia Academy of Sleep Medicine (VASM) on House Bill 725 (HB 725), important piece of legislation which would establish licensure for sleep technologists. The bill has passed both the House and the Senate and has been submitted to the Governor's office for signature. The governor is expected to sign the bill in the next few weeks.

Members can review the bill by clicking on the following link:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504 ... ful+HB725E
strawberri

Postby strawberri » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:09 am

New York - AB 9546/SB 7047 (received update 03-31-10)

Both the Assembly Bill (AB 9546) and the Senate Bill (SB 7047), which would establish licensure for sleep technologists in New York, have been referred to committees for consideration. AB 9546 has been referred to the House Higher Education Committee and SB 7047 has been referred to the Senate Higher Education Committee. No dates have been scheduled for the Committees to consider either bill.

The bills can be reviewed at the following links:

http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?defaul ... y=Y&Text=Y

http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/ap ... bill/S7047
strawberri

Postby strawberri » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:10 am

AAST update:

AAST continues to move forward in establishing a state sleep society in states that do not currently have a society. The purpose of the sleep society initiative is to strengthen the sleep care community in the state, and to provide a forum that will serve to educate members and protect the profession from any issues that may affect their practice.

At the start of this initiative, there were 18 state sleep societies. Currently there are 40 societies. We are now working with 4 new states: Arkansas, Maine, Oklahoma, and Utah.
strawberri

New Hampshire

Postby lorilpn » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:01 pm

New Hampshire now has a Sleep Society-
nhsleep.org
It will be important to support your state sleep society to be able to have a voice in this.
lorilpn

Postby Sandmanmike » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:04 am

Does Arizona have a sleep society?

If so contact info?
Sandmanmike

Postby strawberri » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:50 pm

Google:

(insert state name here) Sleep Society

This usually brings up whatever state society anyone is looking for.
Hope you join Arizona's!

http://azsleepsociety.org/default.aspx
strawberri

Postby countnsheep » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:59 am

I see the merits for both sides of the argument for state licensing. My complaint is HOW FREAKING CONFUSING does this all have to be?????

I kinda like one set standard. Sure, there are always areas of grey....big cities can not be treated like little towns any more than Florida can be treated like Alaska.....but really, i like the idea of a "head" to the body instead of 50 different limbs doing 50 different things. We need someone to lead us all in the same general direction--to guide us into further progress in this field. It just seems like we are dis-assembling what was already a pretty loosely based society. There is a lot to be said for each state managing in a more "hands on" way, but where is the continuity? My fear is that some will progress while some will steer far off course and anyone transitioning between states will get lost in all the differences.

:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
countnsheep

Postby ttangles » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:53 am

Similar in other professions. I had to get a license in each new state I moved to. Each had it's own and very different requirements.. from paying a fee (reciprocity), to retaking state boards..... It can be frustrating!
ttangles

PreviousNext

Return to AAST/AARC/ASET