Renew AAST membership?

American Association of Sleep Technologists
American Association for Respiratory Care
American Society of Electroneurodiagnostic Technologists

Moderators: SCNVsleep, labman2

Renew AAST membership?

Postby tiredjohnny1 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:03 am

Got the renewal invoice in the mail...having a hard time seeing the need to renew. Any suggestions?
tiredjohnny1

Postby RPSGT88athome » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:15 pm

My practice used to purchase an AAST membership for every tech on staff until we painfully realized the AAST was naming our techs in the Annual Listing (you know the annual AASM book.) Because of the listing our techs were constantly being sent job offers. So instead of paying for our techs to be solicited by other practices we stopped paying their memberships to the AAST. The AAST shot themselves in the foot over that one.

RPSGT88
RPSGT88athome

Postby Amykr » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:50 pm

Although there are issues with the AAST it is our association. The more involvecd we get with it the more changes we can make. I admit that here in Florida we do not feel its support but it has helped in many states with licensure and creation of associations from my understanding.
Amykr

for me

Postby labman2 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:41 pm

I have been a member for quite a few years. I think for the magazine articles alone it is worth my membership.

And- I take advantage of the CEU's you can earn for reading the articles.

Could it improve as an organization? Sure! -and they are always looking for volunteers! So... why not join and make headway on the changes that you think would make it better!

I wrote a few articles for them s few years ago and enjoyed working with the folks especially when Theresa Shumard was there.

Anyway, I just renewed.

Labman2
labman2

Postby RedSoxSleepGuy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:57 pm

I have been an on again off again member since the mid 80's.......and I too remember the days of Theresa and other members who gave their time and effort.....I wish that the cost would come down but it is what it is and I will pay again if nothing else but to track my CEC's and have the availability of other CEC's....But for 88, I didnt think that labs were still sending out flyers re:openings......there are enough places to post jobs that I can't believe that it is cost efficient.
RedSoxSleepGuy

Postby strawberri » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:19 pm

I joined early last year and this year in order to take advantage of their early bird offer - a free archived webinar - they have several to choose from and are well worth the money! Great additions to my library!

Plus...I too enjoy the free CEU's offered every quarter just by reading the magazine. Always something new to learn...and I like the "name that arrythmia" articles and several more. Look forward to seeing them come in the mail....

Last year I received - "Advances in Sleep Technology: Central and Complex Sleep Apnea Webinar Archive CD-ROM" This year I'm still trying to decide which one I want...so many to choose from...decisions decisions....hmm

*Santa is considering a membership in the AASM this year too! Really want/need access to all those articles!!! PLUS:
"One free individual AASM webinar archive CD-ROM or a new streaming video. Offer is valid from the date your renewal is processed through June 1, 2010. Streaming videos will be available on the AASM website beginning January 2011. Shipping and handling charges apply. Coupon Code: 11EBAW"
strawberri

Postby polysomprincess » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:27 pm

RPSGT 88,
I really didnt think that just because they post each individuals names in the AAST book, and that they are solicited for work is a good reason to stop membership....geeze...no one solicits me!...lol :D

well, I am a member have been for a long time...not only that I am involved in a commitee...

my thoughts are you can bitch and whine, but only when you get involved nothing will change otherwise...and if you choose not to be involved then you have no voice or authority to complain....

The AAST vision/mission is this...

Mission
To promote and advance the sleep technology profession through the continued development of educational, technical and clinical excellence in sleep disorders

Vision
To preserve the autonomy and future of the sleep technology profession by providing educational and professional pathways with innovative approaches that promote professional growth and development

if that doesnt fall inline with what you need then perhaps you need to fall on and look into your state organizations.... of which the AAST does try to help with...

so in my opinion they are worth the 100 a year... i get a discounted rate for national conference... I get the A to Zzzz mags for the CEU's.... I get my name and address in a book that lists other collegeues in the same profession.... and I get to rub elbows with lots of smart and wonderful people.... :D
Last edited by polysomprincess on Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
polysomprincess

Postby somnonaut » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:39 pm

strawberri wrote:Always something new to learn...and I like the "name that arrythmia" articles..."[/i]

I went and compiled a volume of all of John Atkinson's Arrythmia publications. The AAST should bundle them into a single PDF and provide to AASM for inclusion in the EKG A-Step Module. :shock:

Nice work Rev. :wink:
somnonaut

Postby polysomprincess » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:40 pm

Excellent Idea Claude.!
polysomprincess

Postby Amykr » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:02 pm

I can bring it up at our next communication and membership meeting ...any other ideas let me know you know me I have a big mouth
Amykr

Postby polysomprincess » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:27 pm

Amyker,

HEY.... I just moved off that commitee! haha...
polysomprincess

Postby labman2 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:30 pm

Amykr wrote:I can bring it up at our next communication and membership meeting ...any other ideas let me know you know me I have a big mouth

Well then, here is another....! I mentioned once before that since good communication should be two way ... the A2Zzzz should have a LETTERS TO THE EDITOR section where folks could comment, or expound, update , or , if needed, challenge the information/articles presented. (Don't let Claude see this! ):shock: :lol:

It also could serve as a way for folks to have a voice as to topics such as current/pending legislation in the state they are practicing in.

- also each issue can list the top five ways to get free or cheap sleep CEU's for that particular time period.

Thanks

Labman2
labman2

Postby Amykr » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:14 am

I will be happy to bring it up.
Amykr

Postby somnonaut » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:28 am

CEC, they are called CEC's now, Didn't you get the friggin' memo?
somnonaut

Postby strawberri » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:09 am

I have been copying his articles too somnonaut and adding them to a notebook I have....look forward to all the magazines, read each one more than once, always find something I have missed!

I liked the questions answered on the scoring rules too and I have a couple of "favorite" topic authors.

A yearly "topic" index to the previous year's articles might be a good idea too for magazine junkies like myself, and to assist someone in trying to find an article, but on second thought, those might already be available or easier to find by "googling", or searching the AAST site.

Love all the ideas you guys...and letters to the editor would be a great addition!

I used to belong to a national organization, they published magazines also, and to increase membership and spread the education contained in the magazines - whenever a state had an annual meeting coming up, the state organization could purchase (at a very discounted rate) bundles (25, 50, 100, etc.) of either the current issue, or one of their choosing that perhaps contained articles in it pertaining to their conference.

These were handed out in the "welcome" packages to all attendees, it certainly increased membership - some attending were not members - also the magazines were taken back to the workplaces and read by the staff. The first year they offered this type of magazine discount to the states, membership increased by around 30+% if memory serves correctly.

The only problems I have with the magazine is:

It doesn't come out often enough..lol!
It's not long enough...I want more!! Hate coming to the last page :(

I hope it doesn't start being published online ONLY like some are doing, I understand the costs in publishing and mailing during these times, and using electronic versions are cost effective and nice for some...but I'm old fashioned, I like to hold what I'm reading, and love turning the pages (and not by a click of the mouse)....but I'm old....and an ANTI-KINDLE supporter...lol! And I'm resigned to the fact, the future will come no matter how much I drag my feet....
strawberri

Next

Return to AAST/AARC/ASET