American Association of Sleep Technologists
American Association for Respiratory Care
American Society of Electroneurodiagnostic Technologists

Moderators: labman2, SCNVsleep

Postby polysomprincess » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:59 am

Good point Johnny
polysomprincess

Postby fanofcart » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:16 pm

Last I checked, the AAST had a board independent of the AASM. Sure they are headquartered in the same building. Who knows, maybe they even share secretaries. The AAST is co-operating with the AASM on the RST exam, but why shouldn't they? The BRPT exam appears to have some problems, as does the BRPT itself.

The AAST has always promoted itself as a "professional" organization. Not a "labor/trade" organization.

I would hope that anyone running as a candidate for the AAST board of directors would have an idea of what the AAST is.
fanofcart

Postby polysomprincess » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:32 pm

MissionTo promote and advance the sleep technology profession through the continued development of educational, technical and clinical excellence in sleep disorders

VisionTo preserve the autonomy and future of the sleep technology profession by providing educational and professional pathways with innovative approaches that promote professional growth and development

ValuesMake a difference in the quality of care provided by our members
Respond to our members needs with service programs founded with integrity
Provide quality products and services
Conduct business in an ethical and professional manner
Be accessible and accountable to our members
Treat individuals with compassion, respect, dignity and fairness
Value individual contribution in an atmosphere of teamwork and collaboration
Encourage open communication and welcome diversity of opinions
polysomprincess

Ditto

Postby labman2 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:21 pm

I would like to see it as the place that any real tech that is passionate about what they do would be interested in being a member of because

-they get real time information regarding their profession and the associated therapies, research, and technology
-value oriented educational resources
- access to a community of like minded professionals
- and as a unified voice for changes that may impact sleep techs- while they are not political per se- they do involve themselves in assisting with political matters such as state societies, sleep tech legislation etc.

Now, -if your view of your job is to come in, use your present knowledge, run a study, and go home, never learn anymore than the minimum to do your job ....then the AAST is probabaly not for you....

The AAST should be another source for learning, peer interaction, and professional development, and personal growth ...

And I believe that I can assist in those areas. I also am seeking nomination to confirm that ANY member can be nominated and have a shot at a board seat... not just members that are on volunteer committees. I commend those volunteers for all their dedicated service, but the nomination process should be open to all candidates that are in good standing and wish to run. There cant be THAT MANY folks that are submitting the necessary documentation to show that their interest is sincere. So, placing all the nominees that submit the necessary documents to run should not be a roadblock for the AAST.

BTW- My good friend LIA (AKA Polysomprincess ) is seeking nomination aslo and has worked hard as a AAST volunteer. I wholeheartedly support her nomination and hope you vote for her once she IS nominated!!

( I AM BRENDAN AND I APPROVED THIS MESSAGE! :wink: )
labman2

Postby somnonaut » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:50 pm

I wonder if there is any way to see the APT's original mission statement?

How has (if it has) the AAST's MS diverged from this?

Is the current AAST MS now:
1) Better able to represent the professional interest of techs, including being a "trade organization" as it might have always tried to be?"
2) Conforming to the whims of the AASM?
3) Becoming more of an educational venue only?

Just wondering it comparison to the original MS is worthwhile.
somnonaut

Postby polysomprincess » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:18 pm

there must be Claude... I wonder if i still have my old APT issues if they would be in there...
polysomprincess

Postby tiredjohnny1 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:32 am

fanofcart wrote:Last I checked, the AAST had a board independent of the AASM. Sure they are headquartered in the same building. Who knows, maybe they even share secretaries. The AAST is co-operating with the AASM on the RST exam, but why shouldn't they? The BRPT exam appears to have some problems, as does the BRPT itself.

They share all the same employees and physical facilities. The AAST BOD has not proven itself to be 'independent' of the AASM. Recent examples: 3:1 ratio and RST credential. Even if the AAST BOD thought that these were necessary changes, as a membership organization it is obligated to follow the collective voice of its members.

fanofcart wrote:The AAST has always promoted itself as a "professional" organization. Not a "labor/trade" organization.

The AAST is organized as a 501(c)(6) corporation which not only obligates it to have meaningful member support for its decisions but also that it promotes common business interests. That is the definition of a trade organization. Even on the AAST membership benefits page, they define their purpose as one of advocacy. But you are correct in that they do not act like a trade organization.

fanofcart wrote: I would hope that anyone running as a candidate for the AAST board of directors would have an idea of what the AAST is.

The AAST has the ability to be a true force for the benefit of sleep technologists, but has a recent history of decisions that favor the business interests of physicians, the employers of their membership.

We have to understand the AAST to be what it is, a very nice organization for education, professional development, networking, etc. However, I cannot think of another group of employees who allow its trade organization to be so intimately comingled with their employers operationally, financially, and physically. Then when they make decisions that benefit the employers, their is outrage. That is not a logical reaction. It is to be expected.

So that was the point of my previous post. Take advantage of what the AAST is. What they do offer us is a real benefit. However, what they legally claim to be or even could be to benefit our profession as a trade organization is not reality. As soon as that is accepted, there will be fewer misunderstandings. And anyone running for the BOD needs to understand that changing the AAST into a true sleep technologist trade organization solely representing the interests of sleep technologists apart from physicians is not going to happen. If that is your interest, you will be wasting your time. Run for the office because you want to expand, improve, and amplify the organizational programs and benefits as they are currently constructed.
tiredjohnny1

Postby LadyCandy » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:43 pm

Does anyone know when they announce award winners? I'm dying to know if any people I nominated win!
LadyCandy

Postby polysomprincess » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:31 pm

ive been haunting the AAST website for new news... guess you have to just wait and be patient!
polysomprincess

Previous

Return to AAST/AARC/ASET