Call for 2011 AAST Award Nominations

American Association of Sleep Technologists
American Association for Respiratory Care
American Society of Electroneurodiagnostic Technologists

Moderators: SCNVsleep, labman2

Postby tiredjohnny1 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:02 pm

I submitted an award nomination last year for a colleague. If I remember correctly, the people that won all the awards were only the well-known AAST folks. I don't remember any public vote on those awards, only on the BOD.

LC you should submit your name for the literary award. I believe you can self-nominate.
tiredjohnny1

Postby FLtech » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:17 pm

Historically, the awards committee was comprised of all the committee chairs and it was they who chose the award winners; not the board of directors. That may have changed...but I'm not aware of it.

And yes, you can self-nominate for the awards.
In past years, we often did not have enough candidates for the awards, so please do send any nominations that are valid.
FLtech

Postby fanofcart » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:02 pm

Please please please whomever is running for an AAST office, use proper spelling, grammar and punctuation when you write up your statement that the members will read regarding why you should be elected. That's definitely a tie-breaker if not a deal-breaker with me.
fanofcart

Postby polysomprincess » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:27 pm

lol Cart... wha you dont like typos?!
polysomprincess

Postby polysomprincess » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:50 pm

sad part is I think that I was half asleep when I wrote mine... had to do a few night shifts and that had me dog tired....
polysomprincess

Postby LadyCandy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:06 pm

fanofcart wrote:Please please please whomever is running for an AAST office, use proper spelling, grammar and punctuation when you write up your statement that the members will read regarding why you should be elected. That's definitely a tie-breaker if not a deal-breaker with me.

How about people who include 'lol' in their write up? :)
LadyCandy

Postby LadyCandy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:08 pm

tiredjohnny1 wrote:I submitted an award nomination last year for a colleague. If I remember correctly, the people that won all the awards were only the well-known AAST folks. I don't remember any public vote on those awards, only on the BOD.

LC you should submit your name for the literary award. I believe you can self-nominate.

Waiting for the December article to be published. I think its better, you tell me what you think when you guys read it, k?
LadyCandy

and me

Postby labman2 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:57 pm

I just would like to see the names of all who submitted nominations for each position, then, the names of the folks selected by the nominating committee, and finally.... the total vote count for EACH AND EVERY candidate including any write-in candidates for each position.

I have been writing in a candidate for years (not myself :lol: ) and I never can tell if it is counted as we do not ever see a full disclosure of all votes tallied for each person that is nominated or entered as a write -in. How do I know it is counted at all?
labman2

Postby fanofcart » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:57 pm

LadyCandy wrote:
fanofcart wrote:Please please please whomever is running for an AAST office, use proper spelling, grammar and punctuation when you write up your statement that the members will read regarding why you should be elected. That's definitely a tie-breaker if not a deal-breaker with me.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
](*,)
fanofcart

Postby polysomprincess » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:12 pm

my thoughts exactly Lab.... although I know that it may be humiliating.... would be nice to know how many votes were cast...perhaps requests to the AAST?.... although my thoughts go to... are there even a significant amount of voters... perhaps not... would love to know how many members of the AAST are actually voting....
polysomprincess

Postby Rocklandish » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:16 pm

When does voting take place? I have to recover somewhat from xmas but I would really like to get signed up in time to vote.
Rocklandish

Postby LadyCandy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:18 pm

fanofcart wrote:
LadyCandy wrote:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
](*,)

:mrgreen:
LadyCandy

Postby Rocklandish » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:56 pm

tiredjohnny1 wrote:I submitted an award nomination last year for a colleague. If I remember correctly, the people that won all the awards were only the well-known AAST folks. I don't remember any public vote on those awards, only on the BOD.

Makes sense that they would raise their own members. Doesn't do much for uniting the industry though. There are alot of great techs, managers, and docs who might deserve an award. Too bad they chose not to join the AAST for whatever reasons.
Rocklandish

Postby LadyCandy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:07 pm

Rocklandish wrote:

Makes sense that they would raise their own members. Doesn't do much for uniting the industry though. There are alot of great techs, managers, and docs who might deserve an award. Too bad they chose not to join the AAST for whatever reasons.

If it were just public recognition, I would agree. But benefits which cost the organization money are awarded, so it stands to reason only those financially supporting the tech organization should receive those financial related rewards. No?
LadyCandy

Postby tiredjohnny1 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:23 pm

LadyCandy wrote:
Rocklandish wrote:

If it were just public recognition, I would agree. But benefits which cost the organization money are awarded, so it stands to reason only those financially supporting the tech organization should receive those financial related rewards. No?

Its probably just because they know those people better and yes they do want to promote those whom they are confident will vocally support the AAST.
You have to be a member to nominate and can only nominate a member so technically all parties are financially supporting the AAST.
tiredjohnny1

PreviousNext

Return to AAST/AARC/ASET