APT Position Papers on Exemptions, Limited Licensure

American Association of Sleep Technologists
American Association for Respiratory Care
American Society of Electroneurodiagnostic Technologists

Moderators: labman2, SCNVsleep

APT Position Papers on Exemptions, Limited Licensure

Postby mbrennen » Fri May 09, 2003 6:04 pm

Two position statements, recently approved by the APT Board of Directors are available for viewing on the APT website. They can be accessed from www.aptweb.org.

The statements, "Exemption from Existing Respiratory Care Practice Acts" and "Limited Licensure of PSG Professionals under Respiratory Care" address topics which have been considered in some states, and are likely to be considered in many more.

Please read these statements, and express your opinions in this forum, or by e-mailing me personally.

Mike Brennen, RPSGT
APT Legislative Action Committee Co-chair
mbrennen@mindspring.com
mbrennen

Postby sleepadmin » Fri May 09, 2003 6:30 pm

sleepadmin
Admin

Postby Rick » Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:03 pm

No one has an opinion on the APT position for limited licensure?
Is this like the people posting on sleepnet about the need for a grassroots organization to support the sleep technologist?
Rick

Postby NYsleepyhead » Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:18 pm

Sounds like the APT has given up, or let themselves get put in the position of having to capitulate to the bigger AARC. I think its all bunk. The AASM has the only position that I care to recognize. Go to their website and read their position on who is qualified to run a sleep study. The very clearly state where they feel "otherwise" credentialed people fit into the field.
NYsleepyhead

Postby Rick » Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:41 pm

NYSleepyhead, just what do you consider bunk? The laws in some states that to perform a PSG you must possess a Respiratory Practitioners' license? Or any regulations pertaining to healthcare?
Is having an x-ray of your hand performing healthcare?
Is having blood work drawn to find out if you are diabetic performing healthcare?
Should either of those be more or less regulated than an outpatient sleep study?
Rick

Postby Showmesleep » Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:28 am

I, personally, think it's bunk that laws require a RP license to perform a PSG. I think it's crap, actually. I agree that there should be regulations in healthcare, but not from the AARC in PSG. Sleep apnea isn't the only sleep disorder in existence.
Just my 2 cents.
Showmesleep

Postby Rick » Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:53 pm

If we each take this two cents that we give so easily and ask if we could help the APT with it, you would be amazed at how far it will go. No one on the board gets paid to do this work for us - you know, watching the various state legislatures to try and prevent these laws from being put into motion by the AARC - doing just some small part for the APT by each of us out here can add up real quick. I have done some things and gotten amazing gratitude for what did not take me very long.

The AARC charges over $225 for annual membership and has paid positions on it's boards. When we stop and wonder why or how the AARC gets these laws enacted, it is because their pockets are deeper.

Do you remember how many complaints were voiced when the APT increased dues to $75 from $60?

I keep hearing people complaining that they want a more professional organization to represent them and care for them and limit idiots from getting into the field. How much are people willing to spend to have that type of organization?

Sorry about ranting on so much...
Rick

Postby NYsleepyhead » Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:26 am

The part that I consider "bunk" is the part where respiratory care boards full of respiratory care professionals and pulmonologists try to regulate sleep medicine and sleep laboratories.

Last time I checked this was a multidisciplinary field. It is not "owned" or "operated" and therefore should not be regulated by anything but sleep professionals. Look at the way that sleep docs are organized. Neither the boards of internal medicine and pulmonary disease or the board of neurology and psychiatry has any specific hold over this field. Nor should they. There is a separate board for sleep medicine and so sleep medicine is a distinct field which employs professionals from each discipline. Makes sense right?

The same regulatory system should be in place to deal with polysomnography. It is the only thing that makes sense. That means a board that brings together technical personell from each involved field (respiratory care, electroneurodiagnostics, etc). The only group that does this is the apt. The aarc is not capable of doing this. They are respiratory care professionals by definition, they are not polysomnographers. I keep saying this but ask the aasm and absm who they feel are the only qualified personell for running sleep studies and doing polysomnography. Its polysomnographers! RT schools teach respiratory care, not polysomnography. Why then, should they stick their noses into polysomnography? Could be the smell of $$$

Rant rant rant. Blah blah blah. Hopefully this spices up the forum. At sleepnet the mere thought of this thread and this post would have gotten it sensored to dreamland...
NYsleepyhead

Postby NYsleepyhead » Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:29 am

I must really like to hear myself talk (type) because I am responding to my own post. Sad, very sad indeed. I just want to comment that normally I would have started my clock to see how long it took for sandman to delete my post. Thanks binary sleep!!! You ROCK :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
NYsleepyhead

Postby Rick » Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:37 pm

NY Sleepyhead,

Yep, I agree with your first post but not the second, it isn't all that sad that you were the first to respond to your own posting.

The biggest problem that I see with the APT is that they have started out behind the AARC. The RTs have been able to develop state chapters and influence at the state legislative level while the APT is trying to get by with volunteer officers.

I whole heartedly agree that the AARC smells money in trying to increase the numbers of members who would pay their high levels of dues.

And yes, Binary Sleep does indeed Rock! :P
Rick

Return to AAST/AARC/ASET