I will not renew my membership
19%
I was never a member
14%

Total votes : 36

this just in

Postby labman2 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:31 pm

http://www.sleepreviewmag.com/sleep_rep ... -05_02.asp

“The AAST recognizes how important it is for sleep professionals to unite at the local level to achieve common goals,” said AAST President Melinda Trimble, RST, RPSGT (bolding by me)

and so it begins.....
labman2

Postby Jayhawkhenry » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:54 pm

Six AAST board members jumped onto the RST bandwagon in the first wave. The other 5 members have not, which might explain some things.

This new paper credential was also quickly added behind their names on the AAST site. (I refer to it as a paper credential because no one has ever Earned it by taking the exam, which has not been given yet.)

AASM claims the number of RPSGTs who paid the $25 for an RST certificate, shows the support and validity of the RST. I know some of you have chosen to purchase the RST, but until it is actually given and validated is it really a relavent credential to use?
Jayhawkhenry

Postby RPSGT88athome » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:13 pm

Henry,

I bought the RST credential to satisfy any future AASM docs who are interested in that certification. I have no delusion of the RST actually meaning something. The fact is, I value my original lifetime RPSGT certification because it was earned. I have also been asking BRPT for an advanced credential for oh...how many years has it been now? Forever. I do not desire fake credentials. I have asked for a more difficult, advanced level exam/credential to earn. It seems no one is interested in that. Nor is anyone interested in providng a true Masters level program in Sleep Medicine here in the United States. I want to do all these things but the opportunities are not there. So I spend my time reading the journals and contemplating...and binary.

RPSGT88
RPSGT88athome

Postby Amykr » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:14 pm

No but if the AASm requires that credential rather than the RPSGT for accreditation than at least I have the piece of paper, which happens to be a very expensive piece of paper since I do not believe it has any other intrinsic value.

But since I like my lab and my job and I am trying to protect both I figure it was worth the money.
Amykr

And me

Postby labman2 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:06 pm

I paid because I thought of it as a payback for folks breaking their commitment. If they cant stand by their word to me, then why should I be loyal. I know some folks are able to overlook this breach, but for whatever reasons, I could not. I do not apologize for this.

. And to add to the breach were the disengenuois reasons for why it had to be done. Rather than just apoligizing and moving on,

It also was a savings now in case it becomes the top dog

The RST, and unfortunately , the RPSGT certificates are no big deal to me right now. Years ago, I was be proud to display the RPSGT in my office. Now, I can not tell you where either of the RPSGT or RST certs are.

That being said, I think the RST will ultinately be the better one as they have the reources to "get there"

They also seem to be made up of sleep industry people, not a management company with no sleep experience.

Again, the BRPT was rolling along fine in my minduntil they handed over the reigns to folks with different business goals. and look how things have turned out. The stakes are not high for the management company. They have several other clients. SO... they can push till it breaks and then walk away to their several other clients. The stakes for a license and profession managed by sleep people, is their livlihood. So, I think they ultimately will win out and do a fine job. (but this doesnt mean I aprroved of the hostile move)

But, the AAST I believe has an important role if it chooses to include the techs in the process. If they do not, they will find that they are the next BRPT, ripe for someone to compete with, and ultimately without members.
They should be informed that though our good grace, they have one last stab at getting it right and playing above board with the membership that entrusts them with their power. If I see no improvemnt, then this will be the final year of my trying to work within the AAST. I will be looking for fair and open elections and hope they are reading this!

Lets face it, the RST is here now. So the time to rant against it is over, and the time to make sure it is a meanuingful and thorough certification is upun us.
Let's get folks that care about the field into the AAST leadership and demand that both of these certifications are certifications we are proud of....

And If that happens, if they symbolize best practices, superb sleep medicine knowledge, and a desire for continued educational growth, then I will look through my drawer clutter, find the certificates, and once again place them proudly on my office wall.

Until then it is Brendan Duffy SOS (Save Our Sleep )

Labman2
labman2

Additional

Postby labman2 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:30 pm

I do not want my words to be misinterpretred by new techs that have just worked hard passed the RPSGT . You SHOULD be proud of what you accolmplished. It takes work and dedication to pass the RPSGT exam.

It is something you aimed for, worked for, and succeeded! Well done.

While I am dismayed at the BRPT board, I am very happy for all the new techs that applied themselves and passed this test which is still the gold standard for sleep techs presently.

I am just not proud of how the powers that are on the board have allowed so much upheaval that we now are where we are,

But, if you are a new RPSGT, you should be damn proud of what you have done! The test is not the problem.

And if I was a new tech, I would be framing it and placing it on the wall!

Job well done to you all! and I salute you!

So, I am proud of my RPSGT, but of the RPSGT management and board, -not at all! - had to clarify!
labman2

Postby stars » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:20 am

correction
Until then it is Brendan Duffy SOS (Save Our Sleep )
Until then it is ......................PASTA SOS/Pasta Save our Sleep/
stars

Postby somnonaut » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:02 am

I wonder if the ABSM will make it mandatory, that in order to hold the RST one must be a member in good standing of either the AASM or AAST. I would if I was on the money wagon.
somnonaut

Purpose statement

Postby labman2 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:47 am

PURPOSE
To provide a voice for the professionals who ensure the safe and accurate assessment and treatment of sleepdisorders.CHAPTER 1

This is the AAST Purpose Statement......

We need to find a way to make the statement , a reality!

It still amazes me how there is rarely a AAST or BRPT event in the Northeast! -

That alone isolates the thinking and communication to a certain degree. !
labman2

OK

Postby labman2 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:25 pm

So... item number one.

In reading through the AAST by-laws, it appears that in order to have a successful write in vote candidate elected , you need at least to garner 20% of the ELIGIBLE TO VOTE MEMBERSHIP! YIKES!!

Do they ever get 20 % of the membership to vote in total, much less for one candidate?

If this is correct in how it is set-up, it needs review by the Board and an amendement to change this structure in the name of fair elections.

If anyone out here is on the board of the AAST, or knows the election process, and can shed more light in this , please do so.

I also believe that the raw voting totals, vote total for every candidate, and percentage of membership that voted should be made public to the membership that pays the dues for representation by these folks.

Thanks

Labman2
labman2

Postby polysomprincess » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:30 pm

Henry,

we've talked about this before.... we can make a change and do it from within.... i have talked myself out of quiting on numerous occasions...even running for board... but i am not willing to give up yet... seriously lets keep on keepin...

lia :D
polysomprincess

Re: OK

Postby somnonaut » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:48 pm

labman2 wrote:So... item number one.

In reading through the AAST by-laws, it appears that in order to have a successful write in vote candidate elected , you need at least to garner 20% of the ELIGIBLE TO VOTE MEMBERSHIP! YIKES!!

Do they ever get 20 % of the membership to vote in total, much less for one candidate?

If this is correct in how it is set-up, it needs review by the Board and an amendement to change this structure in the name of fair elections.

If anyone out here is on the board of the AAST, or knows the election process, and can shed more light in this , please do so.

I also believe that the raw voting totals, vote total for every candidate, and percentage of membership that voted should be made public to the membership that pays the dues for representation by these folks.

Thanks

Labman2

You and your requests for proper representation. C'mon, what do you think this is? Shut up and fork over the mooola $$$$$$.
somnonaut

Postby polysomprincess » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:51 pm

I agree the voting totals should be posted!
polysomprincess

so

Postby labman2 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:06 pm

Time to draft a petition and see if the AAST is on the level of wanting to be the "gold standard" for tech representation.

If so, we need the board to review this policy, and do not make it so impossible to have a fair election. Otherwise, it will seem as if it is rigged to bestow the officerships on friends.

I woul like to believe that they can understand the concern. If not, then perhaps we will learn a lottle bit about the AAST. :wink:
labman2

Re: so

Postby tcr104 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:38 pm

labman2 wrote:Time to draft a petition and see if the AAST is on the level of wanting to be the "gold standard" for tech representation.

If so, we need the board to review this policy, and do not make it so impossible to have a fair election. Otherwise, it will seem as if it is rigged to bestow the officerships on friends.

I woul like to believe that they can understand the concern. If not, then perhaps we will learn a lottle bit about the AAST. :wink:

The statement I am pasting below was printed in the 2010 A2Zzz, and is a result of a question about the elections process. Since this was printed, I note that AAST has formed an ethics committee, but there is still a lot of fog around the election process and how nominees are chosen.

"To ensure that the AAST board of directors continues to pursue
the best interests of the membership, an independent Conflict of
Interest (COI) Review Panel consisting of AAST members and
non-members will be assembled to perform a thorough review of
the AAST Conflict of Interest Policy. I will serve as an ex-officio
on this panel, which will not involve other members of the board of
directors. The goal is for the panel to provide the AAST board of
directors with objective recommendations that represent the diverse
views and opinions of leaders in allied health professions. Once the
work of the panel is complete, the board will take appropriate steps
to establish a new COI Policy for members who serve in leadership
roles on the board of directors and committees. A separate body will