11%
I will not renew my membership
19%
I was never a member
14%

Total votes : 36

Re: AAST Membership renewal?

Postby Rocklandish » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:45 am

Jayhawkhenry wrote:I just received an email about renewing my AAST membership. I have been a member for over 25 years, but I am not sure the AAST really represents me anymore. At one time I felt pride in being a member of what I always thought was the professional society of RPSGT credential holders. Now I find the AAST leadership is willing to be and support less than I thought. Maybe my expectations were too high.

As a member, I have not been happy with some decisions made by the leadership and the lack of communication with the membership. No one bothers to ask the membership what direction they want thier professional society to go in or support. Now I need to make a decision about continuing to pay $100 a year to an organization that is unsupportive of my credential, non responsive to the concerns of the membership and totally uncommunicative.

What do you think?

Jayhawk, Honestly as a "newer" tech I am having all sorts of problems deciding where to put my loyalties. Which group do you think best represents us?
Rocklandish

Postby Jayhawkhenry » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:56 am

Rocklandish, I am sticking with my RPSGT and the AAST. I have felt that change for the AAST must come from within and I have been working with folks for that end. I have had long conversations with many in AAST leadership, but not seen any true action yet and have become a bit frustrated over the whole thing.

I will grant some folks the benefit of the doubt for a while, but like the man said in "the Outlaw Josey Wales", "don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining". There is always hope to redirect the AAST with the help of folks like labman2 & polysomprincess. I just needed to be reminded of it, because I was tired and lost sight for a few minutes. We can work to provide some much needed transparency and to regain the trust of the membership but it is going to take effort.

I renewed my membership, how about you?
Jayhawkhenry

Postby LadyCandy » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:12 am

Yep. I'm no quitter.

When the going gets tough, the tough umm, do something about it? :)
LadyCandy

Postby JHawks93 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:53 am

Received my email yesterday and wasn't sure what do to. Thanks Jayhawk and Lady for snapping me out of the fog. I'm going to stick with them for at least the next year. Let' see where this goes then I'll have to decide if I want to continue after that.
JHawks93

Postby somnonaut » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:59 am

somnonaut

Postby respbarb » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:01 pm

Oh Strawberri, I probably got your poster! :lol: LOL. I got one and hadn't requested it that I know of!!!
That nonsense happens all the time. It would have been smarter just to send it to all members- not have us have to request one.
But anyway- following the conversation regarding renewal and have been on the fence- asking myself to justify the expence.

Probably will renew, but not enthused about it
respbarb

Postby labman2 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:07 pm

respbarb wrote:Oh Strawberri, I probably got your poster! :lol: LOL. I got one and hadn't requested it that I know of!!!
That nonsense happens all the time. It would have been smarter just to send it to all members- not have us have to request one.
But anyway- following the conversation regarding renewal and have been on the fence- asking myself to justify the expence.

Probably will renew, but not enthused about it

I dont think any of us are enthused about it... but let's try and do what we can to make it a true voice of the techs... and after this year, if we do not see any substantial changes, then I would recommend we plug the plug on future donations. I hear this new group is more open to listening than past groups. I am willing to see if what I have heard results in action- not just hopes!

Labman2
labman2

Postby Rocklandish » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:02 am

Jayhawkhenry wrote:Rocklandish, I am sticking with my RPSGT and the AAST. I have felt that change for the AAST must come from within and I have been working with folks for that end. I have had long conversations with many in AAST leadership, but not seen any true action yet and have become a bit frustrated over the whole thing.

I will grant some folks the benefit of the doubt for a while, but like the man said in "the Outlaw Josey Wales", "don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining". There is always hope to redirect the AAST with the help of folks like labman2 & polysomprincess. I just needed to be reminded of it, because I was tired and lost sight for a few minutes. We can work to provide some much needed transparency and to regain the trust of the membership but it is going to take effort.

I am in the process of joining ASET for personal growth and career opportunity. My wife is finishing up her Cnim and WILL pursue the Rpsgt. I earned the Rpsgt and I plan to fight for it's growth. For financial reasons I have not joined the AAST as of yet. I am planning on fixing that soon. When I first questioned the new group(s) I felt that an important element of the AAST was being left out. That is the member elections. They are the only board in sleep to have an election process(to my knowledge). I do not see any reason to support another group in which the present board picks the next. That just produces years of the same politics.

Personally I am still on the fence about the RST. All of my CEUs have been sitting in an addressed envelope for weeks. Sigh

So Duff, Ms. Poly, Henry what can I do from my end to help?
Rocklandish

Postby labman2 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:40 pm

Rocklandish wrote:
Jayhawkhenry wrote:Rocklandish, I am sticking with my RPSGT and the AAST. I have felt that change for the AAST must come from within and I have been working with folks for that end. I have had long conversations with many in AAST leadership, but not seen any true action yet and have become a bit frustrated over the whole thing.

I am in the process of joining ASET for personal growth and career opportunity. My wife is finishing up her Cnim and WILL pursue the Rpsgt. I earned the Rpsgt and I plan to fight for it's growth. For financial reasons I have not joined the AAST as of yet. I am planning on fixing that soon. When I first questioned the new group(s) I felt that an important element of the AAST was being left out. That is the member elections. They are the only board in sleep to have an election process(to my knowledge). I do not see any reason to support another group in which the present board picks the next. That just produces years of the same politics.

Personally I am still on the fence about the RST. All of my CEUs have been sitting in an addressed envelope for weeks. Sigh

So Duff, Ms. Poly, Henry what can I do from my end to help?

You can do just what you are doing.... be aware, compare, ask questions, believe, and if you join the AAST, you are entitled (and it should be our duty) as a MEMBER to assist the AAST in making it a true representative of the membership. After being on the fence, I am willing to rejoin once more. Not because I believe yet that true changes will happen,- that will only come via true actions via the AAST board, but , if I am not a member, I have not done the very bare minimum to assist the process. I hear that the wakeup call has been received by all of the groups.. and we are already seeing things that never would have come about so quickly without the current upheaval. So... even before the first test is given, the RST has brought around a great dialogue of all that needs a-fixin in the BRPT and the AAST . And to me, folks that would join the NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK Tech Association really are lost. Not because the idea was bad, but because of the perosn that ened up as the "spokesperson" An abrasive crowned king with all of 5 years sleep experience, and no other past, a partner with obvious designs on making some money via running BRPT courses, and several Facebook flash mob sleep groupies! When the unrequested certificates are all delivered, and then the talk comes to annual fees for this upstart, the true and few handful of believers will be saying "where did everyone go?"

So, stay alert, and I think all of this stuff going on is good, PASTA, SPA, BRPT, AAST, ABSM, as long as in the end the tech is smart enough to figure out why folks are doing what they are doing. I think most of this binary group can do so, and they are more than a facebook gossip group, they are true clinicians with their patients, their craft, and sleep medicine as number one priorities- not self gains.

Ughh !!! another War and Peace posting length! :wink:
labman2

Postby Msharpe76 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:49 am

Speaking of renewal, and late posters, is anyone else missing their a2zzz issue? Half the members only join for it, and they're pushing renewal, better hop to on my magazine...
Msharpe76

Postby sleepmac » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:09 am

somnonaut wrote:At least I get to vote who is in the chairs in the AAST. The BRPT doesn't even recognize the credential holders as stake holders. We get Nuthin, not even the ability to vote the supposed leaders out. nuthin, nuthin, nuthin.

When all else fails, PASTA is the way to go.

I was on Facebook a few minutes ago and was unable to find PASTA. What is wrong with my search?
Thank you,
Dan
sleepmac

hey Dan

Postby labman2 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:33 am

Hi Dan. Look under facebook page search and search using Professional Allied Sleep Tech Association
labman2

Postby sleepmac » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:03 pm

Labman, thank you. I found it. I'm scratching my head, as I don't see much recent activity?

Dan Weinhold
sleepmac

Postby labman2 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:00 am

sleepmac wrote:Labman, thank you. I found it. I'm scratching my head, as I don't see much recent activity?

Dan Weinhold

nice set of response to the BRPT latest missive and a nice response to the proliferation of shady dentist marketing last week.

Feel free to join in and "open a can o worms"! :lol:

Basically was started to give a voice to folks that felt SPA was not allowing any opposing or differing viewpoints... as well as anything else folks wanted to discuss. All we ask is to debate with respect. We can take differing opinions here as we are not involved withe any of the entities so one group gets a free pass!

Thanks for stopping by
labman2

Postby Sleepy in the South » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:17 am

Msharpe76 wrote:Speaking of renewal, and late posters, is anyone else missing their a2zzz issue? Half the members only join for it, and they're pushing renewal, better hop to on my magazine...

I emailed AAST about that and they said the September issue is having printing problems and should be out next week. The CEU credit deadline for that issue is being moved to a later date so it gives us a chance to complete it without rushing. They also stated the december issue should be on time, hopefully.

Starting next year, each magazine issue is worth 2 ceu's instead of just 1.5. I may have to bite the bullet and renew because that's 8 credits worth. Damn
Sleepy in the South

PreviousNext

Return to AAST/AARC/ASET