11%
I will not renew my membership
19%
I was never a member
14%

Total votes : 36

Postby labman2 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:54 pm

Sleepy in the South wrote:
Msharpe76 wrote:Speaking of renewal, and late posters, is anyone else missing their a2zzz issue? Half the members only join for it, and they're pushing renewal, better hop to on my magazine...

I emailed AAST about that and they said the September issue is having printing problems and should be out next week. The CEU credit deadline for that issue is being moved to a later date so it gives us a chance to complete it without rushing. They also stated the december issue should be on time, hopefully.

Starting next year, each magazine issue is worth 2 ceu's instead of just 1.5. I may have to bite the bullet and renew because that's 8 credits worth. Damn

8 credits is great but I wonder why they just didnt go to 10 CEU and market it that you can get all your mandated yearly RPSGT credits via your membership each year with no expensive travel etc.
labman2

Update

Postby labman2 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:56 pm

While I renewed my membership for the past year. I doubt that I will do so going forward due to the following

1- I dislike the online magazine and would rather the paper copy that I can read and review away from the PC or other electronic devices.

2- I would like the election results to be more open and available but the board has decided the staus quo is just fine. I asked them to consider posting all results including write-in votes so all votes are accounted for, but my request was deemed unneccessary.

3- I would like the AAST sleep text 2nd edition reviewers to receive the text books they were promised but never recieved. They were told after their diligent and tedious efforts that "this was an error and they would not be recieving their free texts". The error appears to be from the publisher of the text. But, even if it was a publisher error to promise these books , the AAST should be there for their members and either talk to the publisher to live up to their email regarding the agreement, - or provide copies for the reviewers at the expense of AAST if necessary for the reviewers that were told they would get a book. Especially since the editors received multiple copies!

So... I probably will end my membership of several years and can no longer encourage others to join going forward...

I also will look at an alternative organization to represent techs and have elections with total results available to the membership of this new entity.

I really tried to work from within even in the face of several disappointments with the AAST. But, even I have to admit it may be time to abandon ship here and start anew

Labman2

-PS- if you are interested in the idea of forming an alternative and independent sleep tech organization, feel free to drop me a PM with your thoughts and ideas....
labman2

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:59 pm

Thank you for posting item #3, I wondered why the AAST directors were ignoring me at that meeting announcing the new text and where my copy was, I had been happy that the hours, actually days, I had spent reviewing and correcting were being rewarded with a book that had my name in it, only to be dashed upon the rocks of despair once again by the AAST.
Good luck.
Rick

Postby somnonaut » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:56 pm

I fell for the text editor trick the first time around, and passed at this one, even though it was presented as a free textbook to me too. (once burned, twice a fool)
Hint: The first thing I would think a fledgling organization can do to make it relevant is to create something of value to tech.
I propose the same thing I told Lippinkott back at the creation of the first edition of the text, the field needs a true Primer, not text books. We need something totally structured around the job, how to do every aspect in short , sweet prose. A primer.

My exposure to a Primer was for my 500 level Priniciples of Psychophysiology class in college, where we jumped between the "Primer in Psychophysiology" and Kandell and Scwartz "Principles of Neuroscience" textbook
The primer had the core fundamentals of what to do, and the textbook has the beef to substantiate it. We also used a compendium of journal articles etc.

We need a step by step primer.
Make it and they shall come.
somnonaut

Postby somnonaut » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:58 pm

Oops Neurocience should be Neural Science.

And now you do not even need a publisher to publish. I would not even create a paper version if you catch what I am laying down?
somnonaut

Postby labman2 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:15 pm

somnonaut wrote:Oops Neurocience should be Neural Science.

And now you do not even need a publisher to publish. I would not even create a paper version if you catch what I am laying down?

BTW- what ever happened to Nic Butkov and why was he not involved on the revision? Just curious......

Labman2
labman2

Postby bduce » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:15 am

Labman
I wonder if that may be related to his voicing of problems with the AASM manual and the problems associated with their push to dumb it down without being mindful of the clinical consequences?

He hasn't exactly been a cheerleader for the AAST and the AASM. Hmmmm...........
bduce

Re: Update

Postby Sleepy in the South » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:12 am

labman2 wrote:While I renewed my membership for the past year. I doubt that I will do so going forward due to the following

1- I dislike the online magazine and would rather the paper copy that I can read and review away from the PC or other electronic devices.

2- I would like the election results to be more open and available but the board has decided the staus quo is just fine. I asked them to consider posting all results including write-in votes so all votes are accounted for, but my request was deemed unneccessary.

3- I would like the AAST sleep text 2nd edition reviewers to receive the text books they were promised but never recieved. They were told after their diligent and tedious efforts that "this was an error and they would not be recieving their free texts". The error appears to be from the publisher of the text. But, even if it was a publisher error to promise these books , the AAST should be there for their members and either talk to the publisher to live up to their email regarding the agreement, - or provide copies for the reviewers at the expense of AAST if necessary for the reviewers that were told they would get a book. Especially since the editors received multiple copies!

So... I probably will end my membership of several years and can no longer encourage others to join going forward...

I also will look at an alternative organization to represent techs and have elections with total results available to the membership of this new entity.

I really tried to work from within even in the face of several disappointments with the AAST. But, even I have to admit it may be time to abandon ship here and start anew

Labman2

-PS- if you are interested in the idea of forming an alternative and independent sleep tech organization, feel free to drop me a PM with your thoughts and ideas....

Labman,

Re: #2, what is the current process? If I remember correctly, you were a election candidate right? If so, I hope they at least disclosed all the results to the candidates and answered all your questions. I read the binary post about you running for a seat after the polls were closed. I normally don't vote because I don't really know any of the candidates but at least we binary folks know you from your posts and comments. Please run again next term because we NEED a voice FOR the techs.
Sleepy in the South

Thanks

Postby labman2 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:29 pm

Thanks Sleepy- for the kind words.

yes, I did make an attempt to run for a director seat and did not garner enough votes to accomplish that task.

I received a call after the voting that told me what percentage of votes I recieved and the total raw number of votes I recieved.

I asked them to post ALL the votes (including write in votes) so that we can be sure all votes were accounted for. I also believe an outside entity should be managing the returned votes- I am not sure of who is present to oversee the voting process when the votes are tallied to make sure of the integrity of the process. I would like to know more about who is present during the vote tally and if their is an outside auditor involved.

I would like to know the details of what the text book editors received for their efforts and how they came to be selected.Did they receive a fee, books, sales royalties etc.? What did AAST as an organization receive as far as payment for endoring the text? I would like to know how much board members take as honorariums/fees for speaking at meetings etc. Yes, they should be paid for their time and effort... but the amount of such should be public as this is a dues paying membership.

I probably will not run again as I have lost confidence in this organization and will not be renewing my membership.

The benefits of joining were to have a representative voice, a great hard copy sleep tech magazine, and a nice listing of my CEU's. I now feel only one of those benefits still exists-the CEU listing.

I think I will save my money and spend time with the folks here on binary and out on the Facebook site I started ( PASTA) Professional Allied Sleep Tech Association because to me, those folks on binary and PASTA are more representative of sleep techs and the concerns we face than what I see on the AAST agenda. The cozy living arrangements of AASM and AAST make me skeptical that they can produce needed changes.

Anyway- Onward and Upward!

Thanks again! - and dont be a stranger out here! :wink:

Labman2
labman2

Good News

Postby labman2 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:58 pm

I received word this morning from the text publisher that they now will be sending the texts to all of the reviewers! :D :D :D

This is the correct move in light of the agreement as it was written. I am happy that they have decided to honor their word and I hope all the reviewers enjoy their texts! You all deserve the copies and our thanks for all your work in this project!

I am disappointed that it appears the AAST could not handle this and secure these copies for their reviewers without these postings and emails from a few AAST members to the publisher! :wink:

Much thanks to the publisher for the quick resolution and the promise that each reviewer will receive a copy in quick fashion as they are being mailed from the warehouse!

Best wishes!

Labman2
labman2

Postby strawberri » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:13 pm

YAY!!!!!! thanks so much labman, this is why we need everyone on Binary and PASTA!!

OUR VOICES are heard when we come together...this proves it!!
strawberri

Postby labman2 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:21 pm

strawberri wrote:YAY!!!!!! thanks so much labman, this is why we need everyone on Binary and PASTA!!

OUR VOICES are heard when we come together...this proves it!!

I prefer to hang out at the beach house :wink: :D with the Sleep People! -less drama and tension.... and a few sleep quizzes to keep folks sharp! :wink: :D :D

Enjoy! and thansk to all involved in this great text! I was proud to see so many good folks contribute to the finished product when I glanced at a copy at the Sleep Conference in Boston!
labman2

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:03 pm

THANK YOU LABMAN2!!!
=D> =D> =D>
I received a copy of this book and an email telling me thanks, I am sure it was all due to your raising your voice to those who cared.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Rick

Great!

Postby labman2 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:48 pm

I am happy that you received your book as you were promised and proud of all of my sleep friends that did the heavy lifting as reviewers of this text!

Enjoy! - and thanks for your ongoing contributions to the sleep field!

It is a shame that the AAST didnt push this issue themselves when it was brought to their attention.

But... all is well that ends well! :wink:
labman2

Previous

Return to AAST/AARC/ASET