American Association of Sleep Technologists
American Association for Respiratory Care
American Society of Electroneurodiagnostic Technologists

Moderators: SCNVsleep, labman2

Digital A2zzz

Postby LadyCandy » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:48 am

For those who are no longer AAST members, but might care:

A2Zzz Transforms to Meet Membership Needs

The AAST Board of Directors is committed to the sound management of both A2Zzz and the AAST's finances. Recognizing that economic realities continue to make it difficult to sustain a print publication, the Board has been conducting a thorough evaluation of the magazine. As part of this process, members were invited to complete a survey in August to provide the Board with valuable feedback about A2Zzz.

The Board of Directors carefully reviewed the survey results and noted the following:

95% consider the magazine to be an important benefit of their membership
18% are willing to pay an extra subscription fee to continue receiving print copies
80% would support a decision to make A2Zzz an online-only publication with free access for members

The Board concluded that members overwhelmingly want to continue receiving A2Zzz as a free benefit of membership. However, members also want the AAST leadership to make wise decisions with the organization's financial resources. After careful consideration of these survey results and the overall needs of the AAST, the Board of Directors determined that A2Zzz will become an online-only publication in 2012.

The Board remains committed to ensuring that A2Zzz is a premier educational resource for sleep technologists. Recognizing the magazine's educational value to the profession, the Board also decided to increase the number of CECs that members can earn by reading the magazine. Starting in 2012, members will be able to earn 2.0 CECs per issue - for a total of up to 8.00 AAST CECs per year.

New Digital Format

The Board also decided that as A2Zzz makes the transition to an online-only publication, it should be available to members in a more dynamic format. The new enhanced online edition of

A2Zzz will allow you to:

"Turn the page" by clicking on the corner of the magazine
Quickly browse the content and search for keywords
Click on an ad to visit the company's website
View the magazine on any mobile or tablet device
And much more!

Sneak Preview

A2ZzzVolume 20, Number 2, has been converted to the enhanced online edition and is available now so that you can preview these exciting new changes. Volume 20, Number 3, will be available online next week - look for the new issue alert to arrive in your email inbox. Members also will be mailed print copies of Volume 20, Number 3, and Volume 20, Number 4, which will be the final print editions of A2Zzz.

As the AAST embraces a new online-only format for A2Zzz, members can continue to expect each issue of the magazine to be filled with relevant, insightful and educational articles written by and for sleep technologists. Go online and read A2Zzz today!
LadyCandy

Postby somnonaut » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:20 am

And membership now cost 50% less due to the this immense cost savings.

[I just had to]
somnonaut

Postby strawberri » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:58 am

LOL...I wish!!!!
strawberri

Postby o0rangeo » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:25 am

I second that :idea:
o0rangeo

Postby Sleepy in the South » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:37 am

Cheap asses!!!!!!!!

They left out the question "Do you prefer a online version or a printed version?" I voted to keep it as is because I like to have something in my hand while reading it because we don't have internet access at work.

They went the cheapest route. That was THE only reason I subscribed to the AAST was for the magazines. They just lost a member but I doubt they care because they are saving a butt load of money.

Next up is your certificates will be emailed to you and you can print it out at home. Save money on paper for them.
Sleepy in the South

Postby Rocklandish » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:40 am

Sleepy in the South wrote:Cheap asses!!!!!!!!

They left out the question "Do you prefer a online version or a printed version?" I voted to keep it as is because I like to have something in my hand while reading it because we don't have internet access at work.

They went the cheapest route. That was THE only reason I subscribed to the AAST was for the magazines. They just lost a member but I doubt they care because they are saving a butt load of money.

Next up is your certificates will be emailed to you and you can print it out at home. Save money on paper for them.

Why can't you print it Sleepy?
Rocklandish

Postby Sleepy in the South » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:53 am

I've been doing that this whole year because for some insane reason I have not recieved one copy this year yet because they mailed it to the wrong address. They keep telling me that they corrected it but I still have not recieved anything.

I hate reading lose paper copied printed "magazines." Maybe i'm just old fashion (mid thirties) but I just hate it. I also prefer sitting on my couch or bed reading then at my computer or lugging a laptop.

Maybe it's just me......
Sleepy in the South

Postby somnonaut » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:57 am

I leave them in my...Library, yeah that's what I call it, my library.
somnonaut

Postby LadyCandy » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:53 am

Not referring to anyone specific...but I sometimes think some people would find a reason to complain about anything, regardless of perspective. Like, if the AAST, BRPT, OR AASM sent everyone in sleep medicine 100 dollars tomorrow...how many people would complain about it not being enough money? :) You know some would. Perspective and entitlement...I think these things are out of control, and not just in sleep, in society at large. :)
LadyCandy

Postby Rocklandish » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:01 am

Not referring to anyone specific...

You make me laugh :lol: 8) :shock:
Rocklandish

Postby somnonaut » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:43 pm

Yeah, entitlements like corporations thinking they are ENTITLED to make a profit. No, they are entitled to start a corporation to TRY and make a profit, but NOTHING ENTITLES them to make a profit. Jeesh, these make believe persons (corporations) really get me pissed off with their entitlements.

And BTW, if membership driven, dues paying organization WAS to send everyone $100, I sure as hell would complain about where the money was coming from.
somnonaut

Postby fanofcart » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:01 am

I've said it before and I'll say it again: This is a bad idea not to send a printed version. I've seen this done before, and things just are not read as much when it's emailed vs. sending out a paper copy. Good grief, for $100 they should be able to mail the A2Z out, as well as send a poster for Sleep Technologist Recognition Week.
fanofcart

Postby Jayhawkhenry » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:36 am

Agree, they should stick with print at this time
Jayhawkhenry

Postby LadyCandy » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:01 am

fanofcart wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again: This is a bad idea not to send a printed version. I've seen this done before, and things just are not read as much when it's emailed vs. sending out a paper copy. Good grief, for $100 they should be able to mail the A2Z out, as well as send a poster for Sleep Technologist Recognition Week.

I'm convinced a large percentage of people who receive it do not read anything but the CEC portion, and fill out the paperwork accordingly. Most techs don't seem to find that nerdy educational crap interesting. They'd rather read cosmo, or ummm...what do kids read today? Teenbeat? :)
LadyCandy

Postby labman2 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:32 am

LadyCandy wrote:
fanofcart wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again: This is a bad idea not to send a printed version. I've seen this done before, and things just are not read as much when it's emailed vs. sending out a paper copy. Good grief, for $100 they should be able to mail the A2Z out, as well as send a poster for Sleep Technologist Recognition Week.

I'm convinced a large percentage of people who receive it do not read anything but the CEC portion, and fill out the paperwork accordingly. Most techs don't seem to find that nerdy educational crap interesting. They'd rather read cosmo, or ummm...what do kids read today? Teenbeat? :)

And it is a shame they dont read the magazine... cause there is some great articles in it! But, they prefer to wait till a patient arrives with a certain problem, and then post to Facebook pals (usually as lost as them as far as reading anything worthwhie) for an answer. I enjoy perusing the discussions for amusement. ie... dateline 2011...."hey folks, a guy just came in fro a PSG with some new thing called Provent" :shock: :roll: and then the other minions reply " gee, that sounds interesting, never heard of it! " I wanna scream and tell em all get off facebook, read a sleep magazine, visit binary etc... but it does amuse me to read through these folks acting like Columbus discovering the new world and informing all the others (about 3 years late :lol: :lol: ! )
labman2

Next

Return to AAST/AARC/ASET