Digital A2zzz

American Association of Sleep Technologists
American Association for Respiratory Care
American Society of Electroneurodiagnostic Technologists

Moderators: SCNVsleep, labman2

Postby fanofcart » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:43 am

Well if you thought that few people read it when it was mailed out, then fewer people will read it now.
It's a shame, because it has improved so much in quality in the last few years.
fanofcart

Postby somnonaut » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:30 pm

Yes,
With Jon Atkinsons' column on EKG.
somnonaut

Postby LadyCandy » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:02 pm

I do like the new browsing feature for the magazine online. Super neat.

Hey, we're killing less trees, horray!
LadyCandy

Postby somnonaut » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:31 pm

If they make Jon's column to be more interactive and allow playing of waveforms instead of snapshots, I might give up my "library" reading for it, but otherwise I still like it in the library.
somnonaut

Postby Sleepy in the South » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:40 am

LadyCandy wrote:I do like the new browsing feature for the magazine online. Super neat.

Going green.....

I never thought about it. I just thought it was cost cutting for them and making a buck. Alright, using less paper and ink for the "going green" purpose makes me less pissed off.
Sleepy in the South

Postby strawberri » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:51 am

What happens when the advertisers of magazines going digital realize the people wanting to keep/print certain articles or copies of said magazines are only printing the sections of interest...not the ads?

They will begin pulling the ads and eventually the magazines will go belly up.

My take on it anyway. I like to hold a MAGAZINE and read it...not sit at the computer and read one...makes me dizzy and hurts my eyes. I stare at one four nights a week...that's enough.

I know...I'm old and I hate change...at least that's what my friends say! But I like A2Zzz...so I guess I will read what articles interest me on the computer and forget the rest. And nope, I don't have the fancy phones, Kindles, or the rest of the "hand held" reader stuff. :wink:

(Note the "I hate change" statement - and I also like to keep the loggers working)
strawberri

Postby LadyCandy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:25 am

Sleepy in the South wrote:
LadyCandy wrote:I do like the new browsing feature for the magazine online. Super neat.

Going green.....

I never thought about it. I just thought it was cost cutting for them and making a buck. Alright, using less paper and ink for the "going green" purpose makes me less pissed off.

*has heart attack* *defibs self* O. M. G. Someone admitted to seeing something in a way that I brought up. *snaps polaroid* Landmark occasion....

Little over the top? 8)

Don't be too less pissed, I'm sure going green also gives them some sort of federal incentive or funding or some monetary gain. And we all know that monetary gain is something we do not want our organizations partaking of. ^_^
LadyCandy

Postby LadyCandy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:32 am

strawberri wrote:What happens when the advertisers of magazines going digital realize the people wanting to keep/print certain articles or copies of said magazines are only printing the sections of interest...not the ads?

My take on it anyway. I like to hold a MAGAZINE and read it...not sit at the computer and read one...makes me dizzy and hurts my eyes. I stare at one four nights a week...that's enough.

I know...I'm old and I hate change...at least that's what my friends say! But I like A2Zzz...so I guess I will read what articles interest me on the computer and forget the rest. And nope, I don't have the fancy phones, Kindles, or the rest of the "hand held" reader stuff. :wink:

(Note the "I hate change" statement - and I also like to keep the loggers working)

I'd like to preface the following with a big <3

Ok, old people, I don't know what rock you've been living under, but all periodicals are going digital. E-readers, they were invented. Borders is closing up SHOP, that's how quickly books made of paper that you can hold are becoming obsolete!

Magazines and newspapers across the country have been moving towards digital subscriptions for years! Articles below reflect this fact.

http://247wallst.com/2009/03/06/a-solut ... -products/

http://www.time.com/time/business/artic ... 85,00.html

http://collegewebeditor.com/blog/index. ... practices/

http://androidcommunity.com/nook-for-an ... -20110513/

http://talkingnewmedia.blogspot.com/201 ... al-as.html

http://www.twistimage.com/blog/archives ... l-by-2014/

I, for one, applaud the AAST for keeping up with the times. :) <3
LadyCandy

Postby strawberri » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:41 am

We old people know they are all going digital eventually....I'm just stating I don't like it. Will it stop them from going digital? ...no.

But that's one of the perks of being old....you can voice your opinion regardless of the subject matter.

Thanks for the links but we do still watch the news and sometimes we are actually knowledgeable on current events. :)
strawberri

Postby somnonaut » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:20 pm

strawberri wrote:What happens when the advertisers of magazines going digital realize the people wanting to keep/print certain articles or copies of said magazines are only printing the sections of interest...not the ads?

Also how a lab might have notes written by multiple people on the actual physical pages of the magazine, so that the lab specific thoughts could be expressed alongside the printed words.
OMG the horror. How dare I think of SHARING the AtoZzzz. that is NOT what it is for. You are to horde it and make sure ONLY dues paying members read it on your reader. Ohhh, how convenient. Another thing that will go the way of the dodo within 3 years. AtoZzzz its been fun knowing ya.
somnonaut

Postby Rick » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:07 pm

Hm, isn't a print copy also a tool for recruiting new members?
Leave a copy in the lab and others might see what they could get as part of their membership, maybe even consider writing an article about a favorite topic. Digital is fine, but it is tough to disseminate to those prospective members out there. Only dues paying members will be able to read it when it is completely digital, is this preaching to the choir?
What will they hand out at their booth during the APSS meeting?
Hundred dollar bills? :wink:
Rick

Postby labman2 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:18 pm

Rick wrote:Hm, isn't a print copy also a tool for recruiting new members?
Leave a copy in the lab and others might see what they could get as part of their membership, maybe even consider writing an article about a favorite topic. Digital is fine, but it is tough to disseminate to those prospective members out there. Only dues paying members will be able to read it when it is completely digital, is this preaching to the choir?

Well, a good manager :wink: like the ones out here, will print a few copies for all the staff. Now that also may hurt the AAST because folks will say they joined for the magazine only... and now their good manager prints it for em for free! So... both ways may hurt the AAST membership recruiting efforts. Me, I like it though, because I can get to the issue as long as I am by some sort of e-reading device, and I dont have to look for-or carry around the hard copy. Cause , you know, when you are old, and you are carrying a folded up magaizine in your back pocket! And the LC will sterotype me and call me a dirty old man! :lol: :lol: -
labman2

Postby LadyCandy » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:28 am

labman2 wrote:

Well, a good manager :wink: like the ones out here, will print a few copies for all the staff. Now that also may hurt the AAST because folks will say they joined for the magazine only... and now their good manager prints it for em for free! So... both ways may hurt the AAST membership recruiting efforts. Me, I like it though, because I can get to the issue as long as I am by some sort of e-reading device, and I dont have to look for-or carry around the hard copy. Cause , you know, when you are old, and you are carrying a folded up magaizine in your back pocket! And the LC will sterotype me and call me a dirty old man! :lol: :lol: -

You're past old, you're a dinosaur :P
LadyCandy

Postby labman2 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:58 am

LadyCandy wrote:
labman2 wrote:

You're past old, you're a dinosaur :P

Aw hush child! :wink:
labman2

Postby Msharpe76 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:15 am

You don't need a hard copy of the magazine to share it with the world. Or show it to people who might be interested in their own subscription. The AAST must know they cannot stop those who borrow someone else's magazine when they are done with it to read themselves.

And it's just as shareable in digital format, as it ever was before.

EDITED BY MODERATOR: The link posted contained protected material and was removed at the request of the copyright owner. Material may only be posted when is meets the fair use clause.
Msharpe76

PreviousNext

Return to AAST/AARC/ASET