American Association for Respiratory Care
American Society of Electroneurodiagnostic Technologists

Moderators: labman2, SCNVsleep

Postby LadyCandy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:37 pm

fanofcart wrote:
TheREMBaron wrote:
somnonaut wrote:Electron enslaver

I want that on a t-shirt!

The first go around at the university was for environmental studies. I can tell you this much for sure. I like paper in my hands!
I can read books and magazines all day. Computers and those e-read-ee dohickeys give me migraines. Migraines almost as bad as I get from sunlight.

Agreed. If we can get away from the frivolity about purple horses and stuff...The fact remains that many people would still prefer a paper copy, that this represents a reduction of member benefits, and that the AAST has not lowered their dues even though they must be saving millions of dollars a year (joke) not mailing out a hard copy.

The AAST surveyed it's membership. The results supported the move to digital. One cannot expect a membership organization to serve the needs and wants of each and every individual member, especially if those needs happen to contradict. The best we can hope for, just as with any body representing a mass of people (congress, run with it somno!) is to provide for the majority. And the majority okayed the digital format.

Membership votes, actions are taken, if they were making decisions in spite of popular opinion, I could understand a concern. 20% isn't my idea of "many" people wanting something. What % of approval do you think the AAST should garner in order to move forward with a decision/change? I don't understand what they could do to better serve the membership?
LadyCandy

Postby somnonaut » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:42 pm

OIY vey.

"especially if those needs happen to contradict."
Contradict the sampling of the membership.

So let's see Membership is maybe 5,000, sampling of returned questions Maybe 50, and we are not supposed to be peeved at them acting on this flawed rationale of only appealing to respondents of the survey?

Do you even listen to your own thoughts before you sit before the keyboard.

Go to bed. And NO, sleepiness will not be an excuse when you return to review your words here. You are the one who does not believe in the human's ability to tell when they are sleepy.
somnonaut

Postby strawberri » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:49 pm

What about offering a choice as this magazine does:

Yes, I would like to renew my FREE print and/or digital subscription to: ____________________________, which offers respiratory care and sleep medicine news, management strategies, clinical updates and comprehensive coverage of industry trends.

Subscriptions are FREE to respiratory care and sleep medicine professionals at every level-from administrators to staff.

Please provide the following information so that we can continue your FREE subscription.

Choose one:

____Print and digital format

____Digital format only

Offering a choice is best in most situations, IMO.
strawberri

Postby somnonaut » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:54 pm

These organizations make decisions based on pre-conceived notions, and then fit the "data" so that it supports their desired outcome.
Happened with Lifetime and BRPT.
And now this with AAST.

They both went into the whole task with WANTING to have it that way.
somnonaut

Postby TheREMBaron » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:27 pm

I just did a survey. Statistically, 100% of voters checked "Yes, I am a bibliophile!"

To quote Homer Simpson, "Facts are meaningless. They can be used to prove anything."

Shortcake has a great point too
TheREMBaron

Postby LadyCandy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:01 am

somnonaut wrote:OIY vey.

"especially if those needs happen to contradict."
Contradict the sampling of the membership.

So let's see Membership is maybe 5,000, sampling of returned questions Maybe 50, and we are not supposed to be peeved at them acting on this flawed rationale of only appealing to respondents of the survey?

Do you even listen to your own thoughts before you sit before the keyboard.

Go to bed. And NO, sleepiness will not be an excuse when you return to review your words here. You are the one who does not believe in the human's ability to tell when they are sleepy.

I don't need an excuse. If members choose to ignore a survey, they have no cause to complain. Just as folks too lazy to vote in elections have no cause to complain about the officials who were elected.

Participate in decisions. Now we expect the AAST to be psychic, and just know what everyone wants, even when they don't bother taking 45 seconds to respond to a survey?

How better should a membership organization canvas the wants and desires of it's members?
LadyCandy

Postby LadyCandy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:02 am

strawberri wrote:What about offering a choice as this magazine does:

Yes, I would like to renew my FREE print and/or digital subscription to: ____________________________, which offers respiratory care and sleep medicine news, management strategies, clinical updates and comprehensive coverage of industry trends.

Subscriptions are FREE to respiratory care and sleep medicine professionals at every level-from administrators to staff.

Please provide the following information so that we can continue your FREE subscription.

Choose one:

____Print and digital format

____Digital format only

Offering a choice is best in most situations, IMO.

Now that's the most genius point made yet!

AAST could, in all honesty, please everyone, not just 80%, by offering to let those who don't care about print copies receive it digitally, and those determined to receive print keep their magazine!

Berri, you should so e-mail a2zzz with that idea!
LadyCandy

Postby LadyCandy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:04 am

somnonaut wrote:These organizations make decisions based on pre-conceived notions, and then fit the "data" so that it supports their desired outcome.
Happened with Lifetime and BRPT.
And now this with AAST.

They both went into the whole task with WANTING to have it that way.

I can't argue with crazy conspiracies in which it's presumed data is made up, and corrupt leadership does whatever they feel like doing. You also can't prove it, so there isn't a real point to trying to figure out the truth.

But yes, it is possible to make up statistics, and fudge survey numbers...perhaps these sorts of surveys should be monitored. Or a list of who voted and which way made public. I'm down for that.
LadyCandy

Postby somnonaut » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:56 pm

You don't get it, they don't want to have the burden of a paper based publication, and have set their mind on having an electronic one, and have only created the appearance of choice (poll) and now have plausible deniability. Look at the way the AASM is going.
somnonaut

Postby LadyCandy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:10 pm

somnonaut wrote:You don't get it, they don't want to have the burden of a paper based publication, and have set their mind on having an electronic one, and have only created the appearance of choice (poll) and now have plausible deniability. Look at the way the AASM is going.

It's an interesting theory...um, but do you have any proof, evidence, or even strange coincidences that support it? Lol
LadyCandy

Postby TheREMBaron » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:57 pm

somnonaut wrote:You don't get it, they don't want to have the burden of a paper based publication, and have set their mind on having an electronic one, and have only created the appearance of choice (poll) and now have plausible deniability. Look at the way the AASM is going.

Miserly SOBs do like to call themselves "green" these days.
TheREMBaron

Postby somnonaut » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:14 pm

LadyCandy wrote:

It's an interesting theory...um, but do you have any proof, evidence, or even strange coincidences that support it? Lol

As I said, look at their master AASM. What are they doing with their journals? Electronifying them, but interestingly keeping the membership dues the same. Hmmm, I would think that since they REDUCED their overhead, they would reduce the dues so more members could join.
Then the co-inkidink of accepting the typically low response from a "survey" as their justification. Any statistician will tell you that that population is not a true assessment. But, if it suits your needs for justification... perfect.
Keep burying your heads in the sand. I hear it is nice and warm down there.
somnonaut

Postby LadyCandy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:24 am

Has anyone gotten their september issue print copy? I think mine got lost in the mail. :(
LadyCandy

Postby Sleepy in the South » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:55 am

The AAST extended the article CEUs deadline for the september issue to January 31, 2012.
Sleepy in the South

Postby LadyCandy » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:19 am

Speaking of late issues.

I believe the December issue will be out next week. horray.
LadyCandy

PreviousNext

Return to AAST/AARC/ASET