What I was wondering

Moderator: labman2

Postby labman2 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:25 pm

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/article ... dium=email

Love when researchers start to work on things we talked and felt were coinnections about 6 years ago... :wink:

Better late than never! Let the research flow!
labman2

Re: What I was wondering

Postby labman2 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:53 pm

http://www.newsday.com/news/health/scie ... -1.9495937

Heres is another link of beta amyloid shield and Alzheimers! Now to see if this enzyme is increased via each apnea assault

I tell ya- We were on to something a while before these folks! :lol:

Keep the research flowing!
labman2

Postby somnonaut » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:11 pm

You mean DECREASE this enzyme with each apnea insult, no?

"The researchers also found that boosting levels of a particular enzyme appeared to help reduce formation of the toxic tangles."
somnonaut

Postby labman2 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:14 pm

mmm.... I think from this earlier research I had posted that it is the increase of the BACE1 activity enzyme that they are referring to targeting...

I think the passage you quoted was another finding as they said ALSO.... in that sentence..

Below is the earlier research from another party which seems to indicate an increase of BASE1

Amyloid plaques and neurofibrillary tangles are the two hallmark findings on autopsy studies in patients with Alzheimer’s. Accumulation of amyloid-β protein is the major component of plaques, which is derived from a breakdown of β-amyloid precursor protein (APP) by an enzyme called β-site APP cleavage enzyme (BACE1). It turns out that hypoxia (lowered levels of oxygen) stimulates BACE1 activity, which cleaves APP, leading to more accumulation of β-amyloid protein
labman2

Postby labman2 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:44 pm

http://www.sleepreviewmag.com/2014/10/c ... NDgwMTQzS0

More connections ....from Sleep Review posting ...
labman2

Postby somnonaut » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:31 pm

somnonaut

Postby labman2 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:48 pm

http://www.medicaldaily.com/sleep-probl ... ers-313542

Thanks Rock for bringing this to my attention!

Brendan
labman2

Postby labman2 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:35 pm

http://www.sciencealert.com/new-alzheim ... y-function

Thanks Claude for this very interesting and promising article! I reached out via email to Professor J Gurtz!
labman2

Postby labman2 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:35 pm

More folks doing research towards what we were saying for years in our late night tech hypothesis !  Exciting!

http://www.sleepreviewmag.com/2015/06/p ... MTk2OTc5S0
labman2

Postby stars » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:49 am

New Medicine In The Offing To Stave Off Dementia in Alzheimer’s
HealthJun 9, 2015 0

Image credit: Telegraph.co.uk

A recent research in Texas unveiled a new medicine that originally prevents organ transplant rejection and can also be used on patients with Alzheimer’s.

Alzheimer’s is a disease that causes extreme nuisances for the elderly. The alarming numbers have been the cause as to why researchers are trying to come up with ways to lessen dementia, so as to somehow improve the quality of living of our elders.

“In patients who are over 65 years, 11 percent of the general population had dementia, compared with 1.02 percent of the study subjects. In Americans who are over 75 years, 15.3 percent of the population had dementia, compared with 0.6 percent of the study subjects,” said Luca Cicalese, a medical professor at the University of Texas.

Although there may be medicines that are coming out to prevent dementia, still, there is no specific drug that can totally counteract. An enzyme that mismanages brain cell and memory retention, calcineurin, is said to be very helpful in starting the synthesis of toxic proteins that are seen in persons with dementia.

These calcineurin-inhibiting drugs are made initially to decrease the immune systems’ response when a new organ is placed inside the body. However, with further studies, it has been known that the calcineurin does not only play a role in the immune system, but it has also something to do with memory retention.

Initially, this drug was used for the sole purpose of immunosuppression, so as to prevent rejection during an organ transplant. However, medical practitioners have observed that these patients who have been injected with the drug had lower prevalence rates for Alzheimer’s. Tacrolimus or cyclosporine is one example of this drug and it has been used for years by medical practitioners.

The discovery of this new medical treatment gave way for researchers to now focus on preventing immunosuppression while still gaining the resuls of preventing dementia.

Creating a drug that is similar to Tacrolimus or cyclosporine, minus the immunosuppression effect, can best treat dementia. As of now, doctors have tapered the use of cyclosporine, so as to limit immunosuppression when dealing with Alzheimer’s patients.

In time, a perfect drug combination will be out on the market that is specific for old age patients, basing on this new discovery.
stars

Postby labman2 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:49 pm

Great stuff! Thanks for adding this Stars!
labman2

Postby stars » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:33 pm

Any time we in same boat with same problem
stars

Postby somnonaut » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:28 pm

I have actually been thinking about this more as now my Father In Law is suffering from the degradation of his mental state.
I have come to the realization that our minds are the product of us keeping our thoughts in check.
I put it recently to a friend.
If our brain was to just have random electrical activity, there would be no ability to organize said activity. Ergo,the brain must be having a process to cull those thoughts that are not useful (inhibition.)
It is this inhibition that is what one learns as they grow from birth. The inhibition of how to move muscles (yes our behavior is a well orchestrated cascade of excitatory and inhibitory impulses making sure muscles that need to contract do so at the same time as muscles that need to relax do so. This is learning, on a physical scale. This mostly happens during sleep. We see the ontogeny of sleep through the years but we do not really lay out the developmental milestones along a sleep development ruler. Why do kids start to crawl and stand around 4-6 months and this is where spindles and K-complexes appear. Track the changes of both. When they start to walk,and babble, and talk, and jump...etc. Seriously.

Back to inhibition.
This inhibition is actually MORE important than excitation. We can only think because we control our thoughts through inhibition.

It is the summation of our inhibitions that creates our self-awareness. We know our limitations. It is the Ying to the Yang of contemplating. Contemplation is only random thoughts without inhibition. Random thoughts are of no use. We actually never have truly random thoughts, as there are limits imposed by reflexes and built-in inhibitory neuronal patterns that limit our ability to produce random thought patterns. We have been inbred for thinking. It is what was evolutionarily beneficial. Our ability to discern the world around us through our senses...inhibition. The ability to recall these sensations about the world in the form of memories...inhibition. Inhibition is the Sleep to the Wake of excitation.

Consciousness is inhibition; fore if there is no inhibition, there is no controlled thought. No controlled thought = random thoughts, which is not consciousness. Ergo consciousness is inhibition of thought. We are the sum of our limitations.
somnonaut

Postby somnonaut » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:35 pm

As to how it belongs in this thread, if these different contaminants short circuit the brain, then they are probably defeating our inhibitory pathways. This can sometimes b seen in how these sufferers tend to "speak their mind" with no ability to self-control what they say (loss of inhibition.)
It seems to be a higher order short circuit, not a full blown "cross wire A to Wire B" = leg move when I think about food type of "short circuit."
It is the opposite of the growth from birth process.
As an infant, the brain has no ideas or memories upon which to create intentions out to the the muscles to set them into action
In elderly with dementia, the brain has all manner of memories but getting those intentions out to the muscles in the proper cascade is what fails.
At least this is the subtlety I am coming to appreciate in this disease state.
somnonaut

Postby labman2 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:59 pm

labman2

PreviousNext

Return to Physiology and Pathology of Sleep